Back Armor Question

Back in 2015 when I started my first build, I was trying to make it as screen accurate as I could. I didn't have help with any of it other than watching videos and reading a lot. I followed the shoulder strap placement and made sure I did it five bumps to the top of the Chest Plate. I used CA Glue so I was stuck :) with it there. My Chest Plate sits just right but I have a 1 - 2 inch gap between my Back and Kidney Armor. How much of a bad mark will it be if I try for Infantryman/centurion? I would like to get approved before I Troop it to death. I am at 21 Troops in the past year. Oh, I am just a bit over 6 foot tall and 215 pounds. I put in some pics to show you. When I lean forward you can see in two of the pics the amount it goes. And, you can see I don't have much left on the back of the strap to drop it down. My Armor: MTK, Helmet: ATA. 

Thanks!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20161008_123602_zpseaoz8uu5.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20161008_130203_zpscdxdeqgd.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20161008_131823_zpss64yykly.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20160529_213043_zpsb7me63qy.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/Untitled-1_zpstdrpsxbb.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20170204_132651_zpsd30wnzkb.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/20170204_132649_zpswktfnep0.jpg

Edited by RoboTrooper

I have the same problem. Unfortunately (in my opinion) being anything above 6', as i am 6'2", seems to have a bit of a toll on how much the kidney/back will cover and there isn't much to do about it unless you got a larger piece from another seller who makes them on the larger size. 

• Like 1

I have the same problem. Unfortunately (in my opinion) being anything above 6', as i am 6'2", seems to have a bit of a toll on how much the kidney/back will cover and there isn't much to do about it unless you got a larger piece from another seller who makes them on the larger size. 

The only problem I want to avoid is having my armor be a different shade of white. The ATA is different and I have seen it show a few times in some lighting. 

Five bumps on the shoulder straps is fine for shorter people - three would have been better for your height to allow them to sit further onto your back plate. I don't know if the 501st insists on making you glue the straps on at the five bump mark but I often glue them at different lengths depending on a persons height, which is only common sense really.

• Like 1

Yeah thats unfortunate that you used ca glue for the shoulder bridges.  I would agree with Paul here and even though it is recommended you do 5 bumps it isn't a requirement in the CRLs.  Sometimes we have to make adjustments based on our body size. 

Maybe someone else could chime in who has a better understanding of that EIB/Centurion issue because to me an inch shouldn't really affect your approval for those.  If it needs to be fixed I would recommend making a small strap to try and force those two pieces closer together.

Five bumps on the shoulder straps is fine for shorter people - three would have been better for your height to allow them to sit further onto your back plate. I don't know if the 501st insists on making you glue the straps on at the five bump mark but I often glue them at different lengths depending on a persons height, which is only common sense really.

It was in the early days of the learning process. If I knew then what I know now. I can guarantee this, I wont make that mistake on my TX. 

Edited by RoboTrooper

Yeah thats unfortunate that you used ca glue for the shoulder bridges.  I would agree with Paul here and even though it is recommended you do 5 bumps it isn't a requirement in the CRLs.  Sometimes we have to make adjustments based on our body size. 

Maybe someone else could chime in who has a better understanding of that EIB/Centurion issue because to me an inch shouldn't really affect your approval for those.  If it needs to be fixed I would recommend making a small strap to try and force those two pieces closer together.

I'm going to try and shorten the elastic from the back to the kidney a little more. The only thing I think might happen is like the right side. If it gets to much pull, it unsnaps. This issue is the only reason I haven't tried for EIB/Centurion before. I only need to get gloves and change the snaps on the cod other than that. 

Paul/Troopermaster has it correct, and we've never really made any hard & fast rule on the number of bumps in front, e.g. if it looks right, flies right, and would be different for different folks.

One option I've seen taller folks do is add a shim to the kidney plate as the seam will be behind the belt anyway and not visible. At some point though, you may want to bite the bullet & get a new chest.

Another reason why for new members I suggest using Velcro for nearly everything until they have trooped a time or to, as what works in your garage may not quite look right/hold up during some troops.

Also, don't worry! We've all been there and you are not the first/last to make these kinds of mistakes. Welcome to costuming :)

• Like 1

Paul/Troopermaster has it correct, and we've never really made any hard & fast rule on the number of bumps in front, e.g. if it looks right, flies right, and would be different for different folks.

One option I've seen taller folks do is add a shim to the kidney plate as the seam will be behind the belt anyway and not visible. At some point though, you may want to bite the bullet & get a new chest.

Another reason why for new members I suggest using Velcro for nearly everything until they have trooped a time or to, as what works in your garage may not quite look right/hold up during some troops.

Also, don't worry! We've all been there and you are not the first/last to make these kinds of mistakes. Welcome to costuming :)

Thank you Paul for your input. I got a couple pics of what I mean. When I bend over it doubles the gap. I put in a price check with Mike at MTK just to know what I am up against.

Without belt: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/Screenshot_20170303-171724_zps69faej6k.png

With belt: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/Robotrooper/Shadow%20Trooper%20Build%202016/Screenshot_20170303-171657_zpsku93ra3x.png

What do you think? Should I buy another and redo it before Centurion submission or will it be ok?  

I'll let the DO's chime in on that one. :)  I'd even presume it's fine for EI myself, but Centurion, they get picky.

• Like 1

Hi Will

The gap between your back and Kidney plates poses no issue for Expert Infantry.  Unfortunately for Centurion, the two really will need to be sitting directly on top of each other, we pick on gaps that are at 1 cm and ask for straps to be shortened or similar.

As mentioned in some of the comments above, the ideal fix would be to remove the shoulder bridges, and re set them further up the chest plate. This would in turn allow you to position the back plate lower and reduce the gap.

• Like 2

Hi Will

The gap between your back and Kidney plates poses no issue for Expert Infantry.  Unfortunately for Centurion, the two really will need to be sitting directly on top of each other, we pick on gaps that are at 1 cm and ask for straps to be shortened or similar.

As mentioned in some of the comments above, the ideal fix would be to remove the shoulder bridges, and re set them further up the chest plate. This would in turn allow you to position the back plate lower and reduce the gap.

Thank you Andrew. I will get my pics up and posted and go ahead and get EI as soon as I can. I am waiting on a reply for another chest and bridges. Once I get them, I will go for Centurion.