Rubber Gloves -vs- Nomex

Two quick questions regarding the gloves.

First: I have read numerous posts on Nomex gloves being good for trooping. Does anyone disagree with this after having trooped with them?

Second: Reading the CRL am I correct in assuming that the Nomex gloves are also valid for approval at the EIB and then Centurion level (since there is no level 3 additional requirement with the CRL)? Or must I have rubber/latex gloves? (I have seen a pair on trooperbay)

My goal is Centurion ANH-S, but don't want to buy the wrong item and be off on the wrong foot as I await the armor to arrive. Thanks for all the help so far in the process!

For level two certification (if applicable):

Gloves shall be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black.

You'll need rubber gloves for EIB and Centurion.  All level 2 requirements are "cumulative" into the level 3 requirements.  So if nothing else is specified for centurion, you'll need at least the EIB requirements for that item.

However, Nomex gloves are really nice for trooping in the hotter months when it gets sweaty and sticky.  They're also a bit more maneuverable from my experience.  There's nothing saying you can't use either or for trooping.

If you really want to use rubber gloves for everything, and live in a place where it gets hot in the summer, I'd suggest silk glove liners for the rubber gloves.

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the "nomex for trooping" ring.

This can get a bit more expensive though since you'll likely need a second set hand guards.

I use my accurate rubber gloves for pictures, like for approval or trading cards, but I use nomex gloves when I'm actually trooping. Those chemical gloves get WAY too uncomfortable for me. That and the average person you'll encounter while trooping will never say "Hey! Your gloves aren't rubber! FAKE!" ... So I opt for comfort over accuracy in the field.

Like Sarah said, if you want to use the rubber ones while trooping, I'd invest in a liner to keep things a bit less...gross.

Edited by Pixelito
  • Like 1

If you wear glove liners (like you're supposed to) it's not that bad with the rubber gloves. I've done multi hour troops in summer heat without issues aside from sweaty liners.

• Like 1

I wear some basic cotton gloves with rubber for every troop and it's fine even with an 8 hour day in them.  Granted I don't live somewhere super hot but the convention halls get plenty hot once a few thousand people fill them.

I do have a few pairs and if the liners get super gross I'll change them during the day.  They are cheap enough to keep several pairs in my box.

Since day one trooping as TK, I always trooping wearing my rubber gloves.

Everybody keep asking me why, to be honest... no reason.

Made my hand always flood of sweat when trooping, feel the burn inside my hand when troopng under the sun.. 

Smelly rubber stick with my hands after trooping. 

I have several pairs for backup and always change the rubber gloves when I did several trooping in a day and longer trooping.

I will keep trooping wearing my rubber gloves.  :P

• Like 2

I have both and for me it's troop/weather dependent. Usually I like the nomex for comfort, but if I know I have to dial it up, rubber is the way to go.

• Like 1

If you wear glove liners (like you're supposed to) it's not that bad with the rubber gloves. I've done multi hour troops in summer heat without issues aside from sweaty liners.

Can you give me an idea of what to look for in a glove liner?  Thanks.

I just use moisturising gloves, cheap as chips but do the job just fine. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Pairs-100-Cotton-General-Purpose-Moisturising-Lining-White-Gloves-Beauty-New-/201464865282?hash=item2ee83de202:g:HZ0AAOSw5VFWQdukthat's the sort of thing I mean.

• Like 1

I once trooped with someone who wore rubber gloves. He hands smelt worse than a sweaty foot  :blink:

Don't they believe in washing their hands?  :laugh1:

Yes you still get a bit sweaty, ok a lot sweaty, but it's not uncomfortable and nothing a bit of soap won't fix before lunch.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a link to the best pair, and low cost of nomex gloves that everyone is using?

These are the ones I use for non canon trooping:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOMEX-FLIGHT-FLYERS-GLOVES-PILOT-FIRE-RESISTANT-Black-Green-Tan-All-Sizes-/300520952984?var=600010474211&hash=item45f871d498:m:m0oCvopejfooVcbxUKvDZzQ

The extended wrist is great because it doesn't slip out from underneath your forearm armor.  They fit perfectly.

• Like 1

This is what I use... not too shabby: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V5BCGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you live somewhere exceptionally hot/are a sweater though, you might wanna buy cheaper disposable ones.

Edited by Alay

• 2 months later...

Rubber gloves for approval, nomex for trooping.

I have been wearing nomex since my military days and they are great. I just glued my latex hand guards directly to them and have never had a problem.

What type of glue did you use for this? Edited by Wookiepanub

Nomex for trooping, rubber for Centurion and canon events.  Absolutely.

If you glue latex hand guards to your nomex gloves (which is an AWESOME combination), TrooperBay reports best result from CA glue with theirs, while JustJoseph reports the best results from E6000 for his.  I used E6000 with my guards from JustJoseph and can confirm it works splendidly.

Either way be sure to put something (like wax paper or something) in between the back and front of the glove (inside) while gluing, so the glue doesn't soak through and glue the gloves shut!

• Like 1