Gun Rack for Blasters with some modifications

T-Jay

Happy new year happy%20and%20cheerful%20birthday.gif , happy new project…

Since a while I am thinking about building a shelf to store my E-11 blasters and some smaller display pieces.
Drew various designs and finally decided for a wall-mountable rack with vertically stored blasters (muzzles on top and grips towards the wall).

31185365914_be05333ce2_b.jpg

Problem for resin builds: There is a risk to damage the thin ring holder at the end cap, if the weight of the blaster only rests on this. Thought about using a horizontal bar (blue pen in 3rd picture). But E-11s are top heavy and to prevent flipping over, it requires a stop (red pen). Unfortunately that would complicate moving the blaster…

31651430350_4a712ac120_b.jpg

Diagonal placement also did not help, but a 3rd contact point (black pen) did.
Repositioned the blaster to get some space for the smaller display pieces below it. Tried to give the shelf a bit of a Star Wars-look and changed the final design to this:

31987547006_b4c8d4d099_b.jpg

31216297033_b084b99d35_b.jpg

Could look nice with paint and some greeblies. Next update will show the build.
Thanks for stopping by  :)

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 5

Very Cool Tino! Looking forward to seeing this for sure. As Ian mentioned, wish I had enough blasters to display. All the designs look promising. Not sure if it is a nice way to display but I keep thinking about the rack of DLT-19 blasters against the wall in the Death Star scene where Luke and gang break into that communications room.

On 01/01/2017 at 9:57 PM, Sith Lord said:

Would be nice to have so many blasters to need this :)

Can't wait to see the final result. No pressure, but knowing you, I'm sure it will be a masterpiece!

Hey Ian, glad to have you on board  :)  I really do not expect this to become a masterpiece. Wanted to keep it simple, because it shall not distract from the blasters and accessories…

On 03/01/2017 at 3:01 AM, Bulldog44 said:

Very Cool Tino! Looking forward to seeing this for sure. As Ian mentioned, wish I had enough blasters to display. All the designs look promising. Not sure if it is a nice way to display but I keep thinking about the rack of DLT-19 blasters against the wall in the Death Star scene where Luke and gang break into that communications room.

Hello Brian, indeed I had checked some screenshots from that gun rack in the Death Star, while thinking about the final shape. Due to the design for long weapons (DLT-19), there was unfortunately nothing to incorporate into this build.

32142708606_08604be1f9_b.jpg

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 1

Update #01 - Woodworks

Went to my local DIY store, got wood-fiberboards (t = 16 mm) and a nice aluminum tube (OD = 25 mm).
In case there is any interest, I can provide exact dimensions and measurements at the end of the build…

32062580431_73063219f8_b.jpg
32180866305_5f42d40683_b.jpg
32062578371_c1a5fce567_b.jpg

The next 8 photos unfortunately have a strange color distortion because of the electric light in that room.

32032601812_1aef10600b_b.jpg
31370528233_5f40d1222c_b.jpg
32062575541_fe358e8260_b.jpg
32142700166_d8510008a3_b.jpg

The side panels looked a bit empty and boring, so I searched for an idea…

31339491494_457a04d747_b.jpg
32062573001_47e55b6d57_b.jpg
31339488434_7d560d38e3_b.jpg

Hope you like it so far. Please feel free to leave critics and comments.

• Like 10

Wow, Tino.... just WOW!  Not sure if you have chosen a color, but I would go with a dark(ish) shade of gray to highlight the black color of the blasters.  If you paint it black, they may "blend in" too much, and you want to showcase those babies!  To fill in that area behind the blasters on the back board perhaps you could add an Imperial cog decal and BLAS TEC decal in aurebesch.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

(...) I really do not expect this to become a masterpiece. (...)

what´s that lovely nickname you like to use? Millimeterf*beep*s? ;)

I guess that gene will strike again and it will become exactly that - another masterpiece. Starting with circuit board cut outs and stuff again is so typically you ;)

Now I have the incredible luck to have you living nearby which means I´ll definately see it in person sooner or later and I can´t wait *.*

Edited by Memory
  • Like 1

Just throwing this out there, but maybe a "charging rack" for power cylinders on the bottom shelf with some blue LED lights in it?  I totally plan on building one of these (much to my wife's chagrin).

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there, but maybe a "charging rack" for power cylinders on the bottom shelf with some blue LED lights in it? I totally plan on building one of these (much to my wife's chagrin).

Same here, kids will love it (wife won't ) and for the BFGs I'm going to build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a bad man Tino

A genius bad man. Showing us mere one blaster owners that we do not have enough blasters.

I have just about convinced my wife that I should have my E-11 on a display stand and now I have to build one of these racks and then fill it with new blasters.

I think I may be in trouble

• Like 2

Can one ever have enough fire power?  Looks as if I am going to be forced to purchase yet another Doopydoos E-11 kit and one of your finishing kits to fill up my future rack.  You are a scoundrel for designing this, Tino, but hopefully just seeing it will keep the Rebels at bay.  :D

• Like 1

I thought about another Doopy but I'm going to wait till Dday has kits available and build one of them with extras of course. Also liking what Fieldmarshall is doing right now so will wait with baited breath for what he has to offer.

Can one ever have enough fire power?

Sure you can.  ;)

If you have several dozens of blasters in all sizes, but no place to display them. Then you store them all (made from real parts) in boxes in the basement.  :huh:

That´s why i as a blasterguy started making Lightsaber .... easier to display.

Wow guys, I am surprised to see how many replies this build got. Will try to comment every one.

On 08/01/2017 at 11:42 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Wow, Tino.... just WOW!  Not sure if you have chosen a color, but I would go with a dark(ish) shade of gray to highlight the black color of the blasters.  If you paint it black, they may "blend in" too much, and you want to showcase those babies!  To fill in that area behind the blasters on the back board perhaps you could add an Imperial cog decal and BLAS TEC decal in aurebesch.  Can't wait to see the finished product!

Hi Joseph, I second your words about the dark grey color and had exactly the same thought. Black blasters in a black gun rack does not work. An imperial cog? Believe it or not, I already have one here and might add that later (not sure yet).

On 08/01/2017 at 12:42 PM, Sith Lord said:

I think I'm right, saying this will be a masterpiece.....

Okay, okay my friend. Call it what you want. :D But this rack is simple, compared to the things you have built (you know what I mean)

On 08/01/2017 at 1:07 PM, Memory said:

what´s that lovely nickname you like to use? Millimeterf*beep*s? ;)

I guess that gene will strike again and it will become exactly that - another masterpiece. Starting with circuit board cut outs and stuff again is so typically you ;)

Now I have the incredible luck to have you living nearby which means I´ll definately see it in person sooner or later and I can´t wait *.*

Hi Alex. Yes, you will definitely see it in person. Looking forward to our next meeting…

On 08/01/2017 at 11:17 PM, CTID said:

Lovely work!

Marc

Thanks Marc. Best regards to Manchester. 

On 09/01/2017 at 9:37 PM, Daetrin said:

Nice! I like this better than the usual way - looks more military.

Hi Paul, thanks for chiming in. Not sure what “the usual way” is, but for the side panels I had asked myself, how the prop makers might design such a thing for a movie…

On 09/01/2017 at 10:55 PM, justjoseph63 said:

Just throwing this out there, but maybe a "charging rack" for power cylinders on the bottom shelf with some blue LED lights in it?  I totally plan on building one of these (much to my wife's chagrin).

We seem to have the same taste, Joseph. For a possible update in the future, I already thought about battery-powered LEDs for each blaster slot. The LEDs could light up when the blasters are inserted, to indicate the charging process.

We’ll see if that ever happens…

On 09/01/2017 at 11:42 PM, Bulldog44 said:

Awesome! Love the circut board detail.

Thanks Brian. Was lucky enough to find electrical devices with suitable circuit boards. When working on something new, I always run around with that project in mind. Sometimes it helps…

On 10/01/2017 at 12:06 AM, odysseus27766 said:

Same here, kids will love it (wife won't ) and for the BFGs I'm going to build

Thanks, Chad  :salute:  Indeed it can be challenging to integrate such a thing into a living space. Haven't figured this out for me yet...

On 10/01/2017 at 12:13 AM, Bri_McD135 said:

You are a bad man Tino
A genius bad man. Showing us mere one blaster owners that we do not have enough blasters.
I have just about convinced my wife that I should have my E-11 on a display stand and now I have to build one of these racks and then fill it with new blasters.

I think I may be in trouble

To be honest, I could think of enough different E-11 to fill another rack (or even two). ANH, ESB, ROTJ, Bapty, Rogue 1, deac. Sterling and so on… :rolleyes:

On 10/01/2017 at 12:38 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Can one ever have enough fire power?  Looks as if I am going to be forced to purchase yet another Doopydoos E-11 kit and one of your finishing kits to fill up my future rack.  You are a scoundrel for designing this, Tino, but hopefully just seeing it will keep the Rebels at bay.  :D

Well, I am looking forward to your (and other people’s) gun rack build threads...

On 10/01/2017 at 7:48 PM, Bri_McD135 said:

I thought about another Doopy but I'm going to wait till Dday has kits available and build one of them with extras of course. Also liking what Fieldmarshall is doing right now so will wait with baited breath for what he has to offer.

Yep, the kit from Dday is a very good one and I am also waiting for what Chris (Fieldmarshall) will offer hopefully soon. Can’t wait…

On 10/01/2017 at 11:39 PM, Lichtbringer said:

Sure you can.  ;)

If you have several dozens of blasters in all sizes, but no place to display them. Then you store them all (made from real parts) in boxes in the basement.  :huh:

That´s why i as a blasterguy started making Lightsaber .... easier to display.

Maybe this here inspires you to build a rack for your blasters, so you can save them from the boxes in the basement...

On 11/01/2017 at 2:42 AM, Kacrut said:

UberGunRack!... solid 5stars build.

Thanks Louis. At the end of the day its just wood, screws and paint. Wondering what a concept artist would turn this idea into...

On 11/01/2017 at 7:03 AM, Sith Lord said:

I believe this is a picture Tino's living room in his house

LEID_SmartRail_Gun_Racks_sm_zps4mmohrk4.

Naa, that's just the bedroom  ;)

Currently I am working on the next update and it looks like I have it ready on Sunday. Stay tuned...

Edited by T-Jay

Update #02      - Painting, assembling & weathering

As the blasters are black, I looked for a dark grey color and ended up with graphite-grey, RAL 7024.

31516470043_1661fe48e8_b.jpg
31485027934_0a0e9e2373_b.jpg
32177088412_6a92d4af03_b.jpg
31516466133_00f5b71a5a_b.jpg
31950154950_f35c568154_b.jpg
32327035635_e9f043d23e_b.jpg
32177082772_6c85a86085_b.jpg
31485016574_64de30aa44_b.jpg

Hm, if painted in black or grey, this could look interesting. But I soon skipped the idea, because this rack is not symmetrical.

When the blasters are inserted, the cog emphasizes that fact. And most of the time, the blasters will be there. Well, sometimes less is more…

32177079462_21a9959c31_b.jpg

Next update will probably be the last one and shows the rack equipped with blasters and accessories. Still waiting for sunny daylight to take final pictures, but currently we only have cloudy winter days over here…

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 7

Looking fantastic!

When the blasters are inserted, the cog emphasizes that fact. And most of the time, the blasters will be there. Well, sometimes less is more…

I totally agree with you on this ^^. Too often we can ruin something great by having too many details. Great job! :)

Edited by T K