ABS First order Kit,, whos the best out there,, advise needed

dark_jedi_ire

Hi Guys

I already have a set of Jimmy`s Awesome FN kit..

But Im looking for an ABS kit,, No painting involved,, is what Im after

I already have the Anovos ABS helmet as a spare, and everything else needed but looking at ABS Kits,,

My Options are? Anovos still on preorder for now until release q3-q4 this year? Worth it? how accurate is the armour( having seen Ukswraiths Make anovos more screen accurate posts)

I have Seen Mention of KB Props?

Im also looking for a Z6 ,, Please please some help me here lol, have been looking for over a year and Was in the process of getting one from BlueBin when they went the way of the dodo`s..

Thanks Guys, Any direction is very much appreciated

Heres Me :-)

post-21095-0-24933500-1490817623_thumb.jpg

Edited by dark_jedi_ire

Hey Rob, unfortunately Anovos is the only mfg given a license to make FOTK armor. Everyone else could be shut down by the mouse at a moments notice. That said, as you've already discovered there are a few mfgs out there that make the armor, however only one that I'm aware of, Anovos, given access to the movie suit to replicate.

KB and the rest make killer armor but I'm not exactly certain on the % of accuracy, heck IMHO Anovos is maybe 85-90% accurate.

Back to your question, rolling the dice. Wait for an Anovos kit to show up, hopefully without any issues, or go with another MFG. Tough decision none the less.

Depending on how the Anovos standard kit goes together, you may not be able to avoid painting.

The ABS kits that are currently in rotation (Anovos marketing kit and KB Props kit) both require painting due to the fact that bondo is required on some of the parts. Again, although Anovos promises a much easier build with their preorder kits, since no one has ever built one we don't know what all is involved.

As for the riot control baton, your options are very limited. Peter White was doing kits but has stopped production for the time being. Every so often someone who has already bought one of his kits but decides that they no longer to build it will it up for sale, but they usually go very quickly. The only other option that I can think of (besides a homemade version) is the 3D printed files from Artshot available here at FISD.

• Like 1

Thanks as always Tony... Yeh was just talking to Anovos and it seems like an great option,, just the waiting,,,  hmm lots to think..

Apologies if my post is of any issue,, Dont get to be on whitearmor as much as I used to (new job etc)

Hmm,, Will keep checking things out...

Any pointers on a z6,, greatly appreciated,,

All speculation until the revised Anovos kit is out, but if filling is required is ABS paste and wet sanding and option to avoid bondo and paint?

I took this route w/ the ANH TK to get rid of gaps where the return edges joined. Was not a perfect match but pretty close from anything greater than a foot away.

Edited by vettereddie

While we haven't seen the upcoming version of ANOVOS' kit, in round 1 they were the best option out there in terms of a clean sculpt and accuracy. Most using other makers' suits actually end up using ANOVOS' helmet anyways. Despite their claims though, I can't imagine they've completely avoided the need to paint for version 2 because there are hidden seams on the yoke and the arms that I just can't imagine they've pulled off using vacu-form. I would suspect that it might go together nicely without bondo and paint, but with seams where we don't allow them because, well, they aren't a 501st armory, they're a costuming company. CRLs are not their top priority.

So in my opinion, any of the makers mentioned will require paint and other finishing work, but are approvable though so it might come down to timeframe. ANOVOS gives you a guess at ship date, but they're all over the place on how close they get to their estimate so they're the weakest in that category. I prefer their sculpt myself, but if I was wanting to get something going sooner, one of the other guys would be better.

• Like 2

Having Anovos and seeing the other kits available close up I'd say wait and stay with Anovos. Unless they have changed the way they are put together you will need to fill and paint, no different to a clone build. Paint can be protected as I have found by making soft pouches for every piece so they don't get chipped and scratched.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have both the 850 ST and DT kits. Both are very sturdy but lacking in some areas when it comes to accuracy. By the time I write this maybe they have those questionable areas updated.  That said I cannot comment on their FOTK, to be honest I didn't know they made one. As Q mentioned Anovos is currently the most accurate that is available, not to say there isn't others like Jimmi kit or a couple others. It's a sticky situation regarding this kit especially with the mouse watching.

Hope this helps

I had the Anovos Premier kit on order since last June but decided to cancel after so many shipping delays. It was originally promised in Sept 2016, now maybe Q2 2017 due to a defect in their helmet manufacturing process. I got my original TK kit from them and am quite happy with it, but again it was 4-5 months after their original expected ship date. So while the standard kit available now for pre-order looks nice, I have zero confidence that it will ship in Q3. If you are willing to wait though, that is probably your best option.

After cancelling with Anovos I ordered a kit from KB Props, which should be arriving in the next few weeks. I bought an Anovos FOTK helmet (pictured in my avatar) in early 2016  which I will be using with the KB armor.

If Anovos could get their shipping estimates accurate I'm not sure I would buy from anyone else. KB has good history and customer feedback though from my research.

• 5 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:50 AM, Stratt said:

I bought the KB Props FOTK. I’ll be painting most of it white, shoulder bells and yoke will be matte black. My big brown box arrived earlier today.

85C2CB0D-8645-4C54-92D6-90A083D7C4F3.jpeg

Is there some kind of buckle molded on the large ab box? It should be a small recessed rectangle in the lower right corner. I have seen several KB Props kits in various states with this but his FB page doesn't show that at all. Can you clarify? Thanks.

Wonder why he's concerned about recasting? I mean I know why but really, unless something has changed recently Anovos is the only company licence by Disney to manufacture and sell this armor, everyone else should be keeping a low profile. IMHO the last thing you should do is put your initials on a licensed product that isn't yours. No disrespect but if the mouse ever comes calling there won't be explaining that away.