Full Integration - Optical / Audio / Cooling

• 7 months later...
It might take away from screen accuracy, but could the helmet ear buttons be used for switching between audio features?
I guess that's the challenge. Keeping it all accurate but developing and improving.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, CTID said:

I guess that's the challenge. Keeping it all accurate but developing and improving.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Honestly, if they look really close like John Danter's did, they should be fine for 99% of the troops you do *after* you join the Legion.  I would use the regular ears to get your Legion acceptance first though.

• Like 1

I’d basically like to be able to hear around me like I don’t have a helmet on and see like I’m wearing a motorcycle helmet as far as up and down. All I want :) I’d be on your list/interested for those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you could make a helmet out of a see through material, then have the white and markings printed over sort of like they do on fully painted buses and sliding doors - your vision would still get distorted from the contours, but it would be better. Up close it probably wouldn't be very screen accurate though.

Didn't I see somewhere that someone was looking into installing a viewing screen inside the helmet that would show a full view? It filmed from outside of the helmet then used a display inside? I think they looked at multiple camera views and everything.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 2:28 AM, TK30916 said:

I wear glasses. Would the vision screen be adjustable so as not to wear glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any close-up screens will need lenses so you can focus on them. You'll just need different lenses. 

Grizff18, seeing as well out of a TK helmet as out of a motorcycle helmet is a tall order. MC helmets are required by law to let the rider see the instruments. All the MC helmet I've owned have excellent peripheral vision. (The helmets worn by the guys on the speeders give me the heebie-jeebies!)

The biggest concern I have about active processing for screens and sound is processing time. Even if you use direct analog in and out for sound, any DSP will delay speech and hearing. Unless you want to carry a multicore i7 in your backpack, the best approach for audio would be primitive analog. For video, you'll always get lag, and that will disorient you like a bad VR setup. The analog solution here is left as an exercise to the graduate student in math and optics. :0Lighten:

Edited by Timberwoof
Added more comments

Any close-up screens will need lenses so you can focus on them. You'll just need different lenses.

Alas, crap to get old.  I'm one of those people who uses a different set of glasses for reading as I do for distance.  When I used HoloLens, I used my distance glasses and found that worked better for me, though it seemed counter-intuitive at the time.  I guess the other option would be to have a lower screen so people with bi-focals can look down to read an up to see far.

• 3 months later...