F-11D correct paint / finish?

After a fruitless search, I'm trying to figure out the proper paint and sheen for the standard F-11D.

I have quite a bit of Rustoleum Painter's TouchUltra Cover 2X in gloss and semi-gloss white from the Anovos ANH stunt TK ABS, and semi-gloss and satin canyon black. Not sure on which "silver" / aluminum would work best.

Recommendations? Kit is coming w/ rubber hand grips so don't need to worry about that part.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the same searches and decided to use Rustoleum 2x white semi-gloss and Rustoleum 2x flat black.

I had lots of trouble with silver/chrome.  I spent hours trying to figure out how to paint shiny silver that will last and there's nothing. Just nothing works from a can.  There's a good youtube video I found where a guy compared all chrome paints by painting plastic spoons and Rustoleum won.  But, the problem I found with all these silver/chrome paints is you can absolutely not clear-coat them with anything and if you touch it too much they just become grey.  I just did a final silver paint finish on my parts and they are going to hang dry for probably 2-3 weeks before I touch them again.

I used bondo glazing putty and a filler primer before final sanding and finishing.  most parts look good, some better than others depending on how much time I spend filling and sanding. I had no luck finding a good way to fill and sand the slots.  I found something called "sandits" the other day, but I'm 90% done with my finishing already so it is what it is now.   I'll get some Sandits for my next blaster project.

Edited by Jonelli

I'm starting to plan an F-11D build and will be using Alclad-2 for the metal parts.  The biggest down side is it means I'll need an airbrush but can give exccelent results.  They do a clear coat for it too.

This reference picture is pretty explicite about the white being Gloss.

post-16761-0-93095100-1460811872_thumb.j

As for the black, my personal belief and tests make me lean toward satin black. To show you, here's what the black on my blaster looks like:

28128336230_f8d2792631_b.jpg

• Like 2

I tried black semi-gloss in the Rustoleum 2x and it was too shiny for me.  I'd show you my barrel in the Rustoleum 2x FLAT BLACK, but I can't figure out how to attach any more images or upload pics to my profile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
3 minutes ago, GermanRedrum said:

Anyone kmow where to get polished metal or chrome parts for the blaster?

Posted in your other thread, painted silver from references

lf (12).jpg

6 minutes ago, GermanRedrum said:

Thanks but I’m looking for aluminum or chrome. Thoughts on where I can get some?

Nobody makes them here, you could try the FOTK build group on Facebook