A couple random ANH Stunt build questions

A.J. Hamler

Hi guys; got a few assorted build questions.

1) So, is it notches or no notches on the kidney?  I'm seeing conflicting info.

2) Sheen of the paint on the TD screws -- gloss or satin, or does it matter?

3) Chin strap for the helmet, or is a chin strap only really appropriate/needed for certain helmet padding?

4) Helmet suspension -- "hardhat" type, or those Apache type pads you scatter around inside?

5) And speaking of helmet suspension, I've had no real luck searching here for a how-to on installing either hardhat suspension or pads.  Can someone link me to one if it exists here?

6) Finally, is it necessary to add "rank stripes" on the helmet ears, or can you skip that and just leave it plain gray?

Thanks!

A.J.

To answer your questions, A.J.:

1) So, is it notches or no notches on the kidney?  I'm seeing conflicting info.  They are no longer a requirement.

2) Sheen of the paint on the TD screws -- gloss or satin, or does it matter?  Whatever you have handy

3) Chin strap for the helmet, or is a chin strap only really appropriate/needed for certain helmet padding?  I would not use a chinstrap in any circumstance.. you really don't need it.

4) Helmet suspension -- "hardhat" type, or those Apache type pads you scatter around inside?  That is a personal choice, but I prefer the padding.  Before you add pads to the top, make sure it doesn't lift your bucket up too much and make it difficult to see.   I personally have no top padding, as my head doesn't touch the top.

5) And speaking of helmet suspension, I've had no real luck searching here for a how-to on installing either hardhat suspension or pads.  Can someone link me to one if it exists here?  Whatever feels comfortable.  I would think about pads on the side and back only.

6) Finally, is it necessary to add "rank stripes" on the helmet ears, or can you skip that and just leave it plain gray?  You will need 1 rank stripe.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hardhat liner or tactical pads, it's up to you.  Here's a video from Trooperbay about how to install the hardhat liner.  Many troopers have had success installing them and love them.  I totally failed at installing a hard hat liner and opted for padding instead.  I'm happy with the padding.  You just put the pads in with velcro until you find the fit that works.  It took me about an hour of "lid-on-lid-off" to get the padding just right in my two helmets.

Chin strap is optional.  I don't like how it feels, so I removed mine.  But others swear by 'em.  Totally up to you as well.

I painted my TD screws with the semi-gloss black because that's what was on my brush at the time.

I'll let the more seasoned troopers answer the questions about kidney notch requirements and ear rank stripes.

You have gotten awesome info at this point.  Most of those questions you have posed can always be added or taken away at a later time.  The only real "build" questions are the kidney notches and rank bar which Joseph gave you the answer to.  After you build your armor and start trooping you will find what out what you like and don't like.  My first troop I went with a chin strap.  After that I felt it was pointless and took it out and haven't looked back.  I just have padding on top and that is all thats in mine besides electronics.  After you originally build your armor you will find that improvements are always happening afterwards.  It is the never ending build really.  But that is what's fun about this.

• Like 1

I agree about the chin straps, Steve.  As long as your bucket will turn when your head does you are fine.  With my first bucket, I put 1 inch thick padding in the top, but realized that it lifted up the helmet so high that I was constantly tilting it forward just to be able to see and it was also giving me a "bobble-head" appearance.  After removing it, VOILA!  I now have a U shaped piece of 1 inch foam covered in black material that goes from ear to ear.

Hint:  Whatever kind of padding you use, A.J., just be sure to attach it with Velcro so you can remove it for cleaning.  Lots of trooping + sweat leads to a smelly bucket.

I'm a swear by chin strap person. Tried with out it and every time I went to look down bucket would pop up and need adjustment.

Downside, it will interfere with a normal mic that goes over your head. Solved the problem by mounting direct to the helmet and using a wireless transmitter.

Using the MICH/ACH helmet pads. 3/4" that came with the set for the top was too thick, bobblehead effect as a result.

Ended up using a 3/8" foam cut in a circle and then glued black automotive carpet to go against my head. Back side glued Velcro w/ e600. Works great.

• Like 1

I personally use the hard hat liner(bought a entire hard hat with adjustable suspension liner for 6 bucks at home depot) what i did was keep the tabs that slot into the hard hat on the strapping system and then used velco to put it into the bucket. I am using an AP bucket though and those are usually a bit smaller then the others so YMMV...