Rogue One "Black Series" TK Helmet Upgrade process.

I've read through a couple of Black Series TK Helmet upgrades and wanted to share mine, This is from start to finish, so I'll grab the next couple of thread replies to post pictures.

First is the pieces out of the box.

UZcneV.jpghtQnmf.jpgn8L0An.jpgG06kD1.jpg

​Then I removed every screw, and took everything apart including the Hovi mics. I am going to use the stock green lens because I like the way it screws in but will add a layer of tinted face shield to darken it so you can't see my eyes.

8XuNCe.jpgIfkFdR.jpg

I'll be replacing the stock Mics with more accurate resin ones, as well as adding frown mesh.

I have also used Model Master Black Spray Model paint, to fill in under the brow, I backed the mic area with white styrene to help hide the slits from the stock mics. I've sanded down the new resin mics so they sit deeper in the sockets.

Z4vrWW.jpgNoV5Re.jpgUvM5tB.jpg

I screwed the new Hovi Mics in so I can removed them if I want.

cOBuQo.jpgw7Eulo.jpg

I used a dremmel to cut the majority of the bulky plastic inside of all 3 parts of the helmet. Glued and filled the back side of the Helmet.

3fhD03.jpgpo1qno.jpgst3Lrf.jpg

Edited by Blastmaster
  • Like 3

So Next I cut out all the tube stripes, I was going to use a dremel but went with a exacto knife that I heated up to cut them out worked a lot better then I used small files to finish them up. I used styrene to paint the blue and mounted them on the inside.

yyS6TF.jpgR07MKR.jpgtfEsZv.jpg

fyiI1z.jpgnEpbGx.jpgHW0bXO.jpg

I cut some styrene pieces to add the the temples to cover more of the black out line, going to paint them grey and glue them in after it put the helmet together.

Edited by Blastmaster
  • Like 1

The whole process took me about 5 days, working on it a few hours a day, the back of the helmet I sprayed with a Valspar Lacquer White, misting it over the bondo area, then I polished it, blends really good. did some sanding to the edges to get the helmet to fit together with a smaller seem line, I use CA glue to put it all together. I also used the stock neck trim until I find something to replace it, still it looks pretty good. I just need to install helmet padding and I'm pretty close to being finished. May also just do a slight weathering.

vMGGJM.jpg

m3FADu.jpg

Ie0rqV.jpg

5n7bLf.jpgAJEHVX.jpgUFTHW2.jpgP9E9ex.jpgBoc3MO.jpg

zLwKq1.jpg

Edited by Blastmaster
  • Like 4

It looks very cool indeed!!!<br>

I may try some of these in my hasbro bucket. A couple of questions. Did you polish all the helmet? I don't know if it's the light or the flash in the picture but it looks far shinier than mine. And the battery and speaker, after filled, sanded and painted, did you spray any clear coat or just the paint lacquer and polished it? It really blends with the rest.<br>

Great job.

It looks very cool indeed!!!<br>

I may try some of these in my hasbro bucket. A couple of questions. Did you polish all the helmet? I don't know if it's the light or the flash in the picture but it looks far shinier than mine. And the battery and speaker, after filled, sanded and painted, did you spray any clear coat or just the paint lacquer and polished it? It really blends with the rest.<br>

Great job.

Hey there,

I did not polish the plastic , it was like that when I got it off amazon, The back where I filled, I just taped off the ears/sides so they would not get hit with over spray, then I misted the area with a bunch of coats, then let it dry for a day and a half then used plastic polish to buff it out a bit, (or you could use paint polish)  I was surprised at how well it blended, if it didn't blend so well I was going to dive into painting the whole helmet, but so glad I didn't have to do that....... I am going to just slightly weather it but not much.

Thanks for the compliment,

AL

• Like 1

Hey there,

I adding Padding today! This is how I've done all my Helmets for trooping or just Displaying, I start with an Easton Batting Helmet that Has Bio Dri Padding, and Use a heat gun to heat the outside of the helmet which allows the adhesive to loosen and the padding pulls out really easy, then I use Silicone to put it in the helmet. Here is the final fit. I didn't use the ear padding this time, didn't need it, makes for a nice comfortable fit that absorbs sweat if you decide to troop in your Hemet!!! I got Easton "T"Ball Helmets this time around, found them for $19, with free shipping on Ebay.

MXDOfv.jpgw9pfqW.jpgAdY8Vc.jpgeK5Lfl.jpg

• Like 1

Because we have a CRL in development for this trooper, and if someone wants a helmer for their armor until a more accurate one comes out this (modded) fills that quota :)
It doesn't matter if it's a toy or how it's constructed, it's how it looks. If it is modded to look the part, construction shouldn't even be a problem. This modded is a R1 helmet, and if it looks a curate enough, then it shouldn't have any major problems. 
Besides, vac formed plastic thin enough could be called "Halloween mask cheap."

And for the CRL, we are settling for things that reflect the image of the suit in the film, but not 100% perfect. As time goes on and more kits are made, then it will be more detailed. The Black Series should pass basic with mods, judging by the current requirements for the CRL in development.

Edited by Par_
  • Like 3

Thanks for that Reese,  another reason I add padding is ........Don't you ever want to just put on your displayed helmets? I do and my kids do, as well as guests to our house, people are always saying can I put it on, and with no padding doesn't work very well...... So every Helmet in our house is wearable!!!!

Thanks again Reese,

AL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Love this!!!

Sorry I saw it already sold but I love doing stuff like this — remember my eFX mod YEARS ago?!

Most especially thanks for the paint to cover the fix in the back!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 0:04 AM, Blastmaster said:

I used a dremmel to cut the majority of the bulky plastic inside of all 3 parts of the helmet. Glued and filled the back side of the Helmet.

3fhD03.jpgpo1qno.jpgst3Lrf.jpg

Can you describe the filling of the back side of the helmet just a bit more - in particular, what filler material you used? There are lots of options, but yours came out so very nicely I might as well start with the same material...

Thanks!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using my RO helmet and had only got round to tinting the lenses. But am glad to see there's plenty that can be done! 

I'm with Dan though, curious to know how you sealed the vent and battery pack so well! what stuff was it you used and what spray did you go over the top of the helmet with to keep it all the same shade (off-whites are so infuriating)? 

Great work man, keep it up :D 

On 9/10/2017 at 6:42 PM, 3DImpact said:

Based on the color I'm going to guess Bondo, but ya never know. I'm working on a TB helmet kit right now from RS Prop Masters and am having to do the same kinds of filling and sanding. The Bondo is working quite well...

Dan

Ah fantastic thank you! 

I've been fortunate/lazy in that I've not needed to do any so far and whilst I'm not expecting to pass any 501st criteria; not having a big ol hole in the back of my bucket is still preferable :D

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...