The Last Jedi (TLJ) Stormtroopers - a first look

tkrestonva

This set photo was leaked yesterday, showing the First Order Stormtroopers from the upcoming sequel to TFA. At first glance, the differences are minor (mostly in the helmet). Basically analogous to the differences between ANH and ESB stormtroopers.

Coincidence? Perhaps ...

JpkHgUU.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Wow, what's the point of this?!  Really such a bizarre tweak to the design with limited results. 

If one where to criticize the TFA trooper design, it would be the duck bill look of the helmet (and maybe the bulky look of the body armor) 

The helmet  duck look could be corrected by the addition of the OT style vocoder or symmetrical mic tips, which, hearing rumors that they

tweaked the helmet to look more OT, I thought that's what they did.  Guess not.

Also, in-Star Wars story wise, what is going to be the Military/technical explanation for this?  The military does not just tweak equipment for simple aesthetics or just to make it look "meaner"....

Edited by Veedox

Not sure if will warrant a CRL change at the higher levels once established, but the face definitely looks a bit different.

TFA

TLJ ?   

EDIT: I meant no NEW CRL, possible change or notation yes.  

Probably, we'll see more when the film comes out. But, if it's only the helmet, then it may just be an option as there is no point for a new CRL for one item.

Thanks for the photo - I'm sure for many TFA folks out there it's a relief if they can re-use the armor.

• Like 1

I don't personally like the new look, but I do see why people say it looks more "Clone-ish."  Annoying that they did this, but I agree, it looks like nothing else major on the armor changed, except the cod.  The cod appears to be shaped a little differently.  

Apparently some changes were made to the chest as well. Can't wait to see side by side pix.

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-reveals-new-look-stormtroopers-heres-whats-changed/

• Like 2

Maybe they were tired of the Donald Duck reference, and just a little tweak might work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like it could be done with a "simple" faceplate replacement, no? Not much else seems to have changed. Personally, i like it.

Agreed. Looks to me like they achieved the tapered frown look by making the duck beak gradually wider as it goes out to the edges, i.e. "reverse tapering" it. Ab boxes look a bit thinner as well.

Other than those two changes, I really don't see anything else.

So, kinda like going from ANH-ESB? If there are only two changes, we may opt for a single CRL with two options at L2/L3 so to speak. I guess we'll see how it comes out.

And I was just getting used to the TFA one.  I wonder if it's made based on feedback somewhere, or just wanting to make "a change" to show passage of time?  Or, is LFL just mucking with us like they do the clones (hey, let's create a new paint version to drive the 501st guys nuts!).

• Like 3

I think it looks better---more in line with the tapered frowns from Ep 2-6. Now if only they would completely eliminate the "duck-bill" look by extending the sides of the faceplate to have little to no black showing just above the side vents.

• 1 month later...