RynoHawk's AM 2.0 ANH Stunt Build.

RynoHawk

Okay, so after a little over a year since joining the 501st, I'm finally purchased an AM 2.0 kit and it's en route. My original plan when joining was to buy one initially and start out as a TK. However, money was a tad short and to be honest I was really pumped up to join, so I started with a Imperial Bridge Crewman costume that I eventually upgraded to Imperial Gunner. I was then going to go full TIE pilot, but there's a bit of a wait for most kits and AM just so happened have a run about ready to finish up and ship so I was able to go with what I wanted to do in the first place! Originally, I had planned to hopefully have this ready in time to take to Celebration in April, but some other unforeseen circumstances have made me have to cancel my trip. Not a complete bad thing as it takes some pressure off the build as I don't have a deadline, and I can still troop in my current costumes so no hurry there either.

I have had a blast trooping as a crewman/Reserve TIE and gunner, but I am stoked to finally start on my dream costume! Also, I didn't really build anything with my current costumes, save for padding my gunner helmet and painting a Disney blaster so it looks more "troopable." So this will be my first real build of basically anything. I'm the guy that would glue his fingers together when building model airplanes, so hopefully I don't destroy anything in the process. ;)

The past week or two, I've been procuring the tools and other stuff I will need to build the kit and have been reading over other build threads. Ukswrath's and Navajo Bro's build threads and Panda Trooper's videos have been particularly insightful among others. Today I finished up buying most of what I need to get started that I don't already have and organizing my work area in my garage. I don't know when I will actually start building as my garage is not insulated or climate controlled and it's been OMG cold the past few days. Hopefully, I'll get some days where I can work in there and not freeze and be able to finish up before I bake. Also have some TK Boots en route, which according to UPS are sitting in Memphis along with my armor. I will likely get both boxes the same day!

The armor is AM 2.0, but I guess it may be more like AM 2.1 as he is now making the helmet as a two piece assembly (I believe the top and back are one piece now) as opposed to the three piece he used to ship.

Only major thing I really need to get still are some snaps for the snapping and some rare earth magnets for the glue setting. My plan was to work on the straps and such while I was waiting for glue to dry, although I don't know if I need to wait and until I get the armor somewhat together so I can measure?

Anyways, anxiously waiting for that BBB!

Edited by RynoHawk

Congrats on your upcoming BBB day, John!  As for the rare earth magnets, I recommend getting nothing smaller than 20 mm x 3 mm, like these: ------------------- Anythying smaller and you will have to double them up for strength.  The smaller ones are also harder to work with as they stick together.  And by stick together, I mean REALLY adhere to each other.  You can actually break a fingernail trying to separate them if you are not careful.  I also suggest wrapping each one individually in 2 layers of painters' tape.  This way, they will not scratch your armor.  When separating them or removing them from your armor after gluing, hold one in place an slide the other one off.

It's probably best to wait until you have your kit to take measurements for the strapping.  Something that will make this MUCH easier is a wood-burning tool like this one https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weller-Electric-15-Piece-Wood-Burning-Kit/3402984or a soldering iron.  These allow you to make clean holes in nylon and it it seals the edges at the same time.  (The fumes can get a bit intense, so do this in a well ventilated area).

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

My kit and boots are both in Nashville, so hope Brown can do something for me today! Just a run down of what I have so far:

What I have (or in transit)

Most of the tools, glue, straps, etc. I have or are on the way. Waiting on magnets especially but due in on Thursday.

Balaclava.

Under suit.

Blaster (I have a Hyperfirm and a Disney parks one I painted for the lights and "pew pew" sounds. Very popular).

Aker voice amp.

Fans (I may make another set for this, but they are easy to transfer between helmets).

Armor Kit (Due in today).

Boots (Due in today).

What I still need

Canvas belt.

neck seal.

Snaps and set tool.

Holster, although I can possibly convert my existing holster with the belt loops to a ANH TK one by changing the straps.

Paints and brushes.

Need to pick up some tongue depressors (or eat a lot of popsicles) or similar for glue spreading.

Possibly an i-Comm, but not a necessity right now.

I think that's it. I have tried to limit my purchases right now to just the basics, even though I've been tempted by a lot of "Oh, shineys!!!" that do me no good until the costume is complete (also not looking at the swag boards).

Hopefully I will have some BBB pics to post tonight!

It was Big Brown Box day as well as Medium Brown Box day at my house!

L0aatEs.jpg?1

BBB and its little brother.

The smaller box contained my boots from TK Boots.

C2QKAx3.jpg?1

I feel like Tony Manero at Christmas time!

I wear a size 13 off the shelf and after discussing with TK Boots, I went with the size 13D and it fits great (need the provided shoe horn to help).

XIZLSqT.jpg?1

Pardon the messy floor. Dogs and four year olds and all that. Also forgive my hairy legs. :P I wore them around a little bit while I unpacked and organized the TK kit. TK kit also looked great although there was a tiny chip in the end of the faceplate. I think it will be hidden by the helmet though. I also did some pre-pre fitting and unless I lose some waistline, I may have to shim the kidney. I didn't bust the tape out or anything. As I said, I just wanted to get everything unwrapped and organized. But, yay I have a kit to work on now!

Congrats on the BBB and MBB day! AM 2.0 is an interesting kit to get into. I'm taking it slowly, but surely. In regards to the helmet, I emailed Troopergear a few days ago about possibly buying a pre-assembled one, as I'm a bit of a clutz. Also, make sure that every part is there! I just found out yesterday that I'm missing my thigh ammo pack and accidentally got two belt pieces. I'll email him about that once he replies to the helmet thing, but just a warning!

Good luck!

Awesome Ryno! I would say "race you to the finish line"...but who needs all that unwanted stress! Haha!

I got mine last evening as well. will be great to build together. I also did some fitting, and I think my challenge is going to be taking down what I need to to get it to look right. I was skinny before, but I am just now getting over pneumonia, so I lost a few more lbs. 

Either way...may start with the mid-section, because I'll still need to order my Tkittell belt...but I am like you, at least I now have the kit to work on!

Congrats and have fun!

Congrats on the BBB and MBB day! AM 2.0 is an interesting kit to get into. I'm taking it slowly, but surely. In regards to the helmet, I emailed Troopergear a few days ago about possibly buying a pre-assembled one, as I'm a bit of a clutz. Also, make sure that every part is there! I just found out yesterday that I'm missing my thigh ammo pack and accidentally got two belt pieces. I'll email him about that once he replies to the helmet thing, but just a warning!

Good luck!

Yup, everything is present. I thought I was missing shim/cover strips at first but I found them. ;)

Awesome Ryno! I would say "race you to the finish line"...but who needs all that unwanted stress! Haha!

I got mine last evening as well. will be great to build together. I also did some fitting, and I think my challenge is going to be taking down what I need to to get it to look right. I was skinny before, but I am just now getting over pneumonia, so I lost a few more lbs. 

Either way...may start with the mid-section, because I'll still need to order my Tkittell belt...but I am like you, at least I now have the kit to work on!

Congrats and have fun!

I'm definitely taking my time on this and not rushing. I already have a costume I can troop in so no hurry there. Now if Weird Al comes back through town... :P

Checking in on you brother! Looking good!<br><br>

I have the helmet assembled / paint getting finished up. But really having to work on the gap at tube stripes / ears. <br><br>

Looks great man!

Thanks! I'm suffering through a cold right now so I haven't made in progress since then. Did you use the screws that came with the kit to assemble the faceplate to the back or did you use blind rivets? Also, did your kit come with the frown mesh? I seem to not have that nor one screen for a hovi tip. Should be easy to acquire though.

Almost scary the commonalities...<br><br>

I had pneumonia...so it knocked me down, too...literally the day after BBB day. Been there.<br><br>

I used the 4 long "pan" (the ones with regular screwdriver heads) screws through the ears...the smaller pan screws, one on each side (also have washers on the inside...to prevent cracking) at the bottom of the ear piece...for accuracy. But, yes, I have (3) 1/8" rivets holding it together...had to to keep everything as together as I could. I put one in the ear under the rank stripes to the front (see the diagram from a fellow trooper) in my build thread) but only after "testing" with a screw / washer / bolt for fit. Once everything was how I needed it...I used the rivets...up to down / side to side.<br><br>

I do have some small gaps and have been told to fix them I may need to move the ears down and "twist" the ear piece to close the gap a tad. To be honest...I think my gaps are acceptable and my alignment is spot on...so I may just live with the gaps. Having looked at some pictures...I am pretty sure I am in the "tolerable" range for all approvals I need...and to me...the screen helmets had gaps...so...<br><br>

I did not get a frown screen mesh. But would have replaced with my own anyway.I did get both hovi mic screens. I would send a e-mail to TG and have them shipped you one. Supposed to both be in there. I would suspect they will.<br><br>

Hope this helps brother. I'm finishing up the helmet details tonight...then moving on to the armor. Anything you need or can help with too...let me know.<br><br>

We'll be TK'S in no time!

Glad you feel better, Jon!<br><br>

Got a little bit done today (no pics today though :( ). I had some more tools come in and am mostly over my cold. I filed down the teeth on the helmet a little further and trimmed of return edges on the bottoms of my biceps. After that I tried them on for a basic fit. I got them pretty much were I want them I think but will double check tomorrow. I will also put on my compression shirt to get a better idea of the proper fit. The sleeves of my tee shirt kept bunching up and interfering with pulling the bicep up over my arm.

Right there with you, bro. Funny story, I came walking out of the bathroom in my Under-suit...and after the weight loss, the Mrs. made a rather depressing comment. So, to the gym I go! Haha.

I am trimming along, as well. Really have gotten good with the exacto blade, utility blade and the exacto scissors I have. 

Helmet 98% done and painted. See what you think when you get a chance. I have to get a rivet "hidden" in the brow behind the brow trim to get the "brow" lined up right. The thing was a bear...but I got it done. 

Anyway...good luck and keep the faith! Have fun!

Right there with you, bro. Funny story, I came walking out of the bathroom in my Under-suit...and after the weight loss, the Mrs. made a rather depressing comment. So, to the gym I go! Haha.

I am trimming along, as well. Really have gotten good with the exacto blade, utility blade and the exacto scissors I have. 

Helmet 98% done and painted. See what you think when you get a chance. I have to get a rivet "hidden" in the brow behind the brow trim to get the "brow" lined up right. The thing was a bear...but I got it done. 

Anyway...good luck and keep the faith! Have fun!

I could use to drop some pounds myself. I'm hoping I don't have to shim the kidney and ab as it's kinda looking that way. Haven't trimmed return edge there so maybe I can get some inches there. ;) I saw the helmet and it's looking great! I have the teeth mostly done, but that's it there.

As for the rest of the build, I made some decent progress today and made my first cuts after a few thousand measure and fits. This was done on the left bicep.

ldlNKAc.jpg

You would think a t-shirt would not make that much of a difference when trying to fit a bicep. Wrong! My shirt kept bunching up around the edges so I finally changed into the compression shirt and that was a better result. ;)

After fitting and measuring, I stared at it for awhile to see if it would magically cut itself. When that didn't happen, I referred back to Terry's (Navajo Bro) thread and had an "aha!" moment. I used a ruler to line up with the overlap (or underlap in this case) seam edge underneath. I clamped the ruler to where it lined up and traced with a pencil on the outside opposite the seam. It will appear at an angle to the actual edge but that's okay. I repeated with the other side doing same. I made my cuts using the cut and score method and checked the results. The pieces lined up straight and perfect to each other and fit well.

I used the excess strips I had just cut off and made them into cover strips for the inside. Once trimmed to fit, I glued them in place.

s5NwRk0.jpg

GXOEItm.jpg?1

You can see the cut on the one side. I was happy with how it came out and it gave me some confidence moving forward.

I have also trimmed all the necessary return edge off of the forearms and taped those to fit. Tomorrow I will hopefully get the other bicep cut and glued and start cuts on the forearms.

• Like 1

Outer cover strips installed on the left bicep. Once dry and cleaned up, my first costume piece will be complete. I think I need more clamps and maybe more magnets so I can work a little faster. I did get some tools to start working on the helmet while I wait for glue to dry on other pieces, but I need to get some better clamps to hold it together while I figure out where to line everything up.

Okay, I've come across an issue and don't know if I need to start the helmet over and redo or what. When I matched the faceplate to the cap, the right side cheek between the faceplate and cap seem slightly off. However this was the only way I could get the cap over the eyes the way I wanted it. If the cheeks evened out, then the cap came down over the eyes.

e814GLd.jpg

Here's how it looks in the front. Also, my clamps seemed to have distorted the right eye a bit. Will a heat gun fix that?

HzbKe9L.jpg kL1ULdd.jpg

Here's how the right side looks.

9MQaB7q.jpg

Compared to the left. I haven't put the ear on yet

Is this a major "omg, must fix!" or is it "meh, the screen used weren't perfect either."? I wonder even if I fix if that will make the ears out of wack. There's a bit of a gap (wasn't to worried as I know that was seen onscreen) but don't know how much more I can sand them.

Thanks for assistance and opinions. Wanted to check before I moved on.

Awesome work Reno! We'll be trooping in no time.

Thanks! After looking at your helmet pics again, I'm thinking the issue I have is just the design of the helmet as you seem to have went through similar issues. I think importantly, the brow and traps line up as I can tell and the cheek is not much of an issue so I will carry on. Good job with the paint! I went with the decals as my hand is not that steady (in fact, I may need to redo my trap decals).

Also, forgot to add my kit has been baptized in blood. Poked myself with my knife in the thumb while digging at some glue on the bicep. Good thing I had those cut resistant gloves close by keeping an eye on things. :P

Edited by RynoHawk

Looking good!

I had the same issue. What I decided was that the gaps I had were "acceptable" based off what I saw / see in the screen pics...the Troopers had gaps, why can't I? Haha.

What you don;t see on my helmet, and I didn't mention, was that under my "brow trim" between the eyes is a rivet, keeping the brow up off the eyes. The helmet is wonky, so I had to come up with something. What I saw in a lot of the "approvals" I studied was the most important part is the lining up of the traps / tears / eyes on the side...and the brow is (unless it's super off) / has some preference for the individual. I have seen them way far up, and right on the eyes.

On the paint, I found these "mini applicators" at a hobby shop, they are great! My hand isn't steady either, thanks to all the Mountain Dew I drink...haha.

Anyway, looks great man! I am moving to the thighs and mid-section...and should be done by the end of the weekend. Have my belt on the way (got the TKittell belt). Almost there!

I've been concentrating on the helmet when I've had the time and am almost finished.

After my minor freak out about how the cap and ears lined up, I continued on my way with the rest of the decals (maybe I'll hand paint everything some other time ;) ). They do however simulate hand painted.

p8UjXkO.jpg

I was most happy with the tube stripes. AM kit comes with 16 for each side, but I only used 14 (CRL says between 9 and 16).

o2P9Wth.jpg

I did however paint the ear bars (no decal for that :P ).

l1G92kJ.jpg

Also painted frown (decals provided but didn't use), hovis, and vocoder.

ZyBfUc0.jpg

Only thing I need to do is put screens on hovis and mesh in frown.

wB6wTMq.jpg

Almost there...

fvSufXQ.jpg

Interior. For the lens I just have it velcroed in for now (still has protective film on inside). AM helmet now comes with a foam pad to put in there, but my head wouldn't fit if I used the foam as is. The back of my head touches the helmet without the foam, so I trimmed off the back "leaf" of foam, cut it up into two smaller parts, and added them to sides just above my ears (you can see the two bottom pieces in the pic). This fit much better and also stabilizes the helmet on my head. I also used a small piece of extra foam I had lying around and placed under lens where my nose hits. I smoothed out the lens where I cut it, but this feels much better. Tomorrow, I may pull the fan system out of my gunner helmet and see how everything will fit in my TK one.

A question about the hovi screens if anyone can help. The hovi screens in the AM kit are shaped kinda like thimbles. Do I put it on the hovi tip "upside down", glue it, and cut off the flare part of the screen (if this makes sense)?