Cover strip widths

Falciform13

I've seen several threads regarding the widths (15mm for arms, 20mm front legs, 25 back of legs, etc.).  I'm trying to build to Centurion requirements.  My question is if the cover strip needs to cover the entire flat joint area.  In other words, if the flat joint area measures 25 mm, does my cover strip then need to be 25mm or can I use the 15mm to be accurate?

Hi there! Generally the flattened area of your butt joint should be trimmed on each side to roughly equal one half the width of the strip that area requires. For example your forearms use a 15mm strip. The flat area on each side would be trimmed to be 7.5mm. That way the strip completely covers the total flat area when the pieces are joined. Sizing then is done in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stratcat96

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

FEI, these canon measurements are for screen accuracy. Neither Sly or myself will ask you to pull out a ruler during L2 or L3. What we do ask however is that the areas look uniform. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes the "flat areas" of the butt joints are on the front. Those joints in the front are trimmed to accommodate the strip size. The rear uses the same size strip but does not have to be trimmed in a particular way to accommodate it. You take off as much or as little as you need to size. As ukswrath says, those sizes are for accuracy, but if a trooper needs to use something bigger to accommodate shimming or something like that bc he needs more space, you can use something bigger but it just needs to be uniform. So if you need to use a larger size strip, do it on the front and back

Yes the "flat areas" of the butt joints are on the front. Those joints in the front are trimmed to accommodate the strip size. The rear uses the same size strip but does not have to be trimmed in a particular way to accommodate it. You take off as much or as little as you need to size. As ukswrath says, those sizes are for accuracy, but if a trooper needs to use something bigger to accommodate shimming or something like that bc he needs more space, you can use something bigger but it just needs to be uniform. So if you need to use a larger size strip, do it on the front and back

A little clarification, if you need to enlarge sections (shim) due to a larger body size it is still recommend you maintain the correct cover strip widths however, they dont need to be perfect.

Thanks for the clarification Tony - it's good to know ideal sizes that *should* be used but also the scope of differentiation allowable. What's the Air Force saying? If it looks right, flies right?

Thanks Guys for your input and I apologize if I'm a little dense.  My body type is close to the those of the original actors used - 5'10" about 160 lbs.  Right now I have the biceps and forearms trimmed a slightly bigger.  In order words not trimmed to 15mm.  When I started cutting my cover strips and putting them against the pieces, I wasn't sure if it looked quite right.  Most pics that I'm seeing from other builds do not look like they are using the 15mm strips.  I understand that it's probably because of different body types.  So, I guess I revert back to my original question.  Is it "ok" to glue the 15mm strip onto the flattened joint that is more then 15mm?  Or should I trim it down to 15mm so the strip covers the entire area.  Also, from what I'm understanding, the front and back joints should be uniform and shouldn't differ greatly.

For a butt joint with a 15mm coverstrip ypu will trim each half down to 7.5mm. Does that answer your question?

Randy, it does, maybe I'm overthinking it but it seems like all the parts would be so small/narrow.  I just hesitant to cut too much.

Post a picture to get more eye's on it for you. But that is the size of the strips. Did you tape up the pieces and dry run them first? With undersuit on.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

As Randy suggested tape the pieces together first and try for fit, you can overlap them, make sure you can trim to the minimum and they still fit, if not work out how much space you need to leave before trimming

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

FEI, these canon measurements are for screen accuracy. Neither Sly or myself will ask you to pull out a ruler during L2 or L3. What we do ask however is that the areas look uniform. :D

When you say arms, are you referring to forearms and biceps?

• Like 1

1755a4853181cddb5ffc6477e02efd65.jpg

Here's what I have so. Right now but the biceps are trimmed with the butt joints at 25mm. My right forearm is also trimmed to 25mm. The left forearm hasn't been trimmed yet. How does it look? What do you guys think about sizing?

• Like 1

Here's what I have so. Right now but the biceps are trimmed with the butt joints at 25mm. My right forearm is also trimmed to 25mm. The left forearm hasn't been trimmed yet. How does it look? What do you guys think about sizing?

Looking good. The arm cover strips are 15mm, so as Randy mentioned you are shooting for 7.5mm (approximately) on each half of the forearm sides giving you a total of 15mm to glue your cover strip to.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/?p=464957

Thanks Tony.  I can probably trim my forearms a bit more.  Not sure about the biceps though.  How do you think the biceps look?  Do you think 15mm strips would be ok on the 25mm (total) butt joint?

I would remove the upper and lower bicep return edge first then see how much space you have remaining between your body and the armor, I like to use the 1/2" rule for the space. If afterwards you've increased the space then trim more at the butt joint edges, closer to the 15mm goal. If there's no change then still stick with the your current armor measurement yet still install 15mm cover strips. Tape them in place and post a photo here.

You appear to have broad shoulders also. I encourage you to remove a good majority of the shoulder bell lower return edge. This will bring the bell inward towards your chest reducing the bell to chest plate gap Sly and myself most commonly suggest fixing about during L2 approvals.

I trimmed the biceps down to 20mm. I think I'm going to keep it that way in order to stay proportional to the forearm. I'm keeping the forearm at 20mm because as of now I'm squeezing to get it in. I won't be able to get my hand through if I go smaller.

a66207bca57a49da23f50c93ac87be21.jpg