First Build! ESB with AM 2.0

Think I could fit a few more on there?

ed49b5a40314a0e32660cdde6b59a739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can never use too many clamps.  

Also, when putting your velcro on the back of the shins, I recommend using E6000 or whatever glue you're using to adhere it, even if it's sticky-back already.  Sticky back just isn't strong enough to hold up to opening and closing, and if you live anywhere where it will get hot, the glue will melt and it will come off and be a big mess.  I learned about the heat = glue mess from another project.  If you're not using sticky-back then it's kind of a moot point because you'll need to glue it anyway.  

• Like 1

You can never use too many clamps.

Also, when putting your velcro on the back of the shins, I recommend using E6000 or whatever glue you're using to adhere it, even if it's sticky-back already. Sticky back just isn't strong enough to hold up to opening and closing, and if you live anywhere where it will get hot, the glue will melt and it will come off and be a big mess. I learned about the heat = glue mess from another project. If you're not using sticky-back then it's kind of a moot point because you'll need to glue it anyway.

Thanks for the tip. That'll be going on this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a shot of the inside of the helmet. Love to see how you attached the lens and oriented the padding inside the helmet.

Thanks!

A.J.

Still have a little work one that. Right now, the lenses are just one piece of material attached to the ear screws, but I think I will eventually cut some space for my nose. I also have a big head, so I am experimenting with padding. I'll upload as pic of what I have so far later this evening, along with other progress pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still have a little work one that. Right now, the lenses are just one piece of material attached to the ear screws, but I think I will eventually cut some space for my nose. I also have a big head, so I am experimenting with padding. I'll upload as pic of what I have so far later this evening, along with other progress pics.

Here's that helmet interior pic. Still need to mount my USB bank and Hearing Assist system. Hoping to add a mic top speaker system down the road, too. 4e438c153366775edfde41aee2774bd5.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly worked on the belt today and got it done (I think, at least). Awesome TKittell belt. Used a soldering iron to punch the holes and riveted it all together. Put a piece of soft Velcro on the inside of the belt where the rivets are so it doesn't scratch my ab armor. Also glued snap plates on the inside of all my body armor pieces. Planning to make the connecting straps tomorrow and try it on.

424ada4a8323b7ced342284caa6a14db.jpg

cc677f846f923bf07c15654e0d721333.jpg

Also got my button plates painted and glued on to the ab. cd5672218cb863055c4d62326f74f1db.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeTrooper

Ok. Lots to update after a busy few evenings...I have to say that I'm getting more excited the more this thing comes together.

Did a lot of inside strapping work. Was also able to identify where I need to make a few adjustments. I need to replace the kidney rivets with longer ones (on the way from Joseph) so I can fit a washer under them. Also need to add a strap to hold the bottom of the kidney/ab together on both sides.

c7595dd3e731eaaeaabe9db85253945e.jpg

I also have the shoulder bridges clamped and drying on the chest.

Rivets line up, so that's a plus. I will be getting some acetone to make ABS paste to hide the shims soon.

49def3ee12c9abd82eae0f4fbc8ec956.jpg

Also installed the right side kidney snap. It's functional and I will use it to help close the clamshell. Will also add a strap toward the bottom and possibly middle on the right to hold it closed.

9aba14570a00fc8b96f518461f64de3a.jpg

Looks like I'll have no side gaps once the extra straps are added...yay!

Also added the cod rivet. Used a short split rivets to attach the inside snap as described in one of the ukswrath builds. Also dropped in a little E6000 to secure it a little more.

805f885862d6b378afaebd51e782834a.jpg3a2b3174548663694a9eb562a0b6eaef.jpg

Also finished the strapping system to hold the bells, biceps, and forearms together. Still need to do the bells-to-shoulder straps, but the snap inside the bell is in.

4aa89fbc4372ae0aa042522646ee4418.jpgb1303248fad032ae60ca48cb7befa391.jpg

Then I cut, measured, drilled, and attached the thigh ammo pack using double-cap rivets.

d592d0b9df4758d1eaed11218f98e757.jpgd90b44a8db0edb1389017a139f0a7911.jpg21e295a42468ae232c8500f07943ea21.jpg

Also forgot to upload pictures of the sniper knee I glued on a while ago, so viola.

7988f6c7669f97d96fb9e74453e08f81.jpg

d0fa00f585a9f50273b80b0b37a9a311.jpg

c9c73992fa97913614bed0d92767ed5d.jpg

So...things I still need to do off the top of my head.

1 - trim about 1/2" to 1" off the tops of my thighs

2 - install snaps to attach thighs to pencap garter system

3 - trim lense material in helmet for comfort

4 - install hearing assist system (velleman kit)

5 - purchase and install ukswrath mic tip system

6 - touch up helmet screws and any rivets with white paint

7 - install snaps on bottom of butt piece (holes marked, waiting on more snaps)

8 - install strap between cod and butt

9 - make padding adjustments in arms and legs for look/comfort

I'm sure there's a bunch more, but it's a good start on a to-do list moving forward! Definitely starting to look like a stormtrooper and not just a pile of plastic!

Edited by BuckeyeTrooper
  • Like 1

One more thing before bed. I know it's not required anymore, but I'd like to do the kidney notch. Does this look correct? Also, here's the guide I found for cutting it. Not going to cut until I know it's correct

ba06f6fceef7c248256032d6d2f99936.jpg

46d5fda4dcd6a5639b8495666d68b196.jpg

Decided to throw some of the armor together for the first time!

I think I'm going to need to open up the bells a bit so they'll allow my shoulders to go deeper into them (hot water bath?). The connecting strap is a good length, but because the bells are a little too narrow for my shoulders. They just pull the white shoulder elastic out from under the bridges.

Will definitely need to cut the half circles on the backs of the thighs.

Still need to make abs paste to cover the shim seams.

Need to adjust kidney/ab connection to make it all lay flat.

Also need to add the snaps on the ab to hold up the belt (that's why the holster wasn't on in the pics).

Starting to see a finish line, but lots of work still to do.

My shins are done, too, but didn't put them on for some reason.

c5e9b0b09683a8177710993124e7d452.jpg

28e7b9b411d5af10ce73a07aff5a15b8.jpg

f87173afe7fb1ed8f557aa543e91d1ea.jpg

One more thing before bed. I know it's not required anymore, but I'd like to do the kidney notch. Does this look correct? Also, here's the guide I found for cutting it. Not going to cut until I know it's correct

ba06f6fceef7c248256032d6d2f99936.jpg

46d5fda4dcd6a5639b8495666d68b196.jpg

Awesome build so far! Your armor looks amazing.

I did have a question, where did you find the guide/template for the plus sized armor shims? I tried locating it, but came up empty handed. I'm going to have to do the same to mine and want to see how to do it.

Awesome build so far! Your armor looks amazing.

I did have a question, where did you find the guide/template for the plus sized armor shims? I tried locating it, but came up empty handed. I'm going to have to do the same to mine and want to see how to do it.

Thanks for the compliment! I have seen that graphic floating around on FISD somewhere and just saved the picture months ago. I also saw it on one of the armor Facebook pages, WTF: Walt's Trooper Factory, I think. I just want to make sure its actually accurate before I make that cut!

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliment! I have seen that graphic floating around on FISD somewhere and just saved the picture months ago. I also saw it on one of the armor Facebook pages, WTF: Walt's Trooper Factory, I think. I just want to make sure its actually accurate before I make that cut!

Did you measure the gap on both sides to decide on the measurement of the shim?

Did you measure the gap on both sides to decide on the measurement of the shim?

Not with a ruler. I attached large shims to the kidney plate on either side then put the armor on and held it all together. Then I marked where the shims overlapped the ab plate and did score-snap to remove the excess. Maybe not the easiest way (I needed a helper), but that's how my mind works sometimes and it ended up working well for sizing.

Edited by BuckeyeTrooper

Not with a ruler. I attached large shims to the kidney plate on either side then put the armor on and held it all together. Then I marked where the shims overlapped the ab plate and did score-snap to remove the excess. Maybe not the easiest way (I needed a helper), but that's how my mind works sometimes and it ended up working well for sizing.

Do you have pictures of both shims in more detail? I see the one with the notch in question, but the other side is hard to see. Sorry for all the questions.

Do you have pictures of both shims in more detail? I see the one with the notch in question, but the other side is hard to see. Sorry for all the questions.

Ask as many as you'd like. So many people have helped and continue to help me, I'm happy to do the same. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll take some pictures for you.

Ask as many as you'd like. So many people have helped and continue to help me, I'm happy to do the same. As soon as I get home this evening, I'll take some pictures for you.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Just make sure it is backed up really well so no flexing cracks it. Looks good.

I went overboard on the shim support, about 90% of the seam is covered with abs shim supports! I was worried about the dried paste cracking. Saw some threads where that happened.

• Like 1