Rey's NN-14 blaster pistol child size from scratch

artimorty

So. Some progress done yesterday. After testing different saws and files on discarded pieces, those were the tools selected.

25c7b9775349a3f4c455a955ecb2f27d.jpg

The saw blade wasn't very flexible and allowed me cut over the marks fairly straight. The minifile is V shaped.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Edited by artimorty

Unfortunately, some splinters came loose here and there. Probably due to the soft wood used and how close are each cut to de next. Hopefully this can be solved with more putty now that the carving is done.

6e69437f11306af3fcfd8c7ec5a802d5.jpg

Although this is only a partial succes I'm pretty happy how it's coming along. Better than expected.

Thanks.

Edited by artimorty

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Little advance lately. It has cost me more than expected to solve the splintering wood of the handles. I had to prime them, find the problems, fill with tamiya smooth putty, sand and repeat a bunch of times.

7eb76b09fa737bd82162a039eaa6f2e9.jpg

Once satisfied, I sprayed three hands of rustoleum bright black, very thick layers, to give the impression of plastic or Bakelite... now they are drying in the sun.

41dd515f0760f1dbd8a2eac5fff02291.jpg

This ends the construction phase. Next step would be finish the body, assembly and paint.

Edited by artimorty

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Been busy redoing some lines on the sides, sanding, filling, sanding again, and again and again. Today I have glued all the parts for a final test before painting. Later will drill holes on the barrel and the body to set a metal rod for reinforcement of the lot.

2ef468bcb909de5c3a777fc931c12499.jpg

7cf7dbcb0b0044d72b6d65ea2bb4ae19.jpg

I think it's looking good!

It's getting time for painting. And that scare me a little not sure how I am going to do this.

Thanks for watching.

Edited by artimorty

• 3 weeks later...

Today is sunny and dry at last! Perfect temperature for painting. I've taken the three parts outside and painted the with three layers of rustoleum bright black preparing them for the silver. After studying, testing and watching bill doran's YouTube video where he paints his Rey's blaster, it seems that painting shiny black before metallic silvers or golds helps to enhance the results and final aspect of the job. So black it is!

d0d931dc8b6ee82179552ce85e69616a.jpg

Sorry for the pic, but a bright day as today seems to drive nuts the cellphone camera.

Edited by artimorty

And today two coats of rustoleum metallic chrome...

Once dry I'll see if needs a little sanding and more paint or I can switch to weathering and assembling.

8e2bbd902c142fb8ee9ee1f50f6f8d27.jpg

6e4f571653b351980c8c45cada3c24ca.jpg

Tanks for watching.

Hi again. Well, final steps have to be taken, and just over the deadline! My daughter has a costume party this Friday at the school and has repeatedly ask for her blaster to complete the Rey's outfit. So, impelled by her pleas and encouraged by some examples here on the boards (thanks very much to djmatrix09 for his pictures and advice) today have started weathering and final assembly, not without troubles...

First I sprayed a bright clear lacquer over the pieces. Then started weathering, first the barrel, mainly with acrylic "grey black" and some "oily steel". Over the barrel top I rubbed a cotton cloth with old gold rub'n'buff, and over it some watered metallic blue and bright purple until I got some gradient to mimic the overheated metals.

The main body has now a first layer of the same wash of black gray and oily steel in some spots.

Then I cut the head of the screw that was used for assistance during the painting and simply screwed the whole barrel into position, with some glue to keep it in place. Same was done for the lower piece.

44db543f859c8fa45a56d9c6eac2324a.jpg

99580dddc8fd683aa5f1150b44bb74f3.jpg

Now impatient test prior to final assembly. Only the back part to weather and decide if that's enough or more dirt needed

Any suggestions are welcomed

5aa0645139536f6ae6a55ee48ee73edb.jpg

That's official. I call this done!

Soooooo happy with the results! And hey!!! I'VE BUILT SOMETHING!!! Myself!!! Out of nothing!!! Couldn't be prouder... my first build is done. Obviously it has many mistakes but keep in mind is just a toy for my little girl, to complete her Rey's costume and have fun. All this work just for her fun, that's a glorious reward. Now to get my mind ready for the time when she drops the thing or uses it to smash something on the wall. Never mind. I will always have this pictures to remind me this awesome learning journey.

Here comes some pics to show the piece, best I could do on the iPhone. Hope you like them.

Thanks to everyone that stopped here and gave me their time.

Thanks for watching

54c95db5083bf77cd1b6866b72c88393.jpg

6346f7b598acc55ba09ee460804accd4.jpg

494e9e78a296e78049bf0826cca6ec0d.jpg

c53303f9a3191ab331c4fbb1829400c5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that looks great. <br>

And the weathering finishes it perfectly. <br>

Was your daughter happy with it?!

You bet she was! Here's the proof:

1b03067c9198f979d1400fd42c9b8989.jpg

42038c04361d8c4175b4fce7516df89e.jpg

While all the other girls in her class were dressed as regular Disney princess, she was the badass Rey and had a lot of fun running and fighting with a kylo there. Many teachers and parents approached me to ask about the gun and compliment on it. Was fantastic. She was very proud and though she played a lot and passed around the toy gun to many of her friends, incredibly the piece survived the day without a scratch, and to my delight she asked me to make her a display set to be placed over her bed, to "defend herself from the monsters if she ever has a nightmare"

This is what I did for her:

776692e82de88ad1549f63c84bb0aa90.jpg

06379b4a903ecb373f8f6a134f1864c1.jpg

Thank you very much for you interest... and being a fotk as you are... my advice... if you see my Rey lady with her new gun... run for you life!!!

Edited by artimorty