TK-20693 Requesting ESB EI Clearance (RS)

Basic Information
Name: Paddy Kempshall
Legion ID: 20693
Garrison: UK Garrison

Mandatory Information
Armor Maker = RS Props
Helmet Maker = RS Props
Blaster Type = RS Props (replica lineage http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/e-11-stormtrooper-blaster-esb/)

Optional Information
Height = 5'8"
Weight =  168lbs
Boots Maker = RS
Canvas belt = RS
Hand Plates = RS
Electronics = ROM FX
Neck Seal = Cloth / RS
Holster = Leather / RS
Lenses = Green acetate (RS)

Armour Pictures:

Full Body:

Front_ArmsSide.jpg

Right_ArmSide.jpg

Right_ArmRaised.jpg

Right_Detail.jpg

Back_ArmsSide.jpg

Left_ArmSide.jpg

Left_Detail.jpg

Left_ArmRaised.jpg

Action_Shot.jpg

Abs Detail:

Abs_Detail.jpg

Cod attachment/strapping:

Cod.jpg

Cod2.jpg

Cod3.jpg

Interior Strapping:

Strapping1.jpg

Strapping2.jpg

Strapping3.jpg

Strapping4.jpg

Strapping5.jpg

Strapping6.jpg

Strapping7.jpg

Shoulder Elastic:

Shoulder_Left.jpg

Shoulder_Right.jpg

Thigh Ammo:

Thigh_Ammo1.jpg

Thigh_Ammo2.jpg

Thigh_Ammo4.jpg

Thigh_Ammo3.jpg

Sniper Plate:

Sniper3.jpg

Sniper2.jpg

Sniper1.jpg

Neckseal:

Nec_Seal.jpg

Neck_Seal2.jpg

Helmet:

Lid_Front.jpg

Lid_HoviDetail.jpg

Lid_Right.jpg

Lid_Detail.jpg

Lid_Lens.jpg

Lid_Back.jpg

Holster:

Holster2.jpg

Holster1.jpg

Holster3.jpg

Detonator:

TD1.jpg

TD2.jpg

Boots:
Boots1.jpg

Boots2.jpg

E-11:

E11_Right.jpg

E11_Left.jpg

Handplate:

IMG_3463.jpg

Edited by Rogue8

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Paddy any news on the repairs? We're ready to hand you your badge brother.

?? What repair do you mean? I looked through the posts and didn't see any feedback of items for him to fix.

Hey Paddy good news, your blaster is a go as is :duim:, but before we can move forward the pop rivets used to attach you thigh ammo plate will need to be changed before we can proceed. The CRL states:

Thigh Armor

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thigh ammo belt is attached to thigh with a solid head rivet or fastener in the upper corner and fastened to the lower thigh ridge.
    • The solid head rivet attachment is painted white.
    • Standard pop rivets are not allowed

Thigh_Ammo3%20b.jpgThigh_Ammo4%20b.jpg

Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Heya

Thanks so much for letting me know about the blaster, appreciate it.

I have asked RS who created the armour and they assured me that they didn't use pop rivets on the thigh ammo pouch. I'll try and get some better images of it and post them up to be sure before we proceed.

Couple of updates:

New position of helmet decals:

IMG_3505.jpg

Black screws on TD:

IMG_3506.jpg

Can I just check what else needs looking at? Was it just the sniper plate position and then the confirmation of the solid rivets in the ammo pack?

Cheers

• Like 1

So that we make the correct decision we have one more request, if you're going to be contacting them again can you request they provide you with a photo of the cap rivets they used during the thigh ammo pack assembly please? 

Thanks Paddy

OK, forgive me if I'm not as schooled on the various types of rivets as I should be, however it would seem to me that swapping out a rivet is a pretty minor issue.

I'm not the greatest "wrench" and I've only ever had to deal with pop rivets (which we used to use frequently for the thigh ammo belt and, in the very early days, our shoulder straps) and also the flat type rivets used on the kidney plate, but even to me it would be a pretty fast and cheap fix to simply swap out the rivets, since everything is already drilled out and aligned. $5 and 5 minutes, right, or am I missing something?

IIRC our FISD Ambassador Joseph and even Ebay UK sells cap rivets, so it's not like these are expensive/time consuming to swap.

You know, I'm still unsure when we started to dis-allow pop rivets on the ammo belt as it was probably at one point a Centurion level requirement, but even still it seems like a pretty easy change.

Did anyone reach out to RS to see why he made this choice?

It's more you have to be slow and steady when drilling/grinding out the rivet. They can get very hot and then melt the plastic out. But even then probably around 5-10 mins each with a cold wet rag applied regularly to keep it cool.

That said if they are actually fine, it's time and risk that's not needed.

Hey Paddy, so the command staff reached out to Rob @ RS directly regarding the thigh ammo pack rivets that are in question, here's his response, "Knee ammo belt rivet. Recently changed, its a closed cap rivet. Previous was a blind rivet with the hole filled in" "closed cap/split rivets are more difficult to put in, but we got the nod it was required". RS is aware of the issue and fixing it on his builds moving forward. 

Blind rivets are not accepted at the EI or Centurion levels unfortunately. As previously mentioned you will need to replace these before we can proceed with your application. Once updated please post new photos showing the correct rivets installed. Paul has provided information regarding where the cap rivets can be purchased and there are countless build threads illustrating how to install them, not to mention I'm pretty sure some of your fellow garrison members would be willing to help you with this as well. 

We would like to thank Rob @ RS for helping to resolve the issue and taking the necessary steps to make stormtrooper armor, specifically commission built, more accurate. Thanks Rob 

• Like 2

Good point Paul. For the record, I had the same issue with my RS build and thigh pack. Joe sent me split rivets within a few days and the replacement was quick and easy. Check out my EIB app to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sgt. Bilko
  • Like 1

Paddy, some helpful fit advice from a fellow RS owner. The thighs look like they could be dropped a bit, or need to be shortened. From a fit standpoint, the butt plate overlaps the thighs. Has to be tough to walk in. No? Love the ESB armor...jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks so much for all the efforts with this, it's much appreciated - particularly all the guys from RS with their info. I'm waiting to hear about the glue they used on the PVC to help with the sniper plate issue.

I've reached out to a couple of local UKG members and they're up for helping me remove the rivets and adjust the sniper plate - it's just a matter of finding a time when we're all not trooping/busy and able to sort it out. Once I have my Biker cleared (I know, heresy...) then it should free up some time and have more opportunities for my kit be out of action. 

@Sgt.Bilko, I've actually not had a problem with the thighs to be honest. I usually move the belt up/down when I'm kitting up to make sure it's all comfy - obviously didn't get it as right in these pics! There were a couple of times on my first troop where there was some unexpected butt pinching, so I soon learned how to move things to the right places!

So, with the blaster cleared, new decals and painted screws on the TD, does that just leave me with replacing the rivets on thigh ammo and then adjusting sniper plate?

Cheers

Hi all

Thanks so much for all the efforts with this, it's much appreciated - particularly all the guys from RS with their info. I'm waiting to hear about the glue they used on the PVC to help with the sniper plate issue.

I've reached out to a couple of local UKG members and they're up for helping me remove the rivets and adjust the sniper plate - it's just a matter of finding a time when we're all not trooping/busy and able to sort it out. Once I have my Biker cleared (I know, heresy...) then it should free up some time and have more opportunities for my kit be out of action. 

@Sgt.Bilko, I've actually not had a problem with the thighs to be honest. I usually move the belt up/down when I'm kitting up to make sure it's all comfy - obviously didn't get it as right in these pics! There were a couple of times on my first troop where there was some unexpected butt pinching, so I soon learned how to move things to the right places!

So, with the blaster cleared, new decals and painted screws on the TD, does that just leave me with replacing the rivets on thigh ammo and then adjusting sniper plate?

Cheers

Yes sir that is correct. This style of rivet is not excepted at EIB or Centurion.

Just for clarity, here's a better pic of the ammo pack rivet. Is this definitely something which needs replacing?

Cheers

Yes