converting my ROTJ (CFO) to TKC build

When I picked up the CFO ROTJ armor ~3 years ago, I had in mind to convert to a TKC.  It was the main reason I went with ROTJ armor.  Many troops, months, years and another child later :), I am finally getting around to get going on the conversion project.  For some of you, it's all quite trivial I imagine (easy paint job! fix this to that and bam done) but for me, sheer panic!  Once I put the first drop of paint on it, I fear there's no going back and if I muck it all up, well...hey, there's always the commissary to sell :)   BUT, no, we shall not surrender. We shall figure it out.  Yes, we shall.

So, where are we going with this?  My speed with vary.  I can't rush anything and yet, I won't be idle too long either.

Here are my thoughts, wading through the CRL for the TKC vs the ROTJ.  Please let me know if any massive red flags.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj

versus

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_commander

Helm grown gray paint and dropbox gray paint appears to be: Testors 11TT-1138 Enamel Paint Open Stock, 0.25-Ounce, Gloss Grey.  The black “anchors” on the ears looks like sharpie or basic black paint to solve.

The blue paint on the costume: some people do 1 coat, 2 coats, 3 coats, 4 coats.  I think I will try for 2 coats. I will do a base coat of Tamiya TAM85064 TS-64 Dark Mica Blue and then top coat of Dupli-Color DA1620 Royal Blue General Purpose Acrylic Enamel

1. Right off the bat: controversy.  The first item in the CRL is the helmet.  It APPEARS to my untrained eye that the ROTJ helmet is sufficient for 1st level TKC with some minor tweaks.  It seems like the ANH Stunt helm is usually recommended as the base for Level 2 and 3.  Assuming I can stick with the ROTJ helm, the CRL requires flat lenses (to replace my current green bubbles) and gray paint on the frown (rather than black) and then the blue paint.  Decisions, decisions.   I ended up acquiring a 2nd bucket, see down below.

th_7D162858-A346-4378-A5EC-68B9DFA8B017_

2) Neck seal and Undersuit...no problem.

3) Shoulder straps level 1. The CRL's appear identical so I assume I am good there.  There is some discussion/controversy on the ROTJ shoulders for tier 3 (rivets or no rivets) but that's for another year.

th_58A4E61F-024D-4640-8643-F8DD7070887C_

4) Shoulder bells. Again, looks in sync with my current ROTJ.  Needs to be painted blue, of course. 

th_40631810-DEE5-46E1-B00D-6EDABEB13B09_

5) Upper Arm and Forearm.  Again, looks identical.  Need to be painted blue in some spots.

th_7F6406ED-2361-4C3F-961B-57CB8A08881A_

6) Handplates.  These are quite different from ROTJ.  Easy enough to solve via http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35702-fs-latex-and-silicone-hand-guards-for-level-3/

7) Gloves are gloves, more or less, and I have plenty of them.  Just need the new handplates.

8) Chest.  Looks identical to the ROTJ other than some blue paint.

th_58A4E61F-024D-4640-8643-F8DD7070887C_

9) Back, again looks good, other than blue paint.

th_952235D4-16BD-4DBF-B55C-7A1866C3CD24_

10) Abdomen is pretty close.  Some more blue paint is needed and all of the buttons need to be painted black.  The nice thing about the ROTJ is it has the inverted (from ANH/ESB style) button detail already.  Level 3 requires five vertical buttons rather than the four but that's a project for another year. 

11) Kidney/Posterior also looks good as-is.  Level 3 would require adding some rivets but that's for another day.

12) Belt--also in good shape although the drop boxes need gray paint instead of the standard white.

13) Thermal Detonator TD.  Seems fine as-is.

th_860F172D-DE62-4F98-9ED7-C11B22673D96_

14) Thigh and lower leg are good, just need some paint.

th_5D609206-0028-4475-81C4-7E6A526B1815_

th_9AABCDC5-69B7-4373-A6CF-476BC4DDF27B_

15) Boots - need paint

16) My ROTJ has a holster which needs removal since the TKC doesn't have one.  Happy about that, actually as the ROTJ holster is annoying and I don’t think they ever holstered their weapons in the ROTJ movie because it is a cross-pull annoyance :)  Anyway, good-bye holster!

In summary, I need to sort out:

A) Is ROTJ helmet salvageable for level 1.  Need to research a bit more.  Are there strong opinions on this or really up to the local garrison?  I may just grab ANH Stunt so I could do level 3 later on more easily.

B)Painting and there’s good leads here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15454-tkc-paint-color-chart/ and http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16590-paint-dimensions/

C) hand plates ANH style

After more research and any feedback, I will start pulling together missing components and paint and start getting to work.

Edited by PDXTimbers
  • Like 1

Wow! Man, I can't tell you how excited I am to see this. I'm the model for the TKC CRL and have been dying to see a good CFO direct build, rather than mine which is ATA modified to CRL standard.

Yeah, the ANH helmet is ideal for this rig, but I think you can work with the ROTJ though it may be some additional work. Take good note of the ear details as well.

Also, be real careful about how you paint the chest/back. They are super easy to not look right, and my suggestion is to use tape and post pictures to ensure it's looking top shelf before painting.

Did I mention I'm excited to see this build? :) :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working through colors at local paint store. 

th_IMG_1744_zpsqekik9sg.jpg

It's not the greatest lighting there, but the color that seems a good match.  It looks a little bright under the light and a little dark without it but blame the photographer!

th_IMG_1747_zpse6rsqf9l.jpg

th_IMG_1746_zpsrfujf0m6.jpg

Taping off the arms, the stripe on the outside.

th_IMG_1639_zpsrmj3swhv.jpg

And arm stripe on the underside, tapering slightly.

th_IMG_1640_zpsiuthkgy0.jpg

th_Front.png

th_Back.png

Also working on initial taping of the legs, including masking off where I will retain the 2 white stripes on the right thigh.

th_FullSizeRender_zpsrxnuyqrx.jpg

th_IMG_1749_zpsad3pkuam.jpg

From the photos, the CRL and many other photos, it appears that 2 of the 5 ammo belt are blue and 3 remain white.  From the game file in particular, that makes it appear to not be a complete straight line from upper leg to lower leg.

th_IMG_1748_zpsus1xwgc9.jpg

Arms and right leg are coming along.  The left leg doesn't get any work done to it so that's easy.   Will continue tweaking the taping here and start working on the chest and back.  Measuring that out appears a bit trickier.

Helmet wise, I decided to pull the trigger on ANH stunt helmet and I hope to get that sorted out by end of March.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have secured a 2nd bucket.  I love my ROTJ Helm too much to try to retrofit it too much.  The ANH TK helm has the core painting (frown) and (flat green) lenses I need already, and has the screws in the ears for level 2-3.  So, although I think it's entirely defensible and arguable to use the ROTJ helm for level 1, I opted for a different bucket.

I will be ROTJ (CFO) from the neck down and then a ANH bucket. I need the anchor details on the ears and then, of course, the blue paint/stripe. I have mesh for the frown too.

th_IMG_1994_zpsuny7bmpa.jpg

th_IMG_1993_zpsp3zhk4r5.jpg

Thanks Brian. As much fun as it has been to be the CRL model all these years, I do believe that a CFO suit with ANH bucket will be the superior suit. While mine was made to Centurion standards, the Centurion program didn't really exist back then, thus my lack of award. I hope you get it. :)

• Like 1

Had some time to work on taping out the new bucket and started on the chest; I am going to recheck my measurements.  The back is tricky but getting there. 

On the bucket, it does appear they paint over the one trap a little bit, but not all of it.  I will investigate further.

th_IMG_2161_zpsypaz3ooz.jpg

th_IMG_2162_zpst2rq94nj.jpg

th_IMG_2163_zpsllrr1tvn.jpg

th_IMG_2164_zpswrzfrbio.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my initial paint work.  I have edge clean-up to do to tighten some spots.  I still have to take care of the ab buttons and drop boxes which I haven't touched yet.  And in between, I am working on some weathering.

th_E49CFAE7-27DD-43E1-A676-E5F30606F8EE_

th_9F90DEA9-BE7B-4241-814E-4FA7FF461771_

th_2CD2805B-A1D9-4541-83E7-4EB628067C20_

I am feeling good about basic approval.  I have a lot of 2nd/3rd level items in the works (although not sure where to get square buttons yet for the belt but still on the prowl).  Anyway, for basic approval, thinking I am about ready.   If anyone has feedback, let me know!  Thanks again.

th_A4E5A53B-11A7-4390-B37E-33C17BA108B1_

th_F2831BEB-503A-4FC9-A6CE-68979480F3FE_

th_938BFC4E-B4E1-4F3C-A620-4385D7AEBF45_

th_2FA10249-6623-4B37-ABCB-997C379093A1_

th_DCF55340-E4DC-4C93-B19E-FA2D7CCDD782_

th_B2EE499F-1DE3-4EF1-816E-6EC6CEF16FDF_

th_50486000-A0E1-413D-9865-2DA6719E85D2_

th_862B0961-D074-4143-A682-E419C8EB15FF_

th_3E5AF1D5-EAEA-4CF8-BA70-195B6BF3440F_

th_3704A841-9362-417B-89FF-F0730C0F55D5_

th_7C1893A8-4610-4DF1-BA08-F9931A82FF74_

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have basic approval for the TKC.

I am in process of getting the square buttons, drop box enclosures and a few other items (5th ab button, etc) to work on Centurion when I get time this summer.  I also want to revisit the ear painting and verify what I need to do there.

OK, I think you are looking good and should be able to get approved at basic level. For tweaks, consider tapering the bottom of the thighs more, and also since you have some scuffing, find a way to use black wash or similar to get it a more even worn appearance as some of the scuffs are on otherwise clean areas.

EI is not far away - I do hope you go for it!