Removing Residue

Hi everyone!  I am new to the trooping thing, and finally put my kit together after 12 years of sitting on it.  Since day one, I have had a hard time getting Velcro to stick to the Armor.  The only thing that seems to stick is the residue left over from the pieces when they are removed.  Yes it was industrial strength Velcro.  I have researched techniques for removing the residue, but nothing seems to work.

I am going to modify armor with rivets and thinking of using ABS glue for certain pieces.  Would anyone know if I could just use the glue on top of the residue?  Or does anyone have any secret techniques to removing the old residue that the velcro has left behind?  

1. DO NOT USE RIVETS. If you hope to attain 501st approval, the visible use of rivets will immediately disqualify your costume. The only places that visible rivets can be used are on the sniper plate (not recommended), knee bandolier, holster, and left side of the body. Even then, those call for split rivets - not the pop rivets that most are familiar with.

2. Use E6000 as your adhesive. It dries clear, strong, and flexible - yet if you make a mistake you can easily undo it and start over with no damage to the armor. ABS cement is permanent, and if you use too much it will chemically melt and warp the plastic.

3. The majority of builders here use internal snaps as opposed to Velcro, which is a far more reliable strapping method than a Velcro-based system. A smaller number of us use the original strapping system that involves wire brackets driven through the return edges.

As for your original question, GooGone works well on removing the residue and it doesn't damage the plastic if you follow the usage instructions.

Side note - I notice this is your first post. It would be nice if you did a introduction post in the New Member Introductions section. Also, if your kit is 12 years old then I'm guessing you have an FX kit?

I just posted in new member introductions, sorry I jumped the gun. <br><br>

Yeah it's an FX kit that I had bought years ago and wanted to initially put it on a mannequin in my den. I have put it together and have done quite a few charity events here in Winnipeg. Just annoying that the velcro would keep coming apart.<br><br>

I do appreciate the advice. Im not too worried about being Uber screen accurate. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Goof off. Goo b gone. Just cover it with e6000 and more Velcro...Elcro seen to webbing then glued even better.

No rivets. Except where the suit calls for them. Snaps are better.