Batmanmike's AP build thread

batmanmike

Nice work so far, correct placement for the S trim. As long as you can get your head inside then keep trimming of the opening to a minimum.

• Like 1

Hey Mike, great job on the painting and trimming!  I figured out why your grey doesn't look so clean. Humbrol paints NEED to be shaken, and then stirred to get the pigment mixed in with the base really well.  Shake the little jar for a minute, then open it and stir it up some more with a toothpick before dipping your brush.  You'll be amazed at how much better the paint goes onto the plastic.

As far as the vocoder, you should be using the semigloss black (or satin black)... That looks really shiny, are you sure you're in the right jar?  (:

Positioning of the mic tips looks great!

• Like 2

Hey Mike, great job on the painting and trimming!  I figured out why your grey doesn't look so clean. Humbrol paints NEED to be shaken, and then stirred to get the pigment mixed in with the base really well.  Shake the little jar for a minute, then open it and stir it up some more with a toothpick before dipping your brush.  You'll be amazed at how much better the paint goes onto the plastic.

As far as the vocoder, you should be using the semigloss black (or satin black)... That looks really shiny, are you sure you're in the right jar?  (:

Positioning of the mic tips looks great!

I may or may not be using a gloss. Here's to my first big mistake
cdb8b369aaca6186dec7e028469f7610.png
Shiny!!!!
d3914f8971a73037b81599eb353d6ac4.png

I'll throw a coat of satin on it and send another picture
6e6753cf13633b73e4dc54103a6f692a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, batmanmike said:

I may or may not be using a glossemoji31.pngemoji31.png. Here's to my first big mistakeemoji849.png
cdb8b369aaca6186dec7e028469f7610.png
Shiny!!!!
d3914f8971a73037b81599eb353d6ac4.png

I'll throw a coat of satin on it and send another pictureemoji846.pngemoji854.pngemoji846.png
6e6753cf13633b73e4dc54103a6f692a.png

Hi Mike,

I did exactly the same with my first lid. A lot of the colour charts available still show gloss rather than satin. Easy fix though. Build is looking good. :-)

Dan

• Like 2

Question- for the S trim on my bucket, how do you keep it from coming off? Do you glue it? Any tricks you use would help! Thanks

I've seen at least one person glue their trim. Personally, I've not had to as the trim just wedged into place.

I'd imagine a little E-6000 would be okay. At least then it's removable if required. :-)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

My sugestion would be to use the coverstrip as a guide and you will see how much to cut and if your shins flare out att the top like mine, cutting 10 from the ridge would make it difficult to assemble (see pic)..mark the middle of the strip, hold it to the shin to were it sits right and then transfer the mark to the shin, I learned this from Troopermaster, check his FB page and you will find lots of helpful stuff:salute:

J3gZP39.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, E6000 takes a long time to dry. Let it! Your "test fit" pictures were only 3 hours ago, so I know you didn't give it near enough time.

Also, for the shins especially, I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend putting in an inside strip on the front. There will be a lot of flexing there, and you want it to be as strong as possible. Then don't try it on for at least a full day. (:

Oh, and from the pictures, it doesn't look like you used enough glue either. Slather it on there. You can peel up anything that oozes out.

Edited by Kredal
  • Like 1