AP ANH Stunt Build-- March to EIB!

4 minutes ago, JenEcho said:

I was worried about this too when my armour was laid out, but found that once it's on your body, the back will naturally lean out a bit and rest flat against the kidney. It took a bit of adjusting of the shoulder straps to get it just right, but it did look fine once it's on. 

Ok! Great!  

I think this is part of my overlap problem.  I had my connects done for no gap.  When I put it on, it made overlap.  I'll start with that fix first, then adjust the shoulder straps!

Thank you!!

Edited by CoatHanger

Yeah, what Jenny said.  I also have the gap - but I find that standing up very straight or even arching my back a bit helps close the gap.  I little pointer there for when you do your approval photos. ;) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoatHanger said:

Urgent help (just because I actually have 2 hours right now to work on stuff)..

I’m looking at my back piece overlap (see above pictures.) When I lay out the armor with no overlap, this gap is created due to the convex shape of the bottom of the back piece.

Is this okay?!

CRL says “no or minimal overlap” but doesn’t say anything about a gap.

QdfSmDr.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you lay the pieces out like this that can happen. What I did was I held both the back and kidney together as they should sit on my body, the back piece with lean outward, and then taped (Both sides) with blue tape to keep it in place. I then marked where I was going to put my snaps, once snaps are installed it should stay there. there may be slight overlap at the corners but that's ok. the thing you DONT WANT is the gap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CoatHanger said:

Urgent help (just because I actually have 2 hours right now to work on stuff)..

I’m looking at my back piece overlap (see above pictures.) When I lay out the armor with no overlap, this gap is created due to the convex shape of the bottom of the back piece.

Is this okay?!

CRL says “no or minimal overlap” but doesn’t say anything about a gap.

Minimal gap and no overlap is what were looking for. The tighter the connecting straps between the sections the less likely you have any issues. That said, it doesn't have to be perfect. Keep up the great work :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Minimal gap and no overlap is what were looking for. The tighter the connecting straps between the sections the less likely you have any issues. That said, it doesn't have to be perfect. Keep up the great work :jc_doublethumbup:

CRL allows for minimal overlap? so im confused. I have always seen the NO Gap commented on the apps. so im confused. if the overlap is not wanted, it should be removed from the CRL

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Back plate shall have no, or minimal overlap of the kidney plate.
  • AM v1 back plate must be replaced with a more screen accurate version.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Commander Gree said:

CRL allows for minimal overlap? so im confused. I have always seen the NO Gap commented on the apps. so im confused. if the overlap is not wanted, it should be removed from the CRL

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Back plate shall have no, or minimal overlap of the kidney plate.
  • AM v1 back plate must be replaced with a more screen accurate version.

Key words here: Minimal gap and no overlap is what were looking for.

Didn't say mandatory. 

• Like 2

Hoping to have some “full kit” (yes, with pants on!) pics in the morning. I know you are all waiting with baited breath..

I did water bathe the shoulder straps.

l3Pl68J.jpg

I think they look much better.

Also, I attached my thigh ammo belt (sorry, no picture). But, due to a previous error, I only had 1 split rivet left. So I used one split rivet, and one double cap rivet... will this need to be corrected before L3?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoatHanger said:

Hoping to have some “full kit” (yes, with pants on!) pics in the morning. I know you are all waiting with baited breath..

I did water bathe the shoulder straps.

l3Pl68J.jpg

I think they look much better.

Also, I attached my thigh ammo belt (sorry, no picture). But, due to a previous error, I only had 1 split rivet left. So I used one split rivet, and one double cap rivet... will this need to be corrected before L3?

hmmmm.....I am worried about the angle of your shoulder bridges, there is gonna be a lot of stress on that part of the armor, and they are already prone to breaking. Just use caution with them

The rivet requirement doesnt change from L2 to L3, and it says in L2 that a Double Cap Rivet is ok.

So, I have requested pre-approval.  I know this is a marathon, and I know I still have lots of small things that I need to tweak, but I am at the point in the journey where I need to sprint.  After over a year of working, I'm itching to finally have a TK ID.  So, any who follow me here, head on over to put in your two cents.  

PS-- I already know I need to figure out how to fix that sniper knee plate.  It's wanting to tuck under my thigh.  Suggestions?

NpeMukD.jpg

F8KCS0a.jpg

• Like 2

And to continue marching onward and upward... Was reviewing my submission photos and this cover strip was driving me crazy.

472PEWt.jpg

It kinda worked out perfectly though. I remember glueing this in the first place and being frustrated by a slight curvature in the thigh armor. To fix, I just separated the upper two thirds of the coverstrip (yay E6000!), and reglued that portion to fit the bend. I’m very happy with it now.

XyCIQGG.jpg

I have also added foam in the back of my left thigh (near knee crease) to help with the sniper plate issue.

3MLYRD5.jpg

If you’ll notice, I already had some foam in the thighs due to a sizing issue (shimmed them and then lost weight). Foam is a lifesaver. I opted to glue velcro to my foam so it’ll be removable and replaceable if it gets permanently squished or nasty sweaty. I attempted wrapping the foam pieces in packing tape as I’d read somewhere on a thread, but then every time I moved I sounded like I was sitting down on my grandmother’s plastic covered couch. Didn’t think that sound was part of the CRL.

I also added another small strapping to help keep the edge of my butt plate from wanting to flare.

zzmFKCp.jpg

• Like 4

One of the awesome parts about being in a small garrison? Besides essentially knowing all your fellow troopers?? Submitting your approval photos, getting GML approval, and 501st approval in the same day!

TK-18131 reporting for duty!

moXVn8Q.jpg

A pic with the other TK I built (now 9 months old) while building my armor.

• Like 3

Huge congrats!!!  You look amazing! Now to get going on a FOTK Battle Buddy build for the little one. :)

• Like 1

Huge congrats!!!  You look amazing! Now to get going on a FOTK Battle Buddy build for the little one. 

Thank you!! And thank you for all your help! I’m going to keep working and tweaking to try to reach Centurion. (Still not 100% happy about my back gap or forearms and still don’t know what to do about that pesky kidney notch.) And then— kiddo armor!!

Yay!!! but your not done yet trooper! Celebrate, then submit your app for EIB!

Thank you!! I feel like I have so much stuff to tweak before EIB