My first Costume build... STUNT Trooper ANH

Hello to my fellow Star Wars costume builders and current 501st members. My name is Andy and I hail from the eastern corner of Canada, Moncton New Brunswick. As of December 29, 2016, I have decided to want to build a Stormtrooper and join the 501st! With that being said, I realize that from now till the day I strap on the armor, it will be a long road to completion. I wanted to document my every move in hopes that some day, someone could use my information to guide them in their build.

I want to inform people that I am still months away from ordering my armor cause I am still going through the process of research and finding the right vender. I hope that whoever reads this, enjoys my process and please, feedback is implied.... lots of it please!!

Thanks guys!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, good luck with the research, lots to read in the Getting Started section ;)

• Like 1

So, one of the most important things that I have found, so far, to be very helpful and motivational, was the support from approved members nearest to where I lived. I reached out and they have been so great! They brought me on to their FB group page and have been very welcoming to my excitement on becoming a 501st member.

Now, I am not going to lie, the STUNT trooper wasn't my first choice. I was going to be an AWR trooper from Rogue one. But because it was still in its early stages of molds and people still figuring them out as well as costs for the kits, I chose the STUNT ANH Stormtrooper instead. I can't wait to show off my armor! Haha!

So another important thing and a huge one..... research! So much good information on these threads. So much for me to read. I will post some of my notes soon. But one thing that I see through out is the "ask, ask, ask" line. No question is a stupid question! The more questions u ask, the more you learn.

Welcome to the FISD, Andy, and great to hear that you are doing your research!  There is a ton of information here, but don't let it overwhelm you.  There are some fantastic Troopers up in the "Great White North", and I am sure they will be a big help to you on your TK journey.  After you choose your armorer, my advice is to check out some of the build threads of folks who have that particular kit, as each one has their own little nuances.  Another thing that will help is to look over the Advanced Tactics section at the EIB and Centurion submissions.  These will help to show you how to make your armor more screen accurate, and hopefully you will be aiming for that.

Lastly, once you have ordered your kit I suggest getting all of your build supplies in place before it arrives.  It will make your life much easier, believe me!  I have a thread that will help, and a link is located under the large avatar below.  Take your time, ask questions, and I look forward to your build thread!

• Like 2

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. As a fellow newbie, I am not too far from where you are currently are in your journey. I also built a list similar to yours and vetted out to make my choice. You may want to look at some of your delivery times as many in your list don't appear to be current. Reach out to each before making the final choice. RS looks great at 5 days, but I received a longer wait period. This, mainly due to Rogue One film and current orders. What I decided to do was start my journey with the helmet whilst being placed on the armor waiting list. I chose ATA. He is very prompt, has good communication, great reputation and great pricing. I ordered ANH helmets from ATA, as he has these on hand. I will build the helmet first, while waiting for the armor. This helps me get down the build technique and feed my desire to get started quickly. I still plan to work with RS in the future. Feel free to reach out. I'm going to post my helmet build. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. As a fellow newbie, I am not too far from where you are currently are in your journey. I also built a list similar to yours and vetted out to make my choice. You may want to look at some of your delivery times as many in your list don't appear to be current. Reach out to each before making the final choice. RS looks great at 5 days, but I received a longer wait period. This, mainly due to Rogue One film and current orders. What I decided to do was start my journey with the helmet whilst being placed on the armor waiting list. I chose ATA. He is very prompt, has good communication, great reputation and great pricing. I ordered ANH helmets from ATA, as he has these on hand. I will build the helmet first, while waiting for the armor. This helps me get down the build technique and feed my desire to get started quickly. I still plan to work with RS in the future. Feel free to reach out. I'm going to post my helmet build. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bilko! I look forward to seeing your helmet build. And I have thought about that process, helmet build first. I have sent out emails to each asking what they offer and what their current wait time is. Just need to wait for the replies! I still might do that first.

You should be fine. Just think you won't have to trim length so your halfway there already. You'll just have to evenly space the gaps between pieces.

• Like 1

So, I have decided to go with (AP) Authentic Props. Now with the kit, I am getting the armor and helmet, untrimmed.

Additional stuff that I will need to get:

Boots

Neck seal

Holster

Blaster

Voice changer

Gloves

Under suit

What else am I missing??

Mark (AP) makes awesome armor. Other makers do too, but I love my AP kit.

Your list seems pretty well covered for major items. Depending on your intention for accuracy and just basic approval or EIB/Centurion, definitely check out the threads Joseph linked to above. And keep your garrison mates looped in - they will be able to answer a lot of questions on sourcing items locally.

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 1

I do plan on becoming centurion, but I think I might go for EIB standards when I make mine unless there is a huge difference between EIB and Centurion.

Not much going on right now. Need to finish my basement renos this weekend before I can continue my journey. One thing at a time, but I am keeping up with my research.

Check in soon!

I do plan on becoming centurion, but I think I might go for EIB standards when I make mine unless there is a huge difference between EIB and Centurion.

Not much going on right now. Need to finish my basement renos this weekend before I can continue my journey. One thing at a time, but I am keeping up with my research.

Check in soon!

Hey Andy!

Honestly shoot for Centurion right out the flood gates. Best to do it right away and be ready instead of having to do mods later on, and when your kit is done, ambition to change things drops significantly unless it's for comfort.

There isn't much of a difference anyways, and requires very little extra work. Especially if you plan ahead for it!

Cheers!

-Justin

Edited by C0bra_M3nace
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update everyone! I am still very much wanting to build my ANH costume. I am having a hard time gathering the funds right now. I think it's going to be a little while before I can order something which makes me think I started this thread too early... lol.

I will dawn the armor at some point!

My first entry into here was, I think, 2012. I just got my armor in 2016 and approved last week!!!!<br><br>

I just creeped around the forums wishing wanting and crying I could not afford one myself. But now I am official all I can do is cheer people on (had massive help with mine as I have zero to no skills )

• Like 1