themaninthesuitcase

Themaninthesuitcase Troop Diary

Troop #13 - 29 September 2018 - ElstreeCon 2.0 (approx 5 hours in armour)

Only my second troop this year.  Whilst a small quiet convention, the location was a little bit of a special one.

I've been lucky enough to troop at Elstree Studios before, and it's only 11 miles from home so this isn't as exotic to me as some but it was an excellent troop.

44991611022_d3d30733ce_c.jpg
Elstree Studios by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

The convention it's self takes place in a small ballroom style room in the front building shown above.  There was a small number of stands there selling the usual memorabelia and tat as well as a few actors/acrtresses doing signings.  The majority had a Star Wars link, maninly back ground characters.

One notable actor was Alan Harris AKA Bossk, who also played a Stormtrooper in ESB and ROTJ, a Rebel in ANH and was the model of the infamous white Prototype armour that became Boba Fett.

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Alan in the changing area during lunch, he is a lovley person who seems to really enjoy what we do.

30103989917_4488603733_c.jpg
Meeting Alan Harris Aka Bossk from ESB by Photo by Richard Pottle (TD 77670)
L->R : Dan Branton (TK 42911) Declan Baker (TI 9845) Dave Gilmore (TK 73076) Alan Harris (Bossk) Chris Pearson (TK 10911) Adam Knapp (TK 11780) Dan Wray (TI 15978)

Most of the convetion was spent outside the front of the venue on the road drawing attention to the convention from passers by, and nearly causing multple accidents on the roundabout where people would just stop to look!

30103986547_584e1e4775_c.jpg
Outside the front of Elstree Studios by Trist Fulcher (TI 3493)
L->R : Dan Branton (TK 42911) Dave Gilmore (TK 73076) Chris Pearson (TK 10911) Adam Knapp (TK 11780) Dan Wray (TI 15978) Declan Baker (TI 9845)

We also spent a small amount of time just inside the perimeter but as there were multiple shows filming that day this was a bit busy with blacked out cars and SUVs.  The rest of the time was spent inside the venue it's self.

Mid afternoon we were given an incredible opportunity.  The organiser lead us out through an out of bounds door and onto the lot.  We walked past a hot Stage 8, some of ESB was filmed here, up to the top of the hill.

30127337367_45817b1ce5_c.jpg

We're Home by Wayne Allen (TK 52517)
L->R : Declan Baker (TI 9845) Dan Branton (TK 42911) Adam Knapp (TK 11780) Chris Pearson (TK 10911)

Here we were able to get a few photos in front of the George Lucas Stage where it all began.  Currently home to both Strictly Come Dancing and The Crown.

Again whilst quiet, the people and the location made this one to remember.

• Like 4

Awesome loction for a Troop and you all looked great:salute:

• Like 2

You guys look fantastic!  Excellent troop and congrats :salute:

• Like 1

Me not update my troop report in a timely manner, how very dare you.

Troop #14 - 27 October 2018 - MCM ComicCon London (approx 8 hours in armour)

Yup back at the Excel again for another Comicon.  For the most part this one was business as usual.  An early start to entertain the queues and then patrols of the venue.  

Late in the morning I was part of the group who took part in a Silver Sabers display.  We paraded in to their stand so that Lord Vader could preside over a sabre battle display.  At the end we the paraded back out, and went for lunch :laugh1:

This picture was us lurking in a hall entry way waiting for the display time.  The ladies were from our guest charity, Mitchell's Miracles, who were collecting on the stand for the 3 days of the con. 

45195458055_d9f1dab1e5_c.jpg

London Comic Con October 2018

This is a cut from some video, complete with badly timed trooper looking to the side  :6:

The afternoon was much of the same with a few stints on the club stand for photo-ops by the Death Star wall.  Day was called when a spotter noticed I was getting "trooper legs" with about an hour left of the con.

Armour did sterling service but on the way out of the venue I was thanking a spotter for help with the lift doors when some one opened a door into my helmet bag! The damage wasn't too bad, about 1/2 long maybe a touch more along a tube seam.  20 minutes with some T shirt and super glue and I was ready for the next one.

Troop #15 - 24 November 2018 - MCM ComicCon Birmingham (approx 5 hours in armour)

A few firsts for me on this one: First time at the Birmingham Comicon, First time I've talked the wife in to coming along in an official capacity and also the first time away with out the kids in over 5 years!

Day started with our briefing taking place on the main stage with use of the PA, this was a novel change from someone shouting across the changing room. After this the wife was whisked away for her induction briefing (safety talk and basics of spotting) so I didn't see her again until mid morning.

45383876784_4447f359d3_c.jpg

MCM ComicCon Birmingham

Between the UKG, Reel Icons, Rebel Command, Rebel Legion, Mando Mercs, 15th Cyber Legion, UK Colonial Marines and the UK Predators we had over 300 costumers plus a number of spotters.  This was a record as far as I am aware and the presence was immense.  First thing in the morning you couldn't not see a group of the costumers out working the crowd.

31168654927_e7e28e7375_c.jpg

IMG_6MCM ComicCon Birmingham583

Also new for me I volunteered to take part in a talk by our CO Garry Hales (also LXO) about the UKG/Reel Icons/Rebel Command and what we do from both a costuming and charity point of view.  I was first up on stage, easier said than done there was a step, and was on stage for a few minutes and all the details of the costume and blaster where pointed out to the crowd.  I was quite proud that the crowd was noticeably larger by the end of my bit, and that nothing fell off :laugh1:  I was followed up by a snowy, an OT and FO Tie, Lord Vader, some stage invading Jawa, Batman, Iron Man and 2 Judges from Dredd(2012).  Whilst it was only a small stage by the end of our talk it was a full crowd with many standing as well.  Very proud to be part of that.

46058039242_9b3b09ff48_c.jpg

MCM ComicCon Birmingham

One of the big draws for MCM Birmingham is the big group photo.  Sadly due to the size of the crowd (there were also other shows on at the venue) and the huge number of customers the normal ramp wasn't able to be used so we used the queue hall for a big wide shot.  The final image for this is HUGE so rather than kill everyones bandwidth I'll add a video taken by our GWL Wayne Allen TK 52517

During a break my wife noticed a few cracks forming on my armour, one of which risked snapping a corner off the button plate on my chest.  Rather than risk losing the corner I elected to de-kit for the day.

I spent the rest of the day looking after the Rogue One team consisting of Director Krennic, 2 Death Troopers, 2 Shore Troopers an a Jyn.  Having a nice sized group of R1 costumes together really gave a nice big impact

45383870414_4f950410bd_c.jpg

MCM ComicCon Birmingham

These guys were also cool, I guess.

45196447215_b508e64f29_c.jpg

MCM ComicCon Birmingham

These are members of our Reel Icons club, most/all are also 501st members 1 is an LCOG.

• Like 3

Apparently the talk was videod by our GML

I was up first, I had no briefing about what to expect other than there was stairs to be careful on, and nearly missed on the way off.
  • Like 3