Rogue One Stormtrooper-ish Full Build

Alright, I know this tittle is kind of fraudulent!

Yes, this thread isn't about the R1 stormtrooper armor (you hear me complaining about it enough already) but about Jyn's stormtrooper doll.

To be honest, I'm not particularly a "Rogue One" fan but of all the stormtroopers we can see in the film, this little guy is by far the best looking one. So here's my little tribute to him.
The fun/tedious particularity for this one is that I tried to keep the weathering job somewhat accurate instead of fully random as I have mostly seen so far.

Main reference:
32876680892_bb5bb539fa_c.jpg

First I sketched it several times until I settle with a scale that felt about right.
32876680182_abc5530dca_c.jpg

Then I modeled the doll in 3D.
32876679192_694a4d77cc_c.jpg

32876678732_dfea13f2e0_c.jpg

3D printed it.
32876678242_dd30a0257e_c.jpg

32876677592_cdd3f197b9_c.jpg

Smoothed and preped the parts for paint.
32876676922_1fb34619e2_c.jpg

32876676212_b871f83026_c.jpg

Weathered them keeping reference at hand.
32876675052_8f78d5c783_c.jpg

The finished, rigged doll.
32876674142_3200c9aa77_c.jpg

32990689336_ceb2f91be8_c.jpg

32905911391_0f844db85c_c.jpg

32876672402_c946f548c5_c.jpg

32650329550_3cee879ed4_c.jpg

I added the two traps at the rear of the head because I think there's a good chance they might be there on the original doll. I should have added the "O II" detail to the back too though.
Edit: Turns out there are no traps at the rear of the head, however no "O II" symbol either. But the equivalent of the kidney plate should be recessed instead of even with the rest.
32876670822_3ce5dacd1b_c.jpg

In my hand.
32650328070_32b9e11f91_c.jpg

32990689826_5fbfe2e31c_c.jpg

Finally, the dreadful comparison versus the original prop. Not doing too bad.
32876663012_b76cc22863_c.jpg

Thanks for reading,
T5H.
Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 7

The arm on the left needs to be a little more bent.  haha...

No, seriously, you've killed it!!!!  WOW.  Beautiful work.

Edited by Cricket

I was just about to say there's not enough clearance between limb sections, and it's definitely a good thing we're not using SWAT level weathering standards or we may be here a while JK lol :laugh1:. As Christine stated, beautiful work Germain :jc_doublethumbup:  

I'm blown away.  I'll leave it for others to nitpick if they want, but I think it's amazing.  I'll pay for one to take with me to Celebration and post photos with, kinda like the traveling trooper that BJ had over in IOC if you want.

I was just about to say there's not enough clearance between limb sections, and it's definitely a good thing we're not using SWAT level weathering standards or we may be here a while JK lol :laugh1:. As Christine stated, beautiful work Germain :jc_doublethumbup:  

Yeah, I don't have enough clearance between most limbs. Rigging the doll turned out a bit more complicated than what I had expected and I made common mistake to rush it... It still makes a nice rattling sound when you shake it though!

I'm blown away.  I'll leave it for others to nitpick if they want, but I think it's amazing.  I'll pay for one to take with me to Celebration and post photos with, kinda like the traveling trooper that BJ had over in IOC if you want.

Thanks Paul. I agree that this little doll is the nice kind of thing to have around at Celebration. Unfortunately I made it as a gift so it's not going to be mine much longer and I don't really want to start the whole process again to make a second one right now.

Germain: Would you be willing to take a high res non blurry photo of your doll on a non white background?

Thanks,

-Eric

Sending you a PM

The arm on the left needs to be a little more bent.  haha...

No, seriously, you've killed it!!!!  WOW.  Beautiful work.

this is soooooo cool.... :)

Awesome,

I want one!!!! For my Daughter........(yea right), maybe two, for each of us!!!!

Just great!!

AL

Thanks a lot to you all guys!

Germain: Would you be willing to take a high res non blurry photo of your doll on a non white background?

Thanks,

-Eric

Oops, looks like your inbox is full Eric. So here's the PM:

"Hi Eric,

I've tried to take better pictures of the doll with a non-white background but it's been hard. I'm not very good at pictures and most of them turned out completely off colorwise. I managed to sort four of them better than the rest; 2 with the same background, and two with a non-white background.

I hope you'll manage to make something out of them.

Here's the link to dowload the pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nj6b5pmqUDUWdaaXN2UUpXLW8/view?usp=sharing

"

• 5 months later...

This is awesome! I so want to make one of these. It is one of my favorite props from Rogue One. Any chance the files are available so I can make one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...