My First Build - ANH Stunt

I was going to wait until my BBB Day (Armor is from Authentic Props) before I started my build thread, but I couldn't resist (after all "It is pointless to resist").

But I shall not be idle while I wait. I have already ordered my Neck Seal from Veedox and Strapping Brackets from Mr. No Stripes. 

And started looking at the E-11 Blaster (Which I'm having some trouble with, If anyone knows what the go is with importing it to Australia? Can it be whole or does it need to be a conversion like doopeys? I've been researching, but still need sure about it)

Next I plan to look at boots, the undersuit.

Eagerly awaiting my time to be a part of the Emipre and the 501st.

Edited by Bloodhound

Welcome, Josh!  While I am not sure about importing an entire weapon (prop or regular) to Australia, I am sure that the Doopydoos kit would be fine.  However, I would advise ordering it as soon as possible.  Delivery to the states runs between 6 to 8 weeks, and it could be even more to AU.  Depending on when your armor kit is supposed to arrive, that could give you something to work on while you hurry-up-and-wait for it.

I would also think about getting everything ready and in place for your build for when your kit arrives.  I have a thread (Supply List for your TK Build) that may help, and there is a link under the large avatar below.  Best of luck, and we are looking forward to your build thread!

Welcome, Josh! While I am not sure about importing an entire weapon (prop or regular) to Australia, I am sure that the Doopydoos kit would be fine. However, I would advise ordering it as soon as possible. Delivery to the states runs between 6 to 8 weeks, and it could be even more to AU. Depending on when your armor kit is supposed to arrive, that could give you something to work on while you hurry-up-and-wait for it.

I would also think about getting everything ready and in place for your build for when your kit arrives. I have a thread (Supply List for your TK Build) that may help, and there is a link under the large avatar below. Best of luck, and we are looking forward to your build thread!

Thanks for the advice, turns out that I already have your supply list bookmarked ready to start finding the parts as I go.

During your research, don't forget to check out the Advanced Tactics section.  This will show you just how far you can take your armor toward screen accuracy without too much extra effort.

• Like 1

What do people think of Zap-a-gap glue and Zip kicker Vs E6000 glue?  From what I've seen of the Zap-a-gap it works really well and doesn't need a long time for it to set with the Zip kicker. Also just as a planning point, do people recommend having a joining strip on the inside?

I was going to wait until my BBB Day (Armor is from Authentic Props) before I started my build thread, but I couldn't resist (after all "It is pointless to resist").

But I shall not be idle while I wait. I have already ordered my Neck Seal from Veedox and Strapping Brackets from Mr. No Stripes.

And started looking at the E-11 Blaster (Which I'm having some trouble with, If anyone knows what the go is with importing it to Australia? Can it be whole or does it need to be a conversion like droopys? I've been researching, but still need sure about it)

Next I plan to look at boots, the undersuit.

Eagerly awaiting my time to be a part of the Emipre and the 501st.

I am thinking of getting my armor Fri. authentic props. How long was the wait time??

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am thinking of getting my armor Fri. authentic props. How long was the wait time??

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

3-6 weeks for me as I recall, wasn't too bad considering it was out of country for me.

• Like 1

Use the e6000 glue... It's super strong but you can still take it apart.. With the CA(super) glue... Once it's together it's never coming apart... Makes for headaches when you mess up!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

What do people think of Zap-a-gap glue and Zip kicker Vs E6000 glue?  From what I've seen of the Zap-a-gap it works really well and doesn't need a long time for it to set with the Zip kicker. Also just as a planning point, do people recommend having a joining strip on the inside?

For a first time builder (and even some of us with experience), E6000 is MUCH preferred. Yes, it takes longer to set, but it is forgiving of mistakes. Slow steady pressure will let you pull pieces apart if necessary, and cleanup of glue that "leaks out" from joints is pretty easy.

Zap A Gap is permanent. Not recommended at this point.

As for inner strips, I use them to help make sure that things are solid. They are not necessary, but I like the extra reinforcement - especially for the shins, where there will be a lot of flexing as you take them on and off. 

• Like 1

Not a huge update so far, but to a thanks to all those that have helped.

My Doopey's blaster has been dispatched and is on its way.

Also my Fan Bracket from Sly11 has arrived and looks great.

Got a nice amount of supplies today from Spotlight and Bunnings.

Spotlight:

Elastic - Black 25mm x 2m

- White 25mm x 1m

- White 50mm x 2m

E6000 (5 tubes...may have taken the stores entire shelved stock :D)

Cutting mat (cause my table is slated)

Black Nylon - 25mm x 2m

Velcro - White 25mm x 1m

- Black 50mm x 1m

Bunnings:

Ryobi Rotary Tool (115W, 115 piece)

Respirator masks

Sandpaper (3M Sandblaster 220Grit)

File (Hart, Half-round, 250mm 2nd Cut)

Mini File Set (Trojan, 10 piece)

Rivet Gun Set (Craftright)

Retractable Knife (Craftright w/ 3 blades)

Edited by Bloodhound
  • Like 1

Just another small update.

Almost have all my supplies gathered or ordered now. 

Yesterday and this morning was spent gathering

- Clamps (4 large and 8 small)

- Painters tape (1 and 2 inch widths)

- Black Plastidip

- Black rubber gloves (Ansell, with textured palm and fingertips)

- Cotton gloves (to go underneath Black gloves)

My neck seal from Veedox arrived today, and I'm very happy with the feel, look and quality of it.

Also found and purchased the necessary Humbrol paints and some fine detailing paintbrushes.

The rest of my undersuit has been purchased and will soon be another thing ticked on the list.

post-22217-0-45422900-1484552776_thumb.jpg

post-22217-0-43304300-1484552782_thumb.jpg

Are you using Photobucket?  You can edit them for image size, crop them, etc. right there before posting.  Nothing wrong with large images, though.  Sometimes the details help!

Looks like you are well on your way to getting all your supplies in order, which will save you a TON of grief, trust me.  Nothing worse than being in the middle of a build and have to stop and go to the store or order something.  Also, VERY glad you decided to go with the E-6000.  I have seen many, many instances on here where pieces have been ruined by super glue mishaps.

Looks as if you haven't got the rare earth magnets yet.  I recommend getting at least 10 of the round ones that are 3mm thick (no less) and 2 cm wide.  Be sure to wrap each one with blue painter's tape, as they can scratch your armor when removing them, (sliding them off works best, as these things are CRAZY strong).

Are you using Photobucket?  You can edit them for image size, crop them, etc. right there before posting.  Nothing wrong with large images, though.  Sometimes the details help!

Looks like you are well on your way to getting all your supplies in order, which will save you a TON of grief, trust me.  Nothing worse than being in the middle of a build and have to stop and go to the store or order something.  Also, VERY glad you decided to go with the E-6000.  I have seen many, many instances on here where pieces have been ruined by super glue mishaps.

Looks as if you haven't got the rare earth magnets yet.  I recommend getting at least 10 of the round ones that are 3mm thick (no less) and 2 cm wide.  Be sure to wrap each one with blue painter's tape, as they can scratch your armor when removing them, (sliding them off works best, as these things are CRAZY strong).

I wasn't using photobucket, I just placed them straight in. Large pictures do show more detail which will more than likely be beneficial later on.

Yeah, I took all the advice on board and raided Spotlights entire shelved stock for their E6000 (which is the clear version).

I have 20 of the rare earth magnets coming in the mail, so hopefully they aren't causing anyone to much grief as the come.

• Like 1

Some pictures of what I have done so far with my Doopy's E-11 build.

I have filled and sanded down the trigger and guard so that they both fit in place.

20170117_175111_zpsv7wkxfew.jpg

The trigger guard is only sitting in place, but the trigger is pinned and glued in. The trigger has a pen spring behind it so that it can be moved.
20170117_175123_zpsmcpgkjep.jpg

The first lot of gluing was the Butt cap and D-ring. The mount for the ring had to be carved out a bit more to allow the ring to have a small amount of movement.

20170119_144510_zpsktf7ippj.jpg

My next step will be to mount the grip to the receiver, which I already have a rough idea on how I'm going to do that.
I will be getting CT Mac's spare magazine replacement (from Gazmosis). He has also kindly offered to make the modification to the magazine housing, as I am nowhere
near confident in my ability at this stage to make such a fine modification.

On another note, My order from Trooperbay has arrived. Which contained 'S' neck trim, Dark green lens material, Split rivets and Chicago screws.
  • Like 2

This morning was rather productive. I have attached the grip to the receiver and the selector switch to the grip.

To do this I used a screw and 2 pins from pop rivets. The pins are toward the rear of the grip about 2-3cm apart with the screw at the front going all the way though the grip.

(The trigger guard will cover the top of the screw hiding it from site.)  The pins/screw then got marked out on the receiver with a pencil and centred on the body.

From there I drilled out the holes using a rotary tool. After that I was just a case of making sure that the parts sat as flush as possible, then giving it a light sand and glue into place. 

20170121_115631_zps6y2jaegw.jpg

20170121_115639_zpszpp8yssr.jpg

None of my clamps would grip to the surface due to the roundness of it, but I had a trusty zip-tie and masking tape nearby to do the job for me.  

20170121_122449_zpsuqhmwmk5.jpg

The selector switch is held in by another small screw that is drilled into the receiver and switch then glued into place.

20170121_122453_zps54r8jmfp.jpg

• Like 2

Just another small update.

Almost have all my supplies gathered or ordered now.

Yesterday and this morning was spent gathering

- Clamps (4 large and 8 small)

- Painters tape (1 and 2 inch widths)

- Black Plastidip

- Black rubber gloves (Ansell, with textured palm and fingertips)

- Cotton gloves (to go underneath Black gloves)

A few other supplies that I've needed are:

sand paper in various grits. I bought a pack ranging from 120 grit up to 4000 grit.

Small glass jar and acetone to make ABS paste. Good for patching junkets areas.

A snap setting kit. A leather punch for making holes in cloth such as the elastic strips and your belt.

Metal ruler or cutting edge.

Fabric tape measure. For measuring circumference and along curved shapes.

there are also various tools I've had to use, pliers, hammer, etc. Usually for installing connection brackets and straps or rivets.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A few other supplies that I've needed are:

sand paper in various grits. I bought a pack ranging from 120 grit up to 4000 grit.

Small glass jar and acetone to make ABS paste. Good for patching junkets areas.

A snap setting kit. A leather punch for making holes in cloth such as the elastic strips and your belt.

Metal ruler or cutting edge.

Fabric tape measure. For measuring circumference and along curved shapes.

there are also various tools I've had to use, pliers, hammer, etc. Usually for installing connection brackets and straps or rivets.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips. Most of it I've gathered and others I'm waiting on to arrive, but that said I had forgotten about the acetone.