Anovos ANH TQ Quality?

I think you'll get several different kinds of answers to this, but here is my take.

I bought the Anovos kit right at the first offering.  I have never built a TK or any kind of related armor/costume.  A newbie for sure.  Although I read the Anovos instructions and kept them in mind, I did not do my built based on them.  I used Ukswrath's built pretty exclusively, but I also asked a lot of questions along the way.

The build was not super difficult, but I did away with a lot of the strapping and snaps that were included.  Cheap stuff that I replaced with better quality and some customizations.

The undersuit is still in the original bag.  Once I heard stories of it staining armor, I bought Under Armor under clothes.

There is plenty of scrap ABS for making internal support strips if need be.  A few changes to the helmet are necessary for Centurion level approvals.  The canvas belt that comes with the kit is not good.  I suggest replacing it also.

I hope this helps.  I really like my Anovos kit and am quite proud of it.

Edited by Shanester
  • Like 2

Quality of paint: It is white ABS - there is no paint nor is there any required.

Durability: Thinner plastic than some of the other armors, and some parts (in particular the shoulder bridges) are especially prone to cracking. I wouldn't consider the kit to be fragile, but it definitely won't withstand a lot of roughhousing.

Ease of build: It requires trimming and sanding before you can begin fitting it to your body, but then again so do most TK kits. Research, preparation, taking your time, and adopting best practices as detailed here (use of E6000, use of score/snap and/or curved lexan scissors, etc.) will prevent most mistakes. It also helps to put up a work-in-progress build thread so that others may assist you.

• Like 2

Some great answers from both Shane and Brian there, Connor.  I built a set of Anovos, and found it to be pretty easy.  The ABS is a little thin so I don't troop in it that often.  Shane mentioned a GREAT fact that there will be leftover scrap ABS from trimming.  I would keep all of it, and use it to make interior cover strips, especially on the calves as these get a lot of wear from flexing when opening and closing them.

The strapping that comes with it is Velcro, but I personally don't recommend using it.  It will wear out over time, and you should consider either snaps/nylon or the classic strapping system as seen in Tony's (ukswrath) Anovos build thread.  Also, as mentioned, the canvas belt that comes with it is super thin.  I recommend replacing it, especiallt if you are (hopefully) aiming for EIB and Centurion.

The below assumes you meant TK when you typed TQ not a first order.

Thin ABS is not always a bad thing, I know of a maker who's offering 1mm kits. You'll be amazed at the flex that thing has. But I digress.

I was the first Anovos TK in my garrison. It is also now cleared at Centurion. I've not trooped it a huge amount and it does have a crack or 2 but so does ever other armour I've seen after a few troops. The factory cut lines want you to leave about a 1cm return. My co recommended I reduce this to prevent stress crack, I did mines now around 5mm.

The actual kit is very good. The canavs belt sucks, but with some effort can be replaced. The helmet has decals that I wasn't keen on, so I repainted, but will be fine. And there's a few inaccurate screws. Nothing wrong with this kit can't be fixed reasonably cheaply.

What I can't speak well about though is the customer service. I ordered in wave 3 of the first release. I have been a member of a FB group dedicated to this kit since. Complaints about delays, trouble getting replacement parts, or general poor customer service are only getting more common. Now I can't say for why this is happening, I hope it's growing pains not something more sinister.

Ultimately this kit is nice, so is all their stuff, and your backed up by a proper company with a license to produce. But the CS issues need to shake them selves out first before I could use them again.

I have two Anovos kits, TK and TX. The TK was taken to centurion with a few modifications. The price I got them for couldn't be beat. I got both on the preorder for $350 and $375, with completed helmets. A crazy good deal. I like the kits, while they may be a little thinner its nothing alarming and will hold up with a little TLC.

As others have said, their customer service and delivery times leave a lot to be desired. The TX they send me arrived in white and was a large hassle to get straightened out, and this was after waiting a year to get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- Quality of paint

The helmet comes pre-painted. Decals for the traps and ears are great, tube stripes are good but may be slightly off from the pencil width standard. Teeth paint is durable, but some kits have overspray that may need clean-up with rubbing alcohol and/or thinner (not acetone). it is missing the teeth corners being painted, but won't hold you back from basic.

- Durability

After about a year of trooping I am noticing return edge cracks in certain spots. Reinforce from the inside with scrap ABS, this seems fairly normal across all kits. The shoulder straps started cracking on me about midway, you will definitely want to reinforce the underside. I took a scrap piece of flat ABS from what I trimmed, heated it w/ a heat gun and wrapped it around a beer bottle to get the curve.

- Ease of build

Some makers come pre-trimmed, no such luck with Anovos. They do, however, provide a cut line that was built into the molds, gives an excellent guide. Because it's on the thinner side, either lexan scissors or the score and snap method with a razor work well. I never needed a dremel, and did 90% with the scissors. Do not try with paper scissors.