First Time WTF Magma Build (Pic Heavy)

ciaobirdie

Hey everyone!

I've just started my build of my WTF magma kit (it's a kid's size, if that matters. I'm very small.). I started a thread on the Special Ops site and my garrison's site but since most of the resources that I've found most helpful were from here it was recommended to me to start a thread here as well. This is my first armor build and I'm a bit hesitant since I don't want to mess the whole thing up so I'd appreciate any tips or tricks that you may have as I go along. 

First I laid out the pieces and labeled them, did I get it right? I used some of the Trooperbay videos to figure out which side is which but I want to make sure they're correct. 

D1rqDRC.jpg

cvitCur.jpg

Looking ahead, I marked out where I should do some initially preliminary trimming. In my marking I've been using the clear defined lines of the pieces as where to make the cuts. Is this where I should be cutting? I've included some pictures of areas to show exactly what I mean. 

Back piece

FhYorui.jpg

JR2gX8v.jpg

Thigh

98h2tZP.jpg

jUw333z.jpg

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road so thanks in advance for any advice for this newbie!

All your stuff looks good Kara. That's a good place to trim down to till final trimming. The shoulder bells have little to no return on sides and can have a return on bottom. They also can be trimmed flush if needed to sit in more over bicep. I'm at plenty of events. If you wrangle one you're more then welcome to see my set up. Good Luck and glad you're here Kara!

All your stuff looks good Kara. That's a good place to trim down to till final trimming. The shoulder bells have little to no return on sides and can have a return on bottom. They also can be trimmed flush if needed to sit in more over bicep. I'm at plenty of events. If you wrangle one you're more then welcome to see my set up. Good Luck and glad you're here Kara!

Awesome, thanks! I'm signed up to wrangle a couple events in March while I work on this. 

Cool! We have a P. Bruins 3 day weekend troop coming up in March. I'll look to see what events you signed up for. We'll get you in armor sooner then later!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. Did most of the preliminary trimming on all of the armor except the helmet (I'm saving that for last since I'm too worried about messing that up). I've completed one of the thighs today, and it was pretty simple since the kid's armor is exactly the right size and needed almost no modifications other than the trimming to fit the front cover strip. 

SSZhwUp.jpg

RP8ZXxY.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted anything here in forever, I've been busy making and submitting my Leia for RL approval but I'm back to devoting my time to the magma. So, update time.<br><br>

As of right now, I've finished all trimming on everything except the shins (I'm waiting to cut out the flash on the bottom and trimming until I get the boots so they are sized properly) and helmet, and fully assembled both thighs, biceps, and forearms. <br><br>

My ab plate was a little snug where the sides curved, but I was able to fix it and stretch it out using a hot water bath and now it fits perfectly (huge thanks to the WTF people for helping me with that idea). <br><br>

I'm going to move on to strapping some of the pieces next, but I did have a couple questions about soft parts. I'll post this in the Special Ops forums as well, but can anyone recommend anywhere to get the boots? ImperialBoots has an already-red pair but they seem to be the only place that offers the red. Any recommendations on boots that could be dyed red, or should I just go with ImperialBoots? <br><br>

And because I'm very nervous out it, I'm saving the bucket for last. I'm a bit worried about breaking it, especially when working on the teeth, so if anyone has any recommendations or tips as to the best methods to tackle the bucket I'd love to hear them. So far I've just taken out the eyes.

You will want Imperial Boots if you can get ahold of them. I believe WTF sent them a sample of his red plastic so that they could get an exact color match.

Oh that's great, I'll be taking that route then. Thanks!

• Like 1