Centurion Anovos shim

Is the shim mounted behind the kidney plate?, sorry I can't tell from the image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the shim is mounted to the kidney plate. It is lined up between the top and bottom return edge.

It looks like you have glued the plate behind. Normally you would use a piece next to the edge and glue a joining pieced behind, so there is no step.

I considered have the two edges come together and using abs paste, but based on experience shimming my thighs I did not want to go that route. Additionally the shim it not the same abs as the armor, it is a bit thicker and less flexible.

Glen is correct in the way the side shims need to be mounted. They should be flush with the kidney plate and not mounted behind it. That leaves a seam line that gets filled with ABS past, then sanded back and polished to make the kidney plate look like it is all the same piece.

Another question if I may, have you shimmed both side Left and right of the kidney plate?

For Centurion it must be flush (not sure about EIB) so this will not work. You don't have to remove the entire shim, this one can be used as the support strip for the new shim. You need to find a piece of abs with the same thickness as your kidney plate. Then shorten your current shim, but leave enough so you can glue the new shim on top of it. It should be flush with the kidney plate. Then use abs paste and a lot of sanding and polishing to hide the seam. This will get you to Centurion.

• Like 1

Scary guy is 100% correct. You have created the perfect platform on which to mount the shim so it sits flush. ABS paste is easier than you may think to make and use, so the big thing here is to get hold of some thin ABS that is close in colour. You might consider contacting the armourers you purchased the kit from and asking if they have some of the same ABS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is an Anovos kit and they will not give extra abs or tell me the color, they just recommended I take it to a shop and have someone try to color match. I have pleanty of abs paste that I made for some touch ups. The shim is slightly off from the armor color wise but if you look at the picture its really close. I guess I will have to suck it up and try to shim it that way.

It is an Anovos kit and they will not give extra abs or tell me the color, they just recommended I take it to a shop and have someone try to color match. I have pleanty of abs paste that I made for some touch ups. The shim is slightly off from the armor color wise but if you look at the picture its really close. I guess I will have to suck it up and try to shim it that way.

You can do it brother, we are here to help.

• 2 years later...

Late to this party. I was researching if Anovos rivets were passable for Centurion, and came across this thread. I shimmed my sides exactly how Jake has done. I guess I will have a little more work ahead of me to go for Centurion. 

6 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Late to this party. I was researching if Anovos rivets were passable for Centurion, and came across this thread. I shimmed my sides exactly how Jake has done. I guess I will have a little more work ahead of me to go for Centurion. 

The rivets Anovos supplies are certainly passable at Centurion, Mark.  As for shimming, level 2 (EI) only requires that the shim be flush (not overlapped).  For level 3, the seem must not be present.  As mentioned, ABS paste is really not that difficult to work with.  If you (or anyone) needs some Anovos ABS scraps to insure the color matches I can probably round up some for you.  The main key is not to add too much ABS paste to the seam... just enough to cover it.  The more you add, the more you have to sand off.

Here is a great thread (read down a bit) that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30226-side-shims-on-abkidney-help/

1 minute ago, justjoseph63 said:

The rivets Anovos supplies are certainly passable at Centurion, Mark.  As for shimming, level 2 (EI) only requires that the shim be flush (not overlapped).  For level 3, the seem must not be present.  As mentioned, ABS paste is really not that difficult to work with.  If you (or anyone) needs some Anovos ABS scraps to insure the color matches I can probably round up some for you.  The main key is not to add too much ABS paste to the seam... just enough to cover it.  The more you add, the more you have to sand off.

Here is a great thread (read down a bit) that may help:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30226-side-shims-on-abkidney-help/

Thank you, Joseph. I saved all my scraps during the trimming process and should have plenty to make ABS paste, which I have never done before. I will read the thread you provided to learn more about fixing the shims. 

2 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Thank you, Joseph. I saved all my scraps during the trimming process and should have plenty to make ABS paste, which I have never done before. I will read the thread you provided to learn more about fixing the shims. 

Hint:  Cut the ABS scraps into really tiny pieces, and purchase full strength acetone from Lowe's or Home Depot.  Add it a little at a time until you get the right consistency (think toothpaste).   Also, be sure to do it in a GLASS jar with a lid.  When making a large amount, be patient and mix frequently, as it sometimes takes a while for the acetone to dissolve the scraps.  Keep the lid on while waiting, or it will solidify quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Hint:  Also, be sure to do it in a GLASS jar with a lid

Just don't use a Ball branded mason jar as the lid's rubber seal will melt from the acetone fumes, fall into your paste, and give it a nice tinge of orange. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Just don't use a Ball branded mason jar as the lid's rubber seal will melt from the acetone fumes, fall into your paste, and give it a nice tinge of orange. lol

Good point, Eric!  A tall baby-food jar works great.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Thank you for the guidance and information, Joseph. I will probably start this process in the coming weeks. 

If you are up to the task, a detailed tutorial with lots of photos of your endeavor would not go unappreciated, especially by those who need it.. (Hint hint, lol). ;)

21 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

If you are up to the task, a detailed tutorial with lots of photos of your endeavor would not go unappreciated, especially by those who need it.. (Hint hint, lol). ;)

Sure thing. I will try and post a step by step process.

• Like 1

Looking forward to it!!  :popcorn:  If it turns out as well as I'm sure it will, I will pin it in the Tutorials area.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, TK-42134 said:

Sure thing. I will try and post a step by step process.

This may be good reference for you, I did something similar but with my thighs (not ab/kidney), a companion piece would be a great addition to the tutorial section though:

• Like 1