Fans/Mic/Hearing Aid

So I've built my ANH Stunt TK and been approved by my GML, and I'm waiting for 501st approval and TK ID#. If anyone wants to check out my build, here's the link: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/17141-johnny-cabs-rt-mod-anh-stunt-build/page-1

I figured I would start a new thread here dealing with my helmet upgrades. It won't be super detailed, but hopefully this will help someone.

I was able to mount some 9v fans with an incorporated switch, and here is the ROUGH sketch of the circuit:

0d18055fabc64fc9d825f790d7669e29.jpg

And some pics of everything installed, the 2P2T slide switch was mounted on a spare piece of ABS held on with the hovi tip screws.

f5cdd1009dc9c53655b5b9cee52487fc.jpg

f2316003ad995489c4f8fe62581891d0.jpg

I also got a Xiaokoa wireless mic system to use with my Aker and iComm. I was able to mount it inside the bucket by using the included headband that came with the mic. It is made of wire, so I cut it short and bent it. I used the screw and nut holding the helmet ear to mount the wire. Now the mic can be removed and inserted at-will and doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

d8d3dea7f119a352d1bd0a74d58e8a44.jpg

34b710aca36e56184a1020963decdb38.jpg

d074b5572e4a3370881441f02eee16e1.jpg

My signature has better things to do than sit here and let you read it.

Edited by Johnny Cab

I also wanted to have some sort of hearing aid, since it's very hard to hear outside the bucket when the fans are on. I thought about getting the Velleman MK136 Super Stereo ear, but I found this little "Spy Ear" on ebay and figured I'd give it a shot.

0fd17c9276b9ca7bdd66ea66a22d1dfd.jpg

It uses an electret microphone to pickup ambient sounds, and it actually works really well. My plan is to extend the leads for the elecret mic, and mount it beneath the ear of the helmet. I plan on drilling the mic mounting hole beneath the ear and the tiny holes through the rank bar to pickup external sounds. More pictures once it's done.

Well, that didn't work. I extended the leads, but now I'm getting a ton of RF feedback.

4288f98283f083fc8f57226ccbff1946.jpg

Good thing I got 2 of them. Maybe I'll just put it inside one of my gloves, and run the earbuds up through the sleeve and neckseal. That way, I would have access to the controls, and it could be directional.

The best place for the external microphones is under the top rubber trim. Drill two small holes underneath the rubber above the ears and mount them there. The rubber hides the microphones and it doesn't alter the helmet in any way that's noticeable. Plus it's far enough from your main microphone that there shouldn't be any feedback.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I believe it's the added length of the wire that's causing it to pick up EMI. I can still hear ambient sounds, but there is a constant loud whine/buzz, even with nothing turned on in the helmet. I'm not super worried about it. Eventually, I'll probably end up getting the Velleman kit, but I haven't soldered anything in about 6 years, so I need to make some practice boards first.

The Spy Ear is so tiny, I could probably just stick it at the bottom back of my helmet and be fine. It is very sensitive, and will pick up a lot. Unless some dummy tries to extend the leads, of course.

• Like 1

I own ukswrath's SHA and I found it too cumbersome to wear headphones so I don't use it. I have 4 fans inside my helmet too. I just get use to getting really close to people if they are talking to me. I can usually hear well enough. Only issue is when at a con and there's tons of people all talking at once. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just tried a Bluetooth transmitter and earbuds with my own scratch built SHA but the 1/2 second delay was super annoying. Not sure what other wireless options I have that aren't cost prohibitive. Hate having the headphones attached to the bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 8:04 AM, WEllis52421 said:

Looks like I need a low-latency transmitter and earbuds for this to work...glad I don't keep track of how much I spend on this armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever find a low-latency solution for this?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried active hearing protection equipment? I've used these Howard Leight earmuffs and they're good quality. Basically they're earmuffs and headphones combined, with a microphone on each ear. When they're off, they just block out sound, but when you turn them on, the mics send the audio to the headphone part. I think if you just somehow extended the mics to outside the helmet, they'd be perfect.

Bluetooth seems like serious technological overkill to me, especially with the need for a phone and the disadvantage of lag. A good basic mic wired with shielded cable, a 5W transistor amplifier (50 watts is way more than you'll ever need), and a small speaker are simple and reliable solutions. For hearing, I'd go the same route. If you keep it stereo and have reasonable fidelity, you'll get directional hearing. Again, use shielded cables on microphone leads to prevent EMI.  

John, I really like the Imperial Logo on the fans, though! That is a necessary mod! B) Is that switch DPST? I'm simplify things and eliminate single points of failure by writing the batteries and motors each in parallel. 

John, I really like the Imperial Logo on the fans, though! That is a necessary mod! B) Is that switch DPST? I'm simplify things and eliminate single points of failure by writing the batteries and motors each in parallel. 

c8c267c97daca8ea2a871ca56a6e92f9.jpg27770c16365f327685953e7e707b94da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 9:24 AM, TKSnake said:

I'd probably have to gut my whole bucket just to even try to squeeze my head in it with those on my ears. I like the idea, but they're pretty bulky.

I was more imagining gutting the earmuffs so you just end up with the mics, speakers, and battery. I might try it one day if I get an extra pair.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...