First Stormtrooper build

These are ideally suited for the task, and probably the best cost value you will find. The downside is they ship from China, so it could be a few weeks before you get them.

http://www.banggood.com/50pcs-N52-Super-Strong-Disc-Magnets-20mm-x-3mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-p-997169.html?rmmds=category

I think 20mm wide magnets are too wide. They will not fit inside the forearms properly since the joining strips are usually 15mm wide. I suggest these: http://www.banggood.com/20pcs-N52-Super-Strong-Round-Magnets-10mm-x-4mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-p-998141.html?rmmds=category

I have a few hundred of these and they work extremely well.

I think 20mm wide magnets are too wide. They will not fit inside the forearms properly since the joining strips are usually 15mm wide. I suggest these: http://www.banggood.com/20pcs-N52-Super-Strong-Round-Magnets-10mm-x-4mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-p-998141.html?rmmds=category

I have a few hundred of these and they work extremely well.

Ah okay, I was wondering if they were too wide, but I had no clue, thanks! :)

Ah okay, I was wondering if they were too wide, but I had no clue, thanks! :)

Actually, the 20mm magnets aren't too wide at all.  I built my tiny forearms using 20mm magnets and had no issues whatsoever.  They work just fine inside and out.  Here's a pic of them on the 15mm strip:

33434878065_ba3906bce5.jpg

That said, it never hurts to have as many magnets as possible for your build, whether it's 15mm, 20mm, rectangles, or whatever.  :)  

You have built the armour with the reinforcing strips inside which packs out the channel in the forearm. To build them properly without the (unnecessary, non-accurate) reinforcing strips I think you would struggle to fit a 20mm wide magnet inside a 15mm channel. This will also depend on the type of armour you have too but in my experience, the smaller, thicker magnets work well.

Inner strips on a overlap build? That's 3 layers of abs! :o

That's a butt joint, not overlap. :) My pic is cruddy, sorry.  New phone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

@TheCreativeBird has there been any update on your build, this kinda just fell off back in April. Would be excited to see where your at now. and some photos. Maybe some updates on what you have learned for us new guys trying to make some bangin armor