Source for S-trim

I just got my AP box last week (expect a build thread shortly) and am in the last stages of sourcing everything I need. The AP kit, of course, comes with U-trim for the bottom of the helmet, which must be replaced for Centurion (which is, of course, the goal). In my research, I'm struggling to find a source for helmet S-trim that isn't an armor builder or Trooper Bay. Basically, I'm thinking local hardware store. Problem is, I don't even know what I would ask them for, besides maybe showing them a picture of what I'm after.

The best thread on the topic I've found so far is this: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35568-correct-s-trim-for-my-anovos-helmet/

Problem is, it's basically a comparison of all the armor makers. Anyone know what the stuff is actually called? I know it's sealant for windows, windshields, etc, but can't seem to find google keywords that brings up the right thing.

Any help would be great!

EDIT: This is what I'm after, but, being in French, it's not super helpful... http://www.comptoirducabriolet.com/joints-glace-et-pare-brise-pour-cabriolets/1220-joint-glace-et-pare-brise-26336.html

Edited by Neb Sgird

Hey Ben I don't know the official name is or mfg of the "S" seal. To save yourself a headache I'd contact Paul @ TM and see if he would sell you some. I use Terrell's from ATA on most of my buckets. Regardless who you choose to go with both these guys and others can be found in the "Armor and where to buy it" section.

Hope this helps  

This S trim is smaller than what ATA and RS have, but it works well.  US company, and they ship fast.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 3/14/2017 at 2:02 AM, Neb Sgird said:

The best thread on the topic I've found so far is this: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35568-correct-s-trim-for-my-anovos-helmet/

This thread is pointless and should be deleted.

On 3/14/2017 at 7:27 PM, Cricket said:

-----------

I've ordered from the above link.

trooperbay.com also carries it... https://trooperbay.com/costuming-supplies/hardware/trooper-helmet-s-neck-trim

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

Thanks for the great help so far guys! Hopefully this will end up helping more than just me. With that in mind, keep the ideas coming! Chris, that seems like a great option for European troopers. 

On 3/14/2017 at 7:27 PM, Cricket said:

This S trim is smaller than what ATA and RS have, but it works well.  US company, and they ship fast.
---------------

Any idea how much shipping actually is with them (approximately, of course)? I can't imagine it would be that much, but want to be sure before I order, as they don't tell you....

On 3/14/2017 at 10:26 PM, cm325i said:

This thread is pointless and should be deleted.

Why delete something that is informative? I got more out of that thread than anything else on this topic I could find, before starting this one. The more information, the better, if you ask me.  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the great help so far guys! Hopefully this will end up helping more than just me. With that in mind, keep the ideas coming! Chris, that seems like a great option for European troopers. 

Any idea how much shipping actually is with them (approximately, of course)? I can't imagine it would be that much, but want to be sure before I order, as they don't tell you....

I ordered 3 feet, which is more than adequate for one helmet.  Shipping was $3.  So total was $9.  Again, it's a narrower S trim (approx. 12mm x 10mm) than ATA or RS, but it works very well.

I was feeling brave a few weeks ago and ordered a bunch of S trim from yoycart.  Pricing is per meter.  It was the only place I could find that offered the size I was looking for (16mm x 13mm) and still be reasonable in cost.  I can't say if I recommend this merchant yet or not, though.  It's enroute right now, and I can let you know what I think of it when it arrives.   :)

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 1

***EDIT 22 May 2017 to add:  Do NOT buy the S trim as I describe below!!!!  It will damage your helmet!!!  See here for details.***

Okay, my S trim from yoycart.com arrived today.  It took a little over two weeks to arrive from the date I placed my order.  I had to sign for the delivery.

This S trim is FABULOUS.  It's exactly the right size I was looking for.   The S trim from gaspumpheaven is good, but it's too narrow for my liking.  This 16x13mm S trim is perfect!

Quick comparison here.  Left to right: S trim from yoycart.com, S trim from gaspumpheaven.com, S trim from RS Props (included with kit), S trim from ATA (included with helmet kit)

32649957984_2c4390a3f1_c.jpg

You're probably wondering why I have so many S trim pieces, and why I ordered more.  I trimmed my ATA S trim too short, so I bought more from gaspumpheaven.  I was not given enough S trim with my RS Props kit (they included 30 inches, which was too short).  I wasn't happy with how narrow the S trim was from gaspumpheaven, so I took a chance and ordered from the yoycart store.  So happy I did!

Here's how the trim looks on my RS lid.  Fits nice and solid.  And the price is great if you can handle waiting a few weeks for it.

33337535632_de34cc4f20_c.jpg

33109946150_fb64703195_b.jpg

Hope this helps a trooper or two if they're looking for thicker S trim at a good price.   :)

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 2

Awesome Christine. I just may order what you did, it looks great! And just as important , for a still-poor college kid like me, cheap!

Great comparison too, that's just the sort of thing I was hoping to get out of this thread.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Following up about that S trim I picked up from yoycart.com:  DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!

After a few months, the S trim began to eat my helmet!  Yep, you read that right.  

While the S trim looks amazing, it melts the ABS plastic wherever it makes continued contact with it.  I have no idea why it is doing this.   I noticed a little "etching" in the plastic where the trim met the helmet at first.  I cleaned the S trim several times in hopes to remove whatever residue was causing the etching to occur, but it didn't work.   I added a protective varnish around the contact area, which seemed to slow down the progress.  But even that didn't totally work.  I noticed this weekend that along the inner edges of my lid that it's a gooey mess in places, and there are deeper ridge lines at the outer edges of the S trim.  This damage occurred on both my RS Props lid and my ATA lid.  I now have to do some serious ABS paste repair work to fix the damage.  GAH!!!!

I've procured some new S trim from the great guys over at RS Props to replace it, so it's not a total loss.  I know their S trim won't eat my helmet. 

• Like 1

Geez Christine I'm so sorry to hear that happened! I wonder if it was a reaction to the tubing material or some sort of coating material/lubrication they used. That's awful :(

I've used gaspumpheaven multiple times and love their trim. Especially the smaller profile which gives room on the already tight fitting AP Helmet.