Just another F-11D blaster build

Wow, you're going so fast! Your smoothing technic really does wonders.

Thanks Germain. Unfortunately, I cannot go further now without the missing components. In the meantime I just have to work on the attachment systems for the Hengstler counter cover and magazine.

Ok don't laugh. Well if you do, I can't stop you. I may have overdone this and I am sure there are easier ways to attach a Hengstler counter cover. Anyway...

A magnet is stuck to the cover with epoxy resin and I constructed a frame around a socket screw with Lego parts. The frame allows the screw to slide vertically when the magnet is near. This is attached to the top left corner of the Hengstler interior with epoxy putty. When the magnet on the cover attracts the screw upwards to make contact, the cover is free to swivel outwards, allowing access to the battery when it is time to change it. This mechanism also holds the cover in place in case the screw fails, and also ensures the cover stays on so it will not get lost if a change of battery is conducted in the field. Now I just need that damn red acrylic panel!

hengstler-counter-2.png

Edited by tennantlim

Now that's what I call proper over-engineering!  :) I personally prefer keeping it simple when possible ;)

Yeah I know it's over engineered, but I thought it would be a pragmatic feature to have. In fact I have kept the construction for the most part very simple, not counting the sanding of course. 

Over-engineering? I call it bar-raising :):salute:

Much appreciated Paul! 

This build is unbelievable.  It puts my stock Heston blaster to shame.  I really want to spend time on a complete blaster build like this to get it looking nice. 

What paint did you use, if I might ask?

Thanks Vince. I read your armor build thread and you definitely have the skills to do a better job than me. Just have to put in the time. I used Ace spray paint and primer for most of it and Dupli-Color for the chrome parts with minimum 12 hours between light coats. 

• Like 1

Well done!

So what's left to do now? Front flashlight and it'll be done?

Thanks Germain. I am waiting for the ballon light for the front flashlight, and for my friend to print the missing parts; scope knob x 1 and the forward grip covers. His printer is down and he's trying to fix it or he will get someone to print it. In the meantime I have decided to work on the folding stock cover. Updates soon!

Edited by tennantlim

Unexciting update: The folding stock cover was in a pretty bad shape and required a drastic overhaul. I traced the outline onto a styrene sheet, cut it out and stuck it onto the existing 3D print with epoxy. The edges were then cleaned up by filling in gaps with epoxy putty and sanded flat so it looks like one seamless piece. The cover was then primered, wet sanded and spray painted with 2 light coats of gloss white.

folding-stock-cover.png

Edited by tennantlim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received the balloon lights! I got them here http://ebay.to/2my0Ep3 These are very lightweight, cheap, and fit the flash tip almost perfectly. I attached one using putty to the flashlight tip and stuck the assembly to the folding stock tip with super glue. To turn the light on, you simply pull the folding stock tip out, twist the back cap of the balloon light clockwise until light comes one and slide the tip back in. Easy! When the batteries run out, just unscrew the back cap completely off, replace with three L736C/LR41 alkaline button cells, and screw the back cap on loosely.

flashlight-assembly.png

The prints for the top scope knob and forward grip covers should be arriving soon... 

Edited by tennantlim

Good tip about the textured tape, because twisting the flashlight on & off with gloves on will probably be quite a challenge!

By the way about those textured inserts you're waiting for the forward grip, I just wanted to let you know that I modeled them for the v20 of my files when by the look of your pictures, the blaster you're building is based on the v18 of my files. When I modeled the textured inserts I also modified very slightly the forward grip, so you might not get an absolutely perfect fit with those.

Good tip about the textured tape, because twisting the flashlight on & off with gloves on will probably be quite a challenge!

By the way about those textured inserts you're waiting for the forward grip, I just wanted to let you know that I modeled them for the v20 of my files when by the look of your pictures, the blaster you're building is based on the v18 of my files. When I modeled the textured inserts I also modified very slightly the forward grip, so you might not get an absolutely perfect fit with those.

Thank you for the heads up. I should be receiving them anytime soon. In the event the fit discrepancy is significant, I may consider getting the v20 forward grip printed but will it fit the v18 hinge?

...I may consider getting the v20 forward grip printed but will it fit the v18 hinge?

Yes, it will. I didn't alter the hinge between the two versions. The inserts with the v18 forward grip should get you a fit like that by the way:

14182531_10154433668987768_1194737034_n.

Instead of reprinting the whole forward grip, I think you could get away with it by just adding 2 parts epoxy putty where there's gaps, and repaint the forward grip.

As Germain rightly pointed out, the v20 inserts do not fit the v18 grip perfectly. Instead of printing the v20 grip, I sanded down the excess areas, filled in the gaps with epoxy putty, and even tried to replicate the lines with a blade. The result is not perfect, but I guess it's not noticeable unless you know where to scrutinize. 

grip-insert.png

Edited by tennantlim