My first dumb question

As a new guy -- just got my TK Boots last week and my BBB is scheduled to arrive Monday -- I have tons of trooping questions, but I'm not sure where here to post them.  This is a huge forum, with dozens of sections and topics.  I've been using the search function for a couple of weeks but haven't found answers to all of them.  The things I want to learn run the gamut from building, to painting, to basic trooping, to movie accuracy, to wondering how the heck you go to the bathroom wearing that stuff.

So my question is this: Where do I post dumb noob questions -- do I try to place them in a thread in a specific section depending on what the topic is, or is there an anything-goes thread or section where I can post my dumb questions?  Perhaps this "Getting Started" section is the right place, but I just don't know.

TIA,

A.J.

Hello and welcome aboard.

First thing, they are no stupid questions.

What I highly suggest you to do is start a build thread (link below). You will find tons of people with great advice to help you out during your build.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi AJ and welcome to FISD! Like my pal Eric said there is no dumb questions. Have you signed up with your local Garrison? One of the best ways to see how trooping is, is to become a handler for your Garrison while you are building. It will help you to get to know your new mates and to get an idea on how it all goes. Make sure you start a build thread. Have fun!

I would start by looking in the Build Thread area that Eric gave you the link to.  You can find armorer specific threads there that will have lots of info. on your particular kit.  I would also start your own build thread as Wibowo suggested, this way you can ask any questions about it in one place, keep track of your progress, and post photos.  (We LOVE photos).  That also makes it much easier for us to assist you when we can see if you encounter a problem.

Hopefully you have all your build supplies in order and ready to go.  I have a thread here that may help:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

As for trooping, Steve's answer to get in touch with the Ohio Garrison http://www.ohio501st.com/ was spot-on.  Many Garrison have "armor parties" to help new folks with their builds, and as he mentioned, you can volunteer to be a handler at events to give you a better insight as to how things work.

I have another thread here that will provide some info:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39382-your-first-troop-a-few-tips/

For movie accuracy, I highly recommend checking out the EIB and Centurion submissions (especially those specific to your armorer) in the Advanced Tactics section.  Aiming for these levels is far easier to do during your build rather than doing it afterward.

Now, as for going to the bathroom.... well, that sort of has to be a trial and error sort of thing... The one thing I would say though is to get a 2 piece undersuit instead of the one piece.

Hope this helps!

Hello and welcome aboard, it's a brave man to ask questions, a silly man who doesn't ;), good luck with the build

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys.  Yes, I've joined my local garrison -- I'm on the W.Va. side of the Ohio River, so it's Garrison Corellia -- and plan to "squire" at an upcoming event in March.  Not only will that give me an intro to trooping, but I'll get to actually SEE a couple sets of TK armor in person.  I imagine most beginners are in the same boat as I am, in that we're as familiar with the armor has can be had from films, websites and the fantastic build threads here, but have still never seen the armor in Real Life, so to speak.

My BBB arrives Monday, but I doubt I can get started on it immediately as I have a couple trips planned and some work things to take care of before I can devote full attention to my build, but I will definitely start a build thread as soon as I do.

For non-build-related random questions, though, where's the best place for them?  As an example of the kind of random question I mean (the bathroom question aside <g>), can you sit down in TK armor?  Sure, I imagine it might be difficult and probably uncomfortable, but can you sit without fear of breaking the armor -- the back of the cod and the front of the butt plate seem thin at the connection points, and I'd be afraid of putting any amount of weight onto that connection.

Another random question -- why is my avatar photo so blurry?  I use the same avatar on a couple other forums (fora?) and it's much clearer, but here it's blurry.  I'm sure I'll change it once I have my armor built, but am curious what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

A.J.

As an example of the kind of random question I mean (the bathroom question aside <g>), can you sit down in TK armor?  Sure, I imagine it might be difficult and probably uncomfortable, but can you sit without fear of breaking the armor -- the back of the cod and the front of the butt plate seem thin at the connection points, and I'd be afraid of putting any amount of weight onto that connection.

To answer the question itself: There are people who do sit. It's not easy, but it can be done. Especially if you split the cod piece in front (a move I do NOT recommend).

That said, for precisely the reasons you mention, I think it's a really really really bad idea. It's very clearly hard on your armor. And replacing pieces, when even possible (are spare parts available for YOUR armor?), is a lot of unnecessary work.

When trooping in TK armor, the vast majority of people simply prepare to stand for the duration of the troop.