Photobucket vs. Facebook

CrookKnight

I do not know if everyone knows this, but you can use Facebook, instead of Photobucket to upload your photos.  It is very easy and not nearly as cumbersome as Photobucket and has unlimited storage.

This is the process:

1. Go to either your Facebook Home Page or your Profile Page.
  2. Select "Photos."
  3. Choose "Create Album"
  4. At this point you can upload an entire folder of photos.  Select your photos and upload.
  5. Name the album.
  6. When you go to post, you can select "Only Me" for who sees this, if you do not want it to post to your Facebook Timeline.
  7. Now, when you go to upload the photo to this site, do the same procedure, except when you select the image to upload, right click on the photo in the album, select "Copy Image Address", paste it into the URL box in your post and your picture will post.  Use the same process as Photobucket, just go to your facebook photo album, instead.

I have been using this and it has been working great.  It has been saving me a lot of time.

• Like 5

Great information.  I'll be using this when I submit for EIB!

It has been working great for me and saves so much time.

It is nice not to have to deal with Photobucket's slow website and adds.

Also, good luck on the EIB application.

• Like 1

One thing to consider - Facebook is not accessible worldwide so we may get issues with peoples in those countries being blocked from seeing that content. China and Vietnam are two countries with 501st garrisons that will not be able to see that content. Photobucket may be cumbersome, but at least people can access it.

• Like 1

One thing to consider - Facebook is not accessible worldwide so we may get issues with peoples in those countries being blocked from seeing that content. China and Vietnam are two countries with 501st garrisons that will not be able to see that content. Photobucket may be cumbersome, but at least people can access it.

Hmmm. I was not aware of that issue.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Here is a good reference:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/03/turkey-facebook-youtube-twitter-blocked

Alas, Turkey is now blocking Twitter & YouTube, but so far FB is open there. I mention this as we do have a good size China garrison, not sure about the size in Viet Nam.

• Like 1

Here is a good reference:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/03/turkey-facebook-youtube-twitter-blocked

Alas, Turkey is now blocking Twitter & YouTube, but so far FB is open there. I mention this as we do have a good size China garrison, not sure about the size in Viet Nam.

Based on this, I am going to switch back to photobucket. I knew it was to good to be true.

For what it's worth, another reason to consider skipping the FB route is the fact that FB crunches the resolution of all photos, degrading the quality.  It may not matter for pics of you and your friends out on the night on the town, but for detail shots (and especially EIB/Centurion submissions where the judges want to be able to zoom in for maximum detail), it can really screw things up.  It's especially hard on on things like small text in a photo.

A rather dramatic case in point: The photo that someone did for Rogue One, annotating that high res promo shot of Stormtroopers crossing the water, with text pointing out all of the changes from the OT TK armor?  I've seen it shared on FB a number of times, and even if you click on the image and use the "Download" option, which supposedly gives you the highest resolution image, the text is unreadable.  They do the same thing in FB Messenger, btw, just FYI.  The ONLY way to get the original image is via a link to the photo hosted elsewhere.

Link to FB pic, shared via the OP's method: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155155602903072&l=ef54a45ae2

Link to original high res image, which I've hosted elsewhere (click to open): http://www.kppix.com/piwigo/upload/2017/01/09/20170109102512-d07fcd4b.jpg

I always assumed you could download the original, if you took the time to navigate, until I was trying to share this pic, and people complained.  Then I tried to PM it to people, and they still complained.  Once I realized what was happening, using the hosted link fixed the problem, but the moral of the story is: Facebook screws up your pics, so don't count on them for anything important!

• Like 2

Once again, good information to be had on the FB versus Photobucket thread.  I didn't realize how low quality of an image Facebook has with regards to their images.  So I suppose it's default Photobucket from here on out when submitting for EIB.  Is anyone out there aware of any less cumbersome apps than Photobucket that could be used?  I haven't used Photobucket but from what I'm hearing it sounds as though it isn't prime.

For what it is worth, Facebook is not reducing the quality of my images. It uploads everything at high resolution when I insert it into an album. That being said I am still going to use Photobucket since it has no issues with any of the forums for any of the countries.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, Facebook is not reducing the quality of my images. It uploads everything at high resolution when I insert it into an album. That being said I am still going to use Photobucket since it has no issues with any of the forums for any of the countries.

It's merely an intellectual exercise, at this point, but I would challenge you to try my comparison, above, uploading that high resolution image with details that make the change very obvious.  It's not always apparent that Facebook is lowering the resolution, but I have yet to find an instance where it's not.

Edited by kman
  • Like 1