48" FOTK kid's armour with blaster conversion

Shrapnel

I'm doing whats been mentioned above and using foam sheet to line the insides so it doesnt have to be really smooth. Also contemplating picking up a 2nd hand kids voice changer helmet and using the electrics. Then change the push button to on/off or perhaps extend it so that you can operate it by the hand.

Trouble is now weather is chronic so dont fancy spending time gutting the insides out in this weather. Think I`ll start with the helmet first.

• Like 1

I lined the insides with white gaffers tape.  Looks great, stays put, and keeps things snag - free.  

I actually use a bit of Smoothcast 65D to back fill the screw holes and smooth out the rougher parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been, it’s just it either gets melts and roughy or fluffy and rough depending on dremel speed

8a00d6b54794eea3520c5f1abaf37eac.jpg

The supports are gone but I’m worried it’ll catch in the undersuit

35 minutes ago, DTCorvus said:

That link doesnt work for me :(

I have been, it’s just it either gets melts and roughy or fluffy and rough depending on dremel speed

8a00d6b54794eea3520c5f1abaf37eac.jpg

The supports are gone but I’m worried it’ll catch in the undersuit

Get a Stanley knife blade and scrape it off. I smoothed it of by hand with sandpaper aswell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks I got the link to work.

The visor replacement and sheet plastic came today but I messed up on the visor its silver not black. I have seen one other build that used silver lenses and it doesnt look too bad so I think I will go with it to be different.

I dont really like where the helmet overlaps but everyone else seems to have gone with it albeit better lined up. I could do a perfect fit, fill the holes and sand/smooth it but I think this will be making it more difficult. 

Contemplating putting magnets inside the gun and inside the leg holster so you can "clip" it on but not sure whether the magnets would mess with the electrics that I was going to put inside like above.

Edited by Varkanoid

Thanks I got the link to work.

The visor replacement and sheet plastic came today but I messed up on the visor its silver not black. I have seen one other build that used silver lenses and it doesnt look too bad so I think I will go with it to be different.

What did you use for the lenses in the end?

On 10/03/2018 at 5:52 PM, darthkenny said:

What did you use for the lenses in the end?

Shades motorcycle visor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0062BY3RC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the silver one by mistake. I have then had the idea to make the lenses removable. I have used the old helmet foam cut out as a template and I can now make as many different lenses as want. I've bought a Shades black visor too. I use velcro to keep them in place it looks rather cool. Plus it means I can easily remove one if it gets damaged/scratched and replace it. Helmet is sanded down and all ready for painting I just need a day thats not damp and wet.

Now I`m just starting on getting rid of all the inner excess plastic. Took me nearly two hours to do half a forearm armour piece. I was being pretty careful I think I will get quicker as I get more practice ! Its got 6 screw holes in and I was wondering what to fill it with. I just happened to have some polyfilla in the garage so I've used that. Then just need to sand it smooth.

• 5 weeks later...

After a few weeks of grinding out loads of inner plastic I did the first fitting test today.

1. The chest piece fits perfect.

2. Arm pieces are okay if a little big but will look fine when attached to chest piece

3. Shin pieces are fine. I accidentally cut the knee pieces off so I can either attach existing

ones with velcro or make some out of foam.

4. Helmet is fine if a little big just needs padding out inside (mouth piece will be fitted after painting)

5. Bum and codpiece are okay but need to be attached to chest piece.

6. Big problem with thigh pieces they are way too big so I toyed with cutting them down but they were

such a PITA to do I`m going to make some out of foam.

7. All the holes were filled with Polymorph Moldable Plastic Pellets (stuff you melt in water) all sanded down.

8. Gun still needs electrics fitting.

9. Then to paint.

10. Deadline is 4th May for the Blackpool Comicon.

The saying is not "Aren't you a little bit small to be a Stormtrooper" its more like "you are the smallest Stormtrooper I've ever seen".

Edited by Sly11
Image links broken and unrecoverable
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 4:39 AM, darthkenny said:

Well done. Where are the cool gloves from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Official Star Wars ones off Amazon. Thought they fit the bill rather then make some proper ones with the white bits.

It held up quite well even when he fell up the stairs, poor mite. It was a really small show which was a bit disappointing but they had plenty of people asking for a photograph. Just need to find a bigger show one with a lot of celebs usually indicates a big show. Pity we just missed the Birmingham one. Needs a bit of tinkering on the fastenings but really pleased. He loved it that people kept saying it was amazing plus he could move people out the way as he was the "bodyguard" for Darth.

Edited by Sly11
Image links broken and unrecoverable
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/10/2017 at 3:14 AM, humperdingle said:
On 2/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, Shrapnel said:

Wow, looks great!

What helmet and shoes does she have?

It is actually a Rubies adult helmet! The shoes are just little (sorry, not sure what you might call them) 'plimsoles', or school gym type shoes with elastic at the side, painted. The moulded chaps on the battle buddy had to be removed as it was constricting the ankle, so her mum made her little craft foam replacements.

So you get the rubies adult helmet.ok I was thinking it would be too big and look off.

9 minutes ago, tat2trooper said:

So you get the rubies adult helmet.ok I was thinking it would be too big and look off.

In case you hadn't seen here is the size comparison:

"Lastly, I picked up a Rubies child helmet on eBay. It's actually not a bad helmet... for kids!

Left: the original toy helmet; Middle: Rubies child helmet; Right: Anovos standard ABS helmet."

33139287874_91c670d537_o.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

In case you hadn't seen here is the size comparison:

"Lastly, I picked up a Rubies child helmet on eBay. It's actually not a bad helmet... for kids!

Left: the original toy helmet; Middle: Rubies child helmet; Right: Anovos standard ABS helmet."

33139287874_91c670d537_o.jpg

I cant find that helmet keep seeing adult ones.

7 hours ago, tat2trooper said:

I cant find that helmet keep seeing adult ones.

Try this site:  https://www.costume.com/p/stormtrooper-white-helmet-kids-766168/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIssWWpb_I7QIVAm-GCh3J4AOqEAQYBSABEgJ9vvD_BwE

• Like 1