AP ANH Stunt Build-- March to EIB!

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

I think it’s looking great. And don’t worry about the pics for here just make sure when you do garrison submission pics you have plenty of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  I'm starting to feel like I can see the submission finish line!

Just wanted to share a bit of my research, for anyone else who either doesn't use a drill very often or is in general nervous about drilling their armor, OR both!.  I can not guarantee the correctness of all this, but this is what I have found in build threads.  

Drill Bit Sizes for the Various Holes

Split Rivets (Left ab/kidney) -- 1/8"

Chicago Screws (Belt to canvas) -- 5/32"

Snaps (Butt snaps, Right Floating snap) -- 5/32"

Pop Rivets (drop boxes) -- 3/16"

Double Cap Rivets (Thigh Ammo Pack) -- ?? I haven't found this one yet.  Feel free to comment, and I'll update!

Hope this helps someone else!

16 hours ago, CoatHanger said:

dBj0TfA.jpg

Hey Lindsey, I'm wondering why you applied the ABS paste all over the outside of your armor to attach your cod?  I know it'll be hidden by the belt, but you could have kept things clean on the outside by applying the ABS to the inside seams.  Just curious!  :) 

12 hours ago, Frank75139 said:

After you reach that then you’ll be wanting to do another project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRUTH!!!!!  ^^^^^^

1 hour ago, CoatHanger said:

Just wanted to share a bit of my research, for anyone else who either doesn't use a drill very often or is in general nervous about drilling their armor, OR both!.  I can not guarantee the correctness of all this, but this is what I have found in build threads.  

Drill Bit Sizes for the Various Holes

Split Rivets (Left ab/kidney) -- 1/8"

Chicago Screws (Belt to canvas) -- 5/32"

Snaps (Butt snaps, Right Floating snap) -- 5/32"

Pop Rivets (drop boxes) -- 3/16"

Double Cap Rivets (Thigh Ammo Pack) -- ?? I haven't found this one yet.  Feel free to comment, and I'll update!

Hope this helps someone else!

I found a shortcut.... I ditched the drill entirely and make my holes by hand with a step bit.  :)  The ABS is crazy easy to make holes with no effort by hand.  This is the one I use the most.

41813395485_982e567900.jpg

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Hey Lindsey, I'm wondering why you applied the ABS paste all over the outside of your armor to attach your cod?  I know it'll be hidden by the belt, but you could have kept things clean on the outside by applying the ABS to the inside seams.  Just curious!  :) 

In my mind, it was so I could sand it all down and make it look seamless. But now, 3 hours of elbow grease later, I am questioning my logic. 

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

I found a shortcut.... I ditched the drill entirely and make my holes by hand with a step bit.  :)  The ABS is crazy easy to make holes with no effort by hand.  This is the one I use the most.

41813395485_982e567900.jpg

Oh! What a great idea!  At this point I only have one more hole to drill, and my "supplies" budget is shot and then some, so I'll stick with my new found drill skills for now!

• Like 1

Okay, for all you "cod slicers".   What do I do with this extra?

GtG60WY.jpg?1

I worry about just cutting it all off and changing the contour of the hip/lower ab, but I also know this double seam isn't right...

Now back to sanding............

3 hours ago, CoatHanger said:

Okay, for all you "cod slicers".   What do I do with this extra?

I worry about just cutting it all off and changing the contour of the hip/lower ab, but I also know this double seam isn't right...

I would cut it.  Take a look at what I did for my RS TK.  

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/41502-crickets-wtf-hero-build-even-more-tk-for-the-vertically-challenged/?do=findComment&comment=566543

• Like 2

That piece looks like part of what was trimmed away from my AP kit

m4LCMPL.jpg

2nd edit: Ah, just went back and read the previous postings to see where that piece came from (slicing the cod and moving it up), so my example is no help. Sorry.:P

Edited by Twosolitudes
Adding pic

On 6/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, Twosolitudes said:

That piece looks like part of what was trimmed away from my AP kit

2nd edit: Ah, just went back and read the previous postings to see where that piece came from (slicing the cod and moving it up), so my example is no help. Sorry.:P

Yeah, it's apparently a special problem for us shorties! Thanks though!

Another update!

First, thigh ammo pack--

I used a method I saw on here to curve it using trimmed paint sticks and a heat gun.  

g6TDiUd.jpg

I'm happy with the result, albeit not perfect. 

mKjtCAE.jpg

Next, shin work--

I used ALL the clamps (minus what my husband is using currently) to E6000 on my back (LEFT) outer cover strip.  (You can't see it, but I write notes to myself all over my armor in pencil-- for example, the shin had "glue outer strip" on the lateral/outer side, and has "glue hook velcro" on the medial/inner side.  This is my way of TRYING to decrease errors made in haste or exhaustion.)

This is the front of my right shin.  Is that outer cover strip too long at top? I swear I measured twice...

4Kp0aPt.jpg

It looks like I might have a slow(ish) day at work tomorrow, so I have come up with a portable template to start making my nylon snap plates.  I'll use this ABS template to mark the size/hole on my black nylon with a paint pen, and then can solder the holes and burn the edges tonight (don't think it'd be smiled upon if I set up a full workshop in my office).  Oh, and building is always better with wine. 

ZSwBpi4.jpg 

And once that's done, I get to play with this new toy!  Gold Star Press Machine with Ring Snap Dye for Line 24/15m! (See @Cricket this is why I have no more supplies budget :))

w2SomDA.jpg

7 minutes ago, lucnak said:

I suggest cutting it as well!

The more I stare at it, the more I agree.  I'm trying to decide exactly how/where.  

Do I trim along the original cod line (red line) and hide all "flare out" under the belt? Easier option.

Or do I build up that seam to make it equal to the "flare out" and make it more gradual (blue line)? More time intensive option.

cqo6IhC.jpg

Last update today, I swear, but I got up at 0530...

I updated the holster strips to natural leather.  (Holster is from AP)

SjxzIRz.jpg

And, with the blaster-- (HyperFirm B-Grade)

f5OFwOC.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with Luc... Cut along the red line, especially for comfort!  Besides, it'll be covered by the belt. 

That snap press looks sweet!  Of course, I had to dash over to Google for pricing.. Eek.  I don't have any budget for that. :) At any rate, I kind of like bashing the snaps together now with a hammer.  Quite satisfying! 

• Like 1

Making strapping!

First I used this ABS template (1"x2", with holes drilled 10mm from edge) to mark my nylon strapping. (This is what I did at work on my lunch break!)

AcPrRjn.jpg

Then I marked one end of 2" elastic pieces with the same templates (to ensure that snaps will line up). After further review, I am likely going to make more of the elastic bits and make them longer.  

15XCUia.jpg?1

Next, soldering the edges and holes in the nylon.  I made another template and drilled some holes in my 2x4 to make it fool proof that I was putting the hole in the correct place.

r12yNS7.jpg?1

For the elastic bits, I folded over the last inch and soldered the holes "doubled up", so that I can have that extra strength on the elastic connections.

ftpUYrb.jpg

And then, using that fancy snap press machine!!  So easy! And quick! And the snaps come out perfect each time.  And it makes me happy having a magenta piece of equipment in the garage. 

Qi6OgaY.jpg

7VFyCb2.jpg

I'm still working on my thigh shim too.  So far, I have butt joined the shim to one half of the thigh.  Tonight I'll do final sizing and cut the shim to the appropriate taper to butt join it to the other side.  Thankfully I don't need to shim the bottom at the knee.  That fits fine.  Then, I'll put some ABS past on the seams, sand the heck out of it, and then decide how best to deal with the color difference (unfortunately I didn't have any scraps of my armor wide/long enough for my shim, so this is made out of spare ABS).  Then, lastly, will put a "fake" 20mm coverstrip straight down the middle.  Or at least that's my plan unless someone has a better way!

Looking like a really ugly 50mm back cover strip here:

NO5MGZa.jpg

But this is what it will sort of look like after sizing. 

krH1m44.jpg

Edited by CoatHanger

Belt work!

Okay, first I measured out the middle/center of the cloth belt, and lined that up with the armor belt.  Then marked my holes.  (Can you notice my shameful mistake? Ugh... I'll talk about it later.)

CFIQdzl.jpg

Next, I used ye olde soldering iron to create the holes in the canvas belt.  It took a punch through and a wiggle in order to make the hole big enough for my chicago screw.

OLpgRb0.jpg

Next, I used the paint stick method to mold the belt.  I hate that I can't remember who's build I found this on to give credit, but its an excellent way to make sure things bend at the boxes and not just curving the flat part between (that's what happened when I initially water bathed my thigh ammo pack and had to salvage.)

NzxYEpK.jpg

VO8NjVX.jpg

Next, attaching with chicago screws. This is when I learned 1) if you measured with flat plastic and try to attach curved plastic, you will freak out when the holes don't line up.  Solution-- flatten the plastic to pop the screw in; and 2) 5/32" isn't a large enough hole for chicago screw, I had to expand it.  

This is also where you can glaringly see my mistake.  My armor corners don't line up with my belt.  Ugh.  I had to walk away from it and my frustration that I did that somehow.  I'll fix it though, promise.

f79Evsk.jpg

AqZ4d45.jpg

I closed my drop boxes with two small pieces of velcro, because I wasn't sure if I would want somehow make these "functional" in the future.  I would love to have a place to put my trunk key, so I can then keep car keys in my trunk.   I also velcroed the elastic for now.  It'll let me make changes if needed when I decide to make these functional.

sg6Z7nT.jpg

FpiRKO6.jpg?1

Getting close!! 

I know the "typical" way to attach the belt to the armor is snaps, but has anyone used velcro?  I feel like Velcro is the answer when you are being indecisive about something, and that's how I feel about the belt right now.  

Follow up question, if anyone has ever put E6000 on their canvas belt, when you go to pull it off does it leave any type of "scar" on canvas?  Just curious.

• Like 1

Looking good!  

I attached the belt with velcro on my first build, but I really didn't like how it ended up looking.  Even with low-profile Velcro, it didn't come in close enough for my liking to the ab plate.  Velcro just seemed to make the belt stand out more than it should.  

I ended up ripping it all off and going with ab snaps insted.  That said, I have a tiny rectangle of Velcro attached to the ab in the center (with corresponding piece stuck to the canvas belt).  It helps to support the belt and keeps it from shifting. 

I also attached some pieces of Velcro at the belt line on the kidney to keep the belt from shifting around in the back (one piece on each side near the 22mm kidney notch).  

Oh, and about e6000 on the belt... I've managed to get some on my belt and have never been successful with removing it.  It's really stuck on there.  I just consider it battle damage for the most part.  White canvas belts attract dirt... might as well get used to it!  ;) 

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1