38.1mm Pipe Build Preparation

Tee-Kay Fisto

Hi All

I'm thinking of putting together an ANH E-11 Blaster using 38.1mm pipe as this was the original size of a sterling.

I've started sourcing different pieces from different people and places.

Got a 3D printed working folding stock and electronics from blaster-master through a well known multi-coloured auction site.

Got a hasbro and a disney parks electronic blasters for possible electronics robbery. (I like to have options) Again got these via our friendly go-to auction site.

Got a spare magazine that I ordered from Gazmosis

I've used Shapeways for parts for my Doopy E-11 so I know there are loads of parts available for detailing.

Managed to get my grubby little hands on a genuine M38A2 scope. :) Lovely!!!

Got various bits of aluminium flat bar, angle and rod.

Fieldmarshall is doing some wonderful things to help us builders along with his amazing parts.

Aaron (usaeatt2) does a very nice resin barrels and muzzles.

So much more I could list from T-tracks to grip assemblies via capacitors and Hengstlers.

The first stumbling block I have come across that would stop this going ahead in 38mm pipe is that I have not been able to find a template for this size of pipe. I have found the ones Aaron posted a couple of years ago but they are for 40mm pipe.

Does anyone know where I can find templates to suit this size of pipe? :blink:

Thanks for stopping by for a read but please don't expect a flurry of building activity soon as I want to make sure I have everything I need in hand before I start building.

Besides that I have had my armour for almost a year now and it is still in bits as life keeps rearing its intrusive head and getting in the way of the important things.

Cheers  :duim:

Brian

• Like 1

Hi, I just saw your question and thought maybe the following would point you in the right direction.

Here's a link to the post I found the template I used:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16705-the-best-sterling-templates-ever/?p=203898

Make sure you get the 38.1mm OD tube/pipe template as they also did a conversion for 40mm in the same post.

You can see that I'm using them in my build here (sorry, not trying to hijack just wanted to show you an example of them being used right now):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40055-my-crazy-e11-adventure/

Let me know if I can help, and good luck,

-Dana

• Like 1

I possibly still have the 38.1 templates that Aaron did for me when I built my blasters. Will have to check when I get home from work (if no one gets back to you beforehand)

Thanks Ian I appreciate that.

I have seen a couple of instances where people are having to resize/rescale their templates to make them fit correctly so all the help I can get will be gladly accepted.

Just about to place the order for the aluminium pipe right now as it seems templates can be found.

Cheers

Brian

Hi, I just saw your question and thought maybe the following would point you in the right direction.

Here's a link to the post I found the template I used:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16705-the-best-sterling-templates-ever/?p=203898

Make sure you get the 38.1mm OD tube/pipe template as they also did a conversion for 40mm in the same post.

You can see that I'm using them in my build here (sorry, not trying to hijack just wanted to show you an example of them being used right now):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40055-my-crazy-e11-adventure/

Let me know if I can help, and good luck,

-Dana

Hi Dana

Followed the link to the templates and downloaded them thanks for that link. :duim:

Just ordered 2mtrs of 38.1 x 1.6mm Aluminium tube. This way I have enough tube for 4 barrels in case I make a right mess of it. Or maybe just make more blasters :D

Don't wory about hijacking as I'm now following your build, which is awesome by the way. I now have yet another great build to aim towards.

I wish I was able to get my hands on genuine sterling parts but no chance of that in the UK and shipping gun parts into the UK is a big No-No. Don't want to go for a de-activated Sterling as building the blaster is the fun part.

Thanks for the advice and expect me to drop by your build from time to time for inspiration and ideas.

Cheers

Brian

• 5 weeks later...

Well Hello again.

How nice to see you.

Got some more parts for the future build. Ordered a few very nice bits from Robert at stormtrooperblaster.com

Got the bolt, charging handle and grip asembly. All very nice parts made of black plastic and finely detailed

32706185396_d581385f3e_c.jpgLovely new toys by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

32747082595_9a9ebb2b42_c.jpgBolt details by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

32623499771_1f886970f4_c.jpgBolt rear by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

32623499931_5da23ae796_c.jpgGrip and charging handle by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Obviously need to clean up and drill a few bits out but plenty of time for that (who am I kidding - never enough time)

Still looking around for other bits and pieces, seen lots of sights and magazines but not seen any mag wells kicking about. Anybody got a suggestion on where I might find such a thing? I have neither the skill or the patience to learn about 3D design and printing like so many talented people on here have done.

Thanks for stopping by for a look

Brian

• Like 2

Hi All

I'm thinking of putting together an ANH E-11 Blaster using 38.1mm pipe as this was the original size of a sterling.

I've started sourcing different pieces from different people and places.

Got a 3D printed working folding stock and electronics from blaster-master through a well known multi-coloured auction site.

Got a hasbro and a disney parks electronic blasters for possible electronics robbery. (I like to have options) Again got these via our friendly go-to auction site.

Got a spare magazine that I ordered from Gazmosis

I've used Shapeways for parts for my Doopy E-11 so I know there are loads of parts available for detailing.

Managed to get my grubby little hands on a genuine M38A2 scope. :) Lovely!!!

Got various bits of aluminium flat bar, angle and rod.

Fieldmarshall is doing some wonderful things to help us builders along with his amazing parts.

Aaron (usaeatt2) does a very nice resin barrels and muzzles.

So much more I could list from T-tracks to grip assemblies via capacitors and Hengstlers.

The first stumbling block I have come across that would stop this going ahead in 38mm pipe is that I have not been able to find a template for this size of pipe. I have found the ones Aaron posted a couple of years ago but they are for 40mm pipe.

Does anyone know where I can find templates to suit this size of pipe? :blink:

Thanks for stopping by for a read but please don't expect a flurry of building activity soon as I want to make sure I have everything I need in hand before I start building.

Besides that I have had my armour for almost a year now and it is still in bits as life keeps rearing its intrusive head and getting in the way of the important things.

Cheers  :duim:

Brian

i got the template free from Robert at stormtrooperblaster.com when i bought the 38.1 mm pipe from him

i got the template free from Robert at stormtrooperblaster.com when i bought the 38.1 mm pipe from him

Robert is a great guy to deal with. The link Dana posted worked well for me as I was sourcing my own pipe which I'm trying hard not to start working on until after I finish my armour.

No point in having blasters and not being able to show them off properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38.1mm is the metric equivalent of 1.5" I got from a UK supplier. It has 16 gauge wall thickness I think but I will check later when I can access my PC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I stopped in here so I thought it was about time for a wee update.

More parts have been ordered (but sadly not arrived yet) for the future build.

T-tracks from Roy @ WannaWanga

Replica hengstler counter from Bluesnaggletooth's 9th run here on FISD. Also ordered a genuine counter from him as well since I've decided that as well as this pipe build I am planning to try get a de-activated sterling and do a conversion on that. My genuine scope will be fitted to that so waiting on availability of scope kits from Brian (Bulldog44).

Also ordered more nice things from Robert at stormtrooperblaster.com. Waiting on delivery of magazine house assembly, foresight assembly, flash guards and bayonet lug. Was really impressed with the quality of Robert's plastic parts I got before so decided to stick with him for these parts.

I will post pictures of the parts when I receive them.

Cheers

Brian

• Like 1

Hello again my friends

All my lovely parts arrived over the past couple of days so I thought it was time to post photos :jc_doublethumbup:

First a group shot then a bit more detail

33956327686_f9d58fcbcb_c.jpgBlaster parts by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33956327326_17b035d17e_c.jpgMagazine well assembly by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33154454944_63708e7073_c.jpgSmall blaster bits by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33997712605_f4029142b2_c.jpgT-Tracks by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33154456084_252fdd59c7_c.jpgHengstlers by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33868046471_bc3f237738_c.jpgHengstler counters by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

I couldn't be happier with all of the parts. Roberts plastic parts are amazing  again. The t-tracks look great and seem to sit very well on the 38mm pipe (just a quick try). The hengstlers from Dennis are Fantastic. The replica is an amazing piece of work.

This cuts down my list of parts to buy a little bit. That's probably just wishful thinking after deciding to try a sterling conversion.

I think my next big purchase is going to need some serious research. Power Cylinders. I've been looking at a couple of options, either Andy - PlayfulWolfCub, or Chris - FieldMarshall as both of these guys are offering amazing kit. As I'm hopefully doing two builds maybe I should get one from each of them?

Anyone got comments on which to go for and advice on the many different shapes available. I'm sorry but I can't see much different between the various shapes available from both of these guys :huh:

Thanks for looking and any advice you may have :duim:

Brian

• Like 2

Nice kit parts! Look great. Robert makes some amazing casted parts. Dennis's counter is spot on too. Your blaster will be amazing! Hoping to rollout some scope kits soon. Just waiting on some parts to arrive for the fasteners and lenses. Hope my scopes compare in quality, trying to get the best casts possible with out using a pressure chamber. <br>

Looking forward to your build as it progresses. <br><br>

Brian.

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 2

Thanks Brian. I hope you are a patient man as the build is still a bit away as still to source the rest of the parts. From everything I have heard your scopes are the very best quality which is more pressure on me trying to put everyone's great work together in a blaster which does them justice.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your kits going live.

• Like 1

I have ordered several parts from Robert and a counter from Dennis as well, and I am happy to see your positive feedback on their products. Looking forward to seeing your build! All the best man.

You won't be disappointed with the parts you have ordered. I can't compliment the workmanship enough. Both guys are a pleasure to do business with too which really matters.

At the rate I'm going you will have a build thread going before I do as I'm on a final push to get my armour finished.

Edited by Bri_McD135

Hello again my friends

All my lovely parts arrived over the past couple of days so I thought it was time to post photos :jc_doublethumbup:

First a group shot then a bit more detail

33956327686_f9d58fcbcb_c.jpgBlaster parts by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33956327326_17b035d17e_c.jpgMagazine well assembly by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33154454944_63708e7073_c.jpgSmall blaster bits by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33997712605_f4029142b2_c.jpgT-Tracks by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33154456084_252fdd59c7_c.jpgHengstlers by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

33868046471_bc3f237738_c.jpgHengstler counters by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

I couldn't be happier with all of the parts. Roberts plastic parts are amazing  again. The t-tracks look great and seem to sit very well on the 38mm pipe (just a quick try). The hengstlers from Dennis are Fantastic. The replica is an amazing piece of work.

This cuts down my list of parts to buy a little bit. That's probably just wishful thinking after deciding to try a sterling conversion.

I think my next big purchase is going to need some serious research. Power Cylinders. I've been looking at a couple of options, either Andy - PlayfulWolfCub, or Chris - FieldMarshall as both of these guys are offering amazing kit. As I'm hopefully doing two builds maybe I should get one from each of them?

Anyone got comments on which to go for and advice on the many different shapes available. I'm sorry but I can't see much different between the various shapes available from both of these guys :huh:

Thanks for looking and any advice you may have :duim:

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm building up pretty much the same parts as you.. Just need to decide on a aluminum of plastic pipe, T--tracks and where to use my real scope.. Might go for one of Brian's casts..

P.S. Robs stuff is amazing..

Hi Brian,

I'm building up pretty much the same parts as you.. Just need to decide on a aluminum of plastic pipe, T--tracks and where to use my real scope.. Might go for one of Brian's casts..

P.S. Robs stuff is amazing..

Hey Bryn

Looks like there will be a few good builds going on around the same time :duim:

I'm using aluminium as I heard of a couple of people who had their plastic pipe collapse on them after drilling them. Probably depends on the type of pipe you use as Robert sells plastic pipe so must be good stuff he uses and you get the drilling template with it according to Darthcue in an earlier post here.

I'm hoping for one of Brian's resin scopes for the pipe build and my real one will go on a sterling once I get it ordered (soon I hope)

Hope you get all your parts sorted soon. I look forward to watching your blaster come together :jc_doublethumbup:

Cheers

Brian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again

Since my last post here I've finished my armour and passed basic clearance :jc_doublethumbup:

I AM NOW A STORMTROOPER  TK18910 serving with Unquestioned Loyalty  :dancing-trooper:

Back to the blaster prep in hand. Received another box of goodness in the post this week

34148206422_89149db9ff_c.jpgSterling 1 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

34265201976_7b9cc20b48_c.jpgSterling 2 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

34174733791_f02977af9f_c.jpgSterling 3 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Went and got myself a deactivated sterling to play with. This is going to get my vintage scope and hengstler fitted.

Got a length of 20mm x 2mm mild steel flat bar to make the scope rail as the aluminium I have might not be strong enough. This means that I need to get more T-tracks ordered and get moving on power cells too. still can't make up my mind which ones to go for so any advice would be gladly received.

Thats it for now but hopefully I will be able to focus on this project now that my armour is done (just got some photos to take to start the EIB and then Centurion clearance process)

Thanks for looking in again

See you on the Dark Side

Brian

• Like 3

Wow! Brian that is one beautiful deactivate sterling! I am filled with trooper envy! Congrats on basic clearance. One you get that blaster up and ready, start blasting those Rebels! I am not sure if Andy still makes his power cells but they are really nice. Fieldmarshall makes them just a nice. He kindly sent me one of his fabricated capacitors and it looks awesome. You can't go wrong with either . As far as the style, just pick your favorite trooper scene from ANH check Andy's research chart to see which plate style was recorded for it. I know, its like being in a candy shop. Hope that helps with some decision making. Looking so forward to seeing your real Sterling complete! Super!

• Like 1

Hello Again

Since my last post here I've finished my armour and passed basic clearance :jc_doublethumbup:

I AM NOW A STORMTROOPER  TK18910 serving with Unquestioned Loyalty  :dancing-trooper:

Back to the blaster prep in hand. Received another box of goodness in the post this week

34148206422_89149db9ff_c.jpgSterling 1 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

34265201976_7b9cc20b48_c.jpgSterling 2 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

34174733791_f02977af9f_c.jpgSterling 3 by brian.mcdavid, on Flickr

Went and got myself a deactivated sterling to play with. This is going to get my vintage scope and hengstler fitted.

Got a length of 20mm x 2mm mild steel flat bar to make the scope rail as the aluminium I have might not be strong enough. This means that I need to get more T-tracks ordered and get moving on power cells too. still can't make up my mind which ones to go for so any advice would be gladly received.

Thats it for now but hopefully I will be able to focus on this project now that my armour is done (just got some photos to take to start the EIB and then Centurion clearance process)

Thanks for looking in again

See you on the Dark Side

Brian

Welcome to the Legion Bro!!! Congrats... :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: I just want to ask you where did you get your deactivated sterling?

Edited by darthcue

Welcome to the Legion Bro!!! Congrats... :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: I just want to ask you where did you get your deactivated sterling?

Hi Ted

http://www.jaybe-militaria.co.uk/is where I got my Sterling. I think I got his last one after trying another couple of UK websites. I found a couple while looking that were just stupid expensive which explains why they were still available.

• Like 1