AP ANH Stunt Build-- March to EIB!

Congratulations! Great job sticking through the build and welcome to the ranks!!  

Thank you! It was definitely a long road! But worth it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need some ideas. Tweaking toward Centurion, and this is my major dilemma. How I trimmed the ab/kidney has left this.

ODk2vyM.jpg

So, CRL states “Cut-out notches at the bottom of right and left sides of the Kidney Armor are optional. If present, each notch is approximately 22 mm tall and the back of the notch ideally is aligned with the front edges of the Posterior Armor plate..”

So should I... A, fill in this spot with ABS paste and just go “no notch” route; or B, trim the butt plate back so I can make this a complete 22mm kidney notch?

How do things look when you have the armor on?  My notches and butt plate don't line up when it's just laying around.  But when I put it on, everything lines up pretty well.   Here are some pics from my EIB/Centurion applications, and you can see how the butt plate doesn't line up with the kidney.
33092136422_b158fd1d7a_b.jpg32433865953_a13b882c6e_b.jpg

As I understand it, if the kidney doesn't have a notch when you received it, then you don't need to create one.  If it's been there the whole time, you need to keep it there.  

Another thing is the CRL use of the word "ideally". Things should line up as good as you can make them. 

Edited by Cricket

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I took a much needed break from armor building. But, I’ve had my first troop as TK 18131 and now I’m ready to make some modifications!

First,@Cricket, here is the pic of my kidney/butt connection with the armor on. In the second pic, months ago (without asking FISD, I know, shameful), I put some ABS paste to try to fill in the mini notch.

eMJ3dUy.jpg

vYat2rf.jpg

So the question remains—- fill the notch? Cut the butt? Or say goodbye to higher level approval chances??

First, question— so this is my first time to wear armor for extended periods (not just sizing)— does everyone feel sorta “clunky” and uncoordinated? Or is that just me?

Next— looking at some pics from the con...

sLw51kc.jpg

1– Left shin. I have a stirrup, and it’s still twisting! Gotta fix that!

2– Thighs, particularly left thigh. Remember, how I shimmed my thighs. I’ve lost weight since then (now at 53lbs total), and my thighs are way too big. I’ve stuffed them with foam, but I’m so unhappy with how they look, fit, walk, etc. They just feel huge. And do this wonky sideways thing. Ugh. I’m obviously not gonna gain the weight back, so may need to look at new thighs...

3– Also with the thighs, definitely going to have to cut some mobility room in the back. Had to climb stairs and that was a feat.

4– Gonna sucks it up and shorten the forearms. And tackle my fear of recreating return edges.

5– A handful of other small tweaks. But looks like I’ve got about another month before my next troop.

• Like 1

1. Install velcro on the front of your boot and bbn inside shin to maintain alignment. 

2. If you E6000 the cover strips, remove than trim armor to fit.

As you mentioned a few small tweeks and you should be good to go.

40 minutes ago, CoatHanger said:

First,@Cricket, here is the pic of my kidney/butt connection with the armor on. In the second pic, months ago (without asking FISD, I know, shameful), I put some ABS paste to try to fill in the mini notch.

So the question remains—- fill the notch? Cut the butt? Or say goodbye to higher level approval chances??

Wondering why you would need to either fill the notch or cutt the butt plate?  Nothing needs to line up at the bottom of the ab/kidney and butt plates because they are covered by the belt.  Nothing lines up at all on my kit when I'm moving around.  :)  But like Tony said, notch is optional for L3 now.  Yay!

...so this is my first time to wear armor for extended periods (not just sizing)— does everyone feel sorta “clunky” and uncoordinated? Or is that just me?

I think that's normal for the most part.  You will get used to it!  haha...

My comments in the quote below are in bold and purple....

1– Left shin. I have a stirrup, and it’s still twisting! Gotta fix that!

Verify if there is something external that is pushing your shin to twist.  Check how it's trimmed and how the bottoms of the shins are hitting your boots.  It's most likely too long in an area there, which is making the shin rotate naturally.  A little trim will probably fix the twist issue.

2– Thighs, particularly left thigh. Remember, how I shimmed my thighs. I’ve lost weight since then (now at 53lbs total), and my thighs are way too big. I’ve stuffed them with foam, but I’m so unhappy with how they look, fit, walk, etc. They just feel huge. And do this wonky sideways thing. Ugh. I’m obviously not gonna gain the weight back, so may need to look at new thighs...

Congrats on your weight loss!  Way to go!!!  
Check how the thighs are attached to your garters.  I don't recall how you have them strapped inside the thighs.  Sometimes that can fix an oddly suspended thigh.  Also check how your booty might be hitting the back of the thigh.    Sometimes it's the booty hitting the thigh as you move around that causes the thigh to rotate in that manner.   A small trim to accomodate things back there at the top of the thigh can help solve this issue.

If you have more than two or three fingers width in the thighs, then you can definitely size them down.  If you used e6000, you should be able to take the thighs apart at the back and size them down without much trouble.  I'd try that before dropping dime for new thighs.

3– Also with the thighs, definitely going to have to cut some mobility room in the back. Had to climb stairs and that was a feat.

Half moons are the way to go!  :) 

4– Gonna sucks it up and shorten the forearms. And tackle my fear of recreating return edges.

No need to recreate a return edge if you're trimming the forearms down!  Cut only from the wrists.  You can pretty much take off all of the return on the top part of the forearm, even create a deeper swoop on the inner forearm if you need to.  But I wouldn't mess with cutting the top of the forearm for length.  

Hang in there!  You look great, and congrats on your first troop!

Edited by Cricket

3 hours ago, CoatHanger said:

So this little divot won't ding me?

You should be good to go:)

Pic for reference, RS kit and my personal RS kit and one can see that the right side of yours match the right side pretty close.

1RbkzMD.jpg

B8Dfh6D.jpg

Edited by TheSwede

• 5 months later...

Ok. I’m officially motivated to head for EIB. Hoping I can get there before Celebration.

On my to do list—
-@justjoseph63 handguards on the way.
- have the supplies to rework my slightly wonky TD
- have a few fit issues I need to work out
- gotta fix that drifting left shin. I have a stirrup, but it looks like I need to add a snap too
- D-ring onto E-11

I’m gonna see if I can rename this thread so that I can keep all my build in one place, but either way, see you on the March to 1000!

• Like 1

• CoatHanger changed the title to AP ANH Stunt Build-- March to EIB!
  • 1 month later...

I’ve done several “fit” mods, and I’m very happy. I made the connection between my chest and ab tighter, which effectively pulls my chest piece down. This is allowing my helmet to sit lower, increasing comfort/visibility. Also, it’s helped with back overlap.

I also re did my thighs.

Here is before (notice the upper flare that I had to create due to some extra weight in the hips.)

sLw51kc.jpg

And an after. Much snugger. And that sniper plate shift is *better* although it still frustrates me.

WcNFU0Y.jpg

Okay— next up to do, TD fixes.

First, where can I get screen accurate screws? It appears my 2mile Troop left me a screw short, so if I’m replacing I might as well go screen accurate.

But in the below pics you can see why I need to redo the TD. My holes were drilled wonky, so my clips can’t/won’t sit flush without everything being wonky. Thankfully it’s not a super hard redo.

ish8a3f.jpg

viI3rZT.jpg

71ZXqIM.jpg

Then... small hiccup... I got some sweet hand guards from justjoseph63 (despite the USPS’s attempts to keep them from me), and I have hidden them from myself. They are here... somewhere.....

21 minutes ago, CoatHanger said:

First, where can I get screen accurate screws?

Joseph or Tony can supply those and apart from beeing screen accurate they are now also a requirement for EIB. Or most hardware stores should have them - slotted pan head:salute:

eZa5jpP.jpg?2

Joseph or Tony can supply those and apart from beeing screen accurate they are now also a requirement for EIB. Or most hardware stores should have them - slotted pan head:salute:
eZa5jpP.jpg?2&key=b01677939499875becfa813f168bf27e9629c23e687e96792b4283e9832d7a7b

Ok! Great! Headed to Lowe’s here in a bit. Apparently my piece of PVC for my TD was commandeered for another project.

So what I had to do to fix my thigh issue/Knee plate issue

Get some dense foam, like packing material type 

Form a V in the top front of your left shin, just below where your kneecap is

Place a curved piece in the bottom of the rear of your left thigh 

I have had 0 issues, since i did this

So what I had to do to fix my thigh issue/Knee plate issue

Get some dense foam, like packing material type 

Form a V in the top front of your left shin, just below where your kneecap is
Place a curved piece in the bottom of the rear of your left thigh 

I have had 0 issues, since i did this

I have foam, in those exact places even, but mine is not that dense of foam. More like cushion foam. I’ll try the denser and see if that’s the key!

Found the elusive handguards. Not sure why I put them in my bedroom closet, but apparently I had a reason at the time.

a5XZfVA.jpg

9UNAuwR.jpg

Also, I attached a D ring to my blaster. This one look okay? Does it need to be weathered?

SDMy7PO.jpg

Looking good Lindsey. Regarding the blaster "D" ring. Though it may be acceptable at basic for the higher levels of approval I highly recommend you swap it out for something more accurate. Trooperbay sells them if you're interested. 

https://trooperbay.com/e-11-blaster-d-ring

Looking good Lindsey. Regarding the blaster "D" ring. Though it may be acceptable at basic for the higher levels of approval I highly recommend you swap it out for something more accurate. Trooperbay sells them if you're interested. 

https://trooperbay.com/e-11-blaster-d-ring

Ugh. Of course. Two steps forward, one step back on my March to EIB.

Thanks for the feedback. Trooperbay D-ring ordered!

• Like 1