undersuit acceptance

Hi All.

I know there have been several posts in regards to the under suit preferences and acceptances. I have decided to go the 2 pcs way for easier access for Latrine breaks. Can you see anything wrong with the following "bottoms" choice from Eastbay?  Feel free to add pros/cons for your choices.

My other thought was the 1 pcs from Extreme Racing. (at the end of the day your looking at $10-20 difference after shipping to my area)

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:210616/sku:6958102/eastbay-evapor-compression-tight-2.0-mens/black/grey/

(the grey strip would be hidden I believe??)

Thanks in advance (link would not cut & pate so I manually entered)

I did Eastbay originally, and just used a sharpie to black out the gray lines in case they showed.  It needed to be touched up after every wash and/or a few troops, and I had a tenancy to get sharpie all over me in the process, but otherwise it was doable.  Eventually I found a random brand without seams (here's the men's version, I think: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017ULOWSM?m=A2IFB4OR508H7D&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page&th=1). I still use the Easbay tops and they're great.  Just pick off the Eastbay logo at the bottom.  

Just as Rebecca said, there are any number of options that provide plain black undersuits which will be fine for wear under the armor.

I actually have a number of pieces of black compression gear from a number of manufacturers to include Eastbay, that I wear.  

Black without visible logos while wearing the armor is the key.

The contrast stitching is obnoxious and requires ongoing maintenance to keep it covered.

Logos are relatively simple to remove (usually), or at least cover, but stitching that runs the entire length is way more hassle than I want to deal with on an ongoing basis, for me personally.  I have one that I touched up three times before deciding to stop using it.  There are other options that are fully black that are much simpler.

Some brands can be turned inside out and it's all black. Then logo isnt an issue. Mind you, that's only some brands. I have a pair of Nike pants that I wear backwards and no one knows! Shhhh, don't tell on me!

The contrast stitching is obnoxious and requires ongoing maintenance to keep it covered.

Logos are relatively simple to remove (usually), or at least cover, but stitching that runs the entire length is way more hassle than I want to deal with on an ongoing basis, for me personally.  I have one that I touched up three times before deciding to stop using it.  There are other options that are fully black that are much simpler.

Kman! A friendly face =) You're a frequently helpful in the anovos group on facebook. I hope you don't mind me asking since this has been quite the headache for me... what about stitching that is black? Is that acceptable? I'm having a hard time how to interpret the CRL on that specific point, and the picture is too low res to be certain.

Finding an undersuit with no logos and no textures was harder than I expected but I finally came across a two piece that met the criteria no logos and no obvious textures, but it has these stitch lines that I imagine will be visible.

For example I have one line running approxiamately across the black area between the chestpiece and shoulder. https://postimg.org/image/p7za7bvr3/

And another on the lower part of the arm, that will be visible between the bicep and the forearm. https://postimg.org/image/bkpej2jnx/

These lines also run across the inner and outer legs.

Is this a problem or am I overly picky? (seeing as people seem to say "it's fine as long as you use a sharpie")

That stitching should be fine, Henning.  Since it is black, it will not be that noticeable. The only problem you may have is that it looks as if it's made of a cotton-like material, and the black color may bleed onto your armor and fade after one or two washings.  You should look for a polyester "compression" top (and bottom).  These will hold their shape much better and not change color at all, even after many troops.

Kman! A friendly face =) You're a frequently helpful in the anovos group on facebook. I hope you don't mind me asking since this has been quite the headache for me... what about stitching that is black? Is that acceptable? I'm having a hard time how to interpret the CRL on that specific point, and the picture is too low res to be certain.

Finding an undersuit with no logos and no textures was harder than I expected but I finally came across a two piece that met the criteria no logos and no obvious textures, but it has these stitch lines that I imagine will be visible.

For example I have one line running approxiamately across the black area between the chestpiece and shoulder. https://postimg.org/image/p7za7bvr3/

And another on the lower part of the arm, that will be visible between the bicep and the forearm. https://postimg.org/image/bkpej2jnx/

These lines also run across the inner and outer legs.

Is this a problem or am I overly picky? (seeing as people seem to say "it's fine as long as you use a sharpie")

Sorry for the delay in responding, life and work have been crazy lately and I haven't been on as much as I'd like. :(

Black is perfectly fine.  We're not asking people to wear seamless garments, just have it all blend into black while you're wearing it.

"Contrast stitching" is when they use stitching of a purposely contrasting color, like these white seams around the crotch area and all down the inside of the legs (compression pants from EastBay which used to be ALL black and a popular affordable option):

6958102_w.jpg

Or this UnderArmor top, covered in the stuff:

71rdE7zN41L._SY450_.jpg

That stuff is a bear to cover up. (Also note the thin grey strip at the back of the neck, which is similarly extremely difficult to get fully black)  Contrast stitching absolutely ruins an otherwise great option.

That said, I agree with Joseph that the cottony material, if that's actually what it is, isn't best for this.  You really want the springly compression that synthetic fabrics supply, for these purposes, simply because it stays in good shape longer.  All natural fabric will get stretched out and kinda baggy in a relatively short time period, not to mention the fading.  (of course, the fabric is by no means inherently non-approvable, so if you need to wear cotton due to allergies and such, by all means, just be aware that there are drawbacks)

FWIW, I've personally been trooping in DrSkin compression clothing from Amazon.  All black except some logos that come off with Acetone and some elbow grease.  There are other options, too... I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for suits from Kohls lately, but I haven't tried them personally, since the DrSkin was cheap, easily delivered to me, and quite nice quality.  (My UnderArmor was nicer but I think it was literally 4x the price... and they no longer sell the exact ones I have, unless you stumble across a cache of old stock)

Edited by kman

I really appreciate the thorough answers from both of you, and no worries about taking your time. I'm just grateful people take their time to answer a question I understand has been answered plenty times already =)

You are correct that it's cotton. I was focusing hard to find an all black solution and never really considered the material to be a problem, until now that is.

I've seen you mention acetone to remove logos and such before, but is it necessary if the logos are covered by the armor? I understand the problems with the neck area and contrast stitching in the provided examples, just want to get it all right from the start =)

I did some quick looking and found two possible alternatives that I think would do the trick. Would these suffice or am missing something? I imagine the logo by the hip might be a problem...

https://postimg.org/image/vhy6bpntf/

https://postimg.org/image/gxxtn0toj/

Edited by Retrodai

I really appreciate the thorough answers from both of you, and no worries about taking your time. I'm just grateful people take their time to answer a question I understand has been answered plenty times already =)

You are correct that it's cotton. I was focusing hard to find an all black solution and never really considered the material to be a problem, until now that is.

I've seen you mention acetone to remove logos and such before, but is it necessary if the logos are covered by the armor? I understand the problems with the neck area and contrast stitching in the provided examples, just want to get it all right from the start =)

I did some quick looking and found two possible alternatives that I think would do the trick. Would these suffice or am missing something? I imagine the logo by the hip might be a problem...

https://postimg.org/image/vhy6bpntf/

https://postimg.org/image/gxxtn0toj/

Only visible logos are an issue.  Those two you linked look like they would be fine.  Depending on exactly how your armor sits on you, the logo on the chest MAY be visible.  If the hip one is, just remove it with Acetone.  Even Sharpie will cover up logos nicely, if temporarily... you generally have to reapply every 1-2 washes.  Not a big deal for a small logo, perhaps, but a huge pain for contrast stitching. 

Again, though it's pretty simple to remove MOST logos with some acetone.  (It doesn't seem to hurt the fabric on any of the ones I, and others, have worked on.)  Some of the UnderArmor logos appear to be an exception.  I don't know how they welded those suckers onto the fabric, but some of the "disc" shaped logos absolutely will NOT come off.  At least, I completely gave up after a couple of fruitless hours!  But once the logo is off, it's really nice because you never have to worry about it again.

• Like 1

I got a top and bottom on Amazon myself. If you look, you can find several there at a good price. The top and bottom I got is for hot weather. I got a second top and bottom for cold weather that has absolutely no logos or anything on them at Menard's. They are just long underwear, but are made out of spandex or a spandex like material. Best of all, I got the top and bottom from Menards for less than $14.00

FWIW, I've personally been trooping in DrSkin compression clothing from Amazon.  All black except some logos that come off with Acetone and some elbow grease.  There are other options, too... I've been seeing a lot of recommendations for suits from Kohls lately, but I haven't tried them personally, since the DrSkin was cheap, easily delivered to me, and quite nice quality.  (My UnderArmor was nicer but I think it was literally 4x the price... and they no longer sell the exact ones I have, unless you stumble across a cache of old stock)

Thanks for the recommendation on the DrSkin compression gear, I ordered some today!

• Like 1