Jeff's HWT Build Thread

I just recently joined here and have been planning my build for a few weeks now. Since I just received my helmet from ATA I figured I should start a build thread.

I will update the first post with my overall progress along the way to have a reference point for where I am at.

Current Progress:

-More to come!

• Like 1

So to begin my build I will start with the only item I've acquired so far, the helmet! Upon opening the box from ATA I was very excited to see the quality of molding and the parts supplied. I should be starting on it this weekend.

DECAE178-5489-4ADC-BBC7-6BB6E98D7417_zps

I've been placed on the waiting list for the armor so I will continue to acquire some other things needed along the way. After the helmet build I plan to start building the HWT pack.

• 1 year later...

Its been a while since I last posted. Of course life happens and I had to postpone my armor. I made some progress on the helmet as of late and am back on the list for the rest of my armor with around a four month wait.

vlSuNIs.jpg?1

SxF0pho.jpg?1

j9cT71q.jpg?1

QftpAo5.jpg?1

My plan is to build everything to Centurion level so when the time comes I will be ready and not have to go back and fix things. Any critiques on the helmet so far would be appreciated! I am in the cadet academy with my local garrison as well to help me along with the build.

GREAT job on that ATA bucket, Jeff, and awesome to hear that you are aiming for HWT!  One thing I would suggest is to open up (define) the teeth a little more, (below are some screen used examples, photo 1).  I have found that the best way to achieve this is to use "needle files".  You can pick up a set at Lowe's for about 4 bucks, and they are well worth the investment:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-6-Piece-Needle-File-Set/4777067

SUPER nice job on the ear gaps and eye openings!

When you paint the hovi-mic tips, try not to paint the inside, and you can scuff up the outside of the rim so that white is showing as seen in the second photo, (also from a screen used bucket).

Photo 1                                                                                                                                                                                   Photo 2

J192ftc.jpg?2   d0ILAku.jpg?1

Also, notice that the tops of the ridges on the vocoder are pretty defined.  This can be easily achieved by picking up a "filbert" (flat with a rounded end) paint brush at Michael's or any art supply store.

SuCCZeT.jpg?1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, justjoseph63 said:

GREAT job on that ATA bucket, Jeff, and awesome to hear that you are aiming for HWT!  One thing I would suggest is to open up (define) the teeth a little more, (below are some screen used examples, photo 1).  I have found that the best way to achieve this is to use "needle files".  You can pick up a set at Lowe's for about 4 bucks, and they are well worth the investment:

If you're confident, you could do with an xacto knife too, but the file is more forgiving.  Remember, it's always easier to take material off than it is to put it back on.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, justjoseph63 said:

Agreed, I'm really impressed.  After seeing my own bucket and thinking I did a good job, I'm getting more and more critical of my own work seeing other people's buckets.

For small silver details (like the scuffing on the mic tips), I like using a silver metallic sharpie.  Works great, easy to handle and permanent.  I've been using them for years (all three metal colors) to add small details to model ships, but found the silver works perfectly here.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:16 PM, justjoseph63 said:

When you paint the hovi-mic tips, try not to paint the inside, and you can scuff up the outside of the rim so that white is showing as seen in the second photo, (also from a screen used bucket).

Thanks for the compliments! I had some small files already on hand and squared up the teeth more. I was very critical of my ear gaps at first but realized the screen accurate versions weren't perfect either!

4 hours ago, snub999 said:

If you're confident, you could do with an xacto knife too, but the file is more forgiving.  Remember, it's always easier to take material off than it is to put it back on.

Agreed, I'm really impressed.  After seeing my own bucket and thinking I did a good job, I'm getting more and more critical of my own work seeing other people's buckets.

For small silver details (like the scuffing on the mic tips), I like using a silver metallic sharpie.  Works great, easy to handle and permanent.  I've been using them for years (all three metal colors) to add small details to model ships, but found the silver works perfectly here.

Thank you! I've been overly critical on my bucket as well so I understand.

I was able to make some more progress on the bucket. I was originally going to use decals but the better side of me decided to just hand paint the details.

9SGyx9g.jpg?1

5cKPwu3.jpg?1

I need to pick up the rounded brush so I can paint the vocoder. I plan on getting that finished over the weekend.

I also was able to score a set of near-perfect TK Boots. I must say Im impressed by their customer service and all of the extras included!

Vph6g42.jpg?1

I did make a little more progress on the helmet.

Sn91iL8.jpg?1

wpwdUAm.jpg?1

I would like to add some fans and I still need to figure out a way to keep the helmet from moving on my head as much as it does.

I also ordered an orange pauldron from Katarra8 on eBay based off a build on here that made Centurion.