My RT Mod Build[*RT]

As you can see my Armor arrived last night and I could'nt wait to unpack it. There are many peices and it gonna be tough trying to get it done in one month. Its packed very well in lots of plastic wrap so it does'nt get damaged during shipping. It arrived in perfect condition. :)

med_gallery_542_144_122765.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Paul,

I remember the day well. Lots of cling-film and the parts do not all go back in the box once unpacked !

Take your time. It was my first build too and it turned out ok for me. I love my RT armour.

Watch out for the snipper plate it's a sod of fit and get to look right. Other than that shout up if there is anything I can help you with.

Have fun !

Julian.

Thanks all...Ok I decided to start with an easy peice so I did the bicepts tonight. I used Lepage 5 minute Apoxy glue on one side and velcro on the other. I was watching Dave's Garage video on Youtube while I worked :) . I tryed to buy the apoxy that came in the syringe but it was totally dryed out and hard as a rock so I bought a second one and it was the same :angry: . I could'nt squeeze it out. So I went back to the store a third time and bought the glue that came in two separte tubes as seen below...

med_gallery_542_144_302044.jpg

They turnned our perfectly no messy glue marks at all. So far so good...

med_gallery_542_144_73621.jpg

Tommorrow I'll do another peice.

Looks good so far. :D

I used 5min epoxy and E6000 for mine. Each got their pros and cons.

The E6000 takes while to fully cure but dries clear and rubs off if it gets on the wrong places. :duim:

It also remains a bit flexible which is great if and when the armour moves a little. The epoxy can come away from the plastic even after cleaning and roughing up. Two of my snap plates have been re-glued on with E6000 since the initial build.

The epoxy doesn't dry clear or rub off ! :duimomlaag: Up side : it is workable in 30mins or so.

The E6000 is very hard to find in the UK which is a shame. Could do with a few tubes in stock ! :(

Cheers,

Julian.

Great start! I had so many glue issues on my first set (I was excited) I had to turn it sandy. Take your time and it will come out great :)

To join the chest and back armor, RT's instructions say to use ABS glue. I decided against this and used velco instead. The shoulder straps won't have to carry the weight of the armor when its done. I've decided to go with the suspender idea I saw on Dave's Garage this will provide the suport I need.

med_gallery_542_144_345974.jpg

There are distinct inner and outter halves for both left and right. Just like on previous parts, I used appoxy on the front and velcro on the back.

med_gallery_542_144_1107673.jpg

This next part made me extremley nervous because I aint what you'd call a handyman. After drilling a hole in either side of the Shin/Calf armor and also in the sniper plate, I used rivets to attach them, I put washers on the opposit side to make sure they stay nice and sturdy. I was so sure I was going to crack the armor, and make a total mess of things, but as fortune would have it, everything worked just fine.

med_gallery_542_144_1295115.jpg

And here's what it looks like...not to bad if I do say do myself. :)

med_gallery_542_144_390437.jpg

I'm watching this thread with GREAT interest b/c RT-Mod is my dream armor (I'm about 6'3 and usually hover around 230 lbs) and all I have read says it's even better for us big guys than the FX. Of course the thread starter wearing an LSU t-shirt doesn't hurt either. I'm a native Louisianan and a HUGE LSU fan now displaced deep into USC territory. Makes for GREAT conversation at work! LOL. Good luck on the armor!

I'm watching this thread with GREAT interest b/c RT-Mod is my dream armor (I'm about 6'3 and usually hover around 230 lbs) and all I have read says it's even better for us big guys than the FX. Of course the thread starter wearing an LSU t-shirt doesn't hurt either. I'm a native Louisianan and a HUGE LSU fan now displaced deep into USC territory. Makes for GREAT conversation at work! LOL. Good luck on the armor!

I also love the Saints as well, I got family in Slidell. :)

After drilling a hole in either side of the Thigh armor and also in the knee box, I once again used rivets to attach them.

RTBuild16.jpg

Started working on the webbing. The Chest, Ab and Cod will be linked useing a combination of velcro and buckles.

RTBuild17.jpg

I got this thick black velcro that comes attached to a plastic buckle at the dollar store ( 2 for 1 dollar ) It's fantastic stuff. :)

I bought the heavy duty snap fastener kit at Fabric World. It comes with 10 sets of snaps, which should be about as many as I need. I cost me $5.25 including tax. RT Mod also includes an additional 6 sets when you buy the armor. :)

RTBuild19.jpg

I started working on the snaps tonight. These are the straps with the snaps attached, they will keep the shoulders in place.

RTBuild18.jpg

I used the idea from Dave's Garage video on Youtube to attach the snap to the armor using two peices of velcro and some appoxy glue. That way in the future if I want to replace the snap it can be removed easily. Thanks Dave. :)

RTBuild20.jpg

I can't believe how much time is involved, I spent about four hours yesterday working on the shoulder straps and the suspenders.

I used industrial snaps to attach the ABS belt to the canvas belt.

RTBuild21.jpg

Here's a picture of the completed belt ( front only ). The battle is of course only half over, the canister still has to be attached to the back.

RTBuild24.jpg

This is were it will eventually sit. If I can ever get the damn thing done. I took me three hours to attach to ABS plastic belt to the canvas belt. :angry:

RTBuild25.jpg

I would like to know how everyone is attaching the canister to the back of the belt. I still am not sure which is the best way to do it. Any idea's would be much appreciated. :)