TIP: NOTE ON HWT PACK SPECS:

justjoseph63

First, it is GREAT to see all the new HWTs coming on board!  This costume provides you the option of trooping as two different characters, as you can remove the extra accessories and clean up your armor to troop as a shiny white TK when needed.  However,  there needs to be some continuity among us.  

As with any costume here, there are certain guidelines that need to be followed, which is why we have the CRLs in place.  The HWT pack used for this costume is based on the original Star Wars Battlefront game, and as such the details need to follow those seen there.

We realize that not everyone has access to all the parts that are listed in the most popular pack build threads, but those items can be sourced from different places and still meet the requirements,

In order to keep everyone on the same page, I have asked Sean (TK 77019) to draw up some diagrams for me with measurements agreed upon with Tony (ukswrath), who is a fellow DO, as well as the maker of the pack build that most of us followed.

As there are no precise screen caps available, these measurements are to assist you as a general guide, and you will be allowed a certain  amount of leeway to get you as close as possible to the "original", and if followed, will be acceptable to EIB and Centurion levels.  Please note the absence of extra greeblies, lights, etc (Please see notes at bottom of post).

wzAlxNR.jpg?1

bTBnuwK.jpg?1  

zH3tqeA.jpg?1

BAtg9hV.jpg?1

PLEASE NOTE:

The antenna is shown on the above pack, but is NO LONGER PERMITTED, even for basic approval.

The thickness of the pack base can run from 3.5 inches (shown) to 6 inches.

• Like 9

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but I see a lot of builders going for the larger (deep) oil pans when it should be maybe half the width or at least the same width or thinner than the radio. Again it's not a deal breaker but worth noting none the less. 

pcsx22011-04-1211-54-58-73-crop.jpg

• Like 2

I went with the thicker oil pan because I liked the look, then I found an added benefit; I can store all my HWT accessories inside it for transport!

The downside is that it gets heavy after a few hours.

3F1CE2C9-320E-4970-8819-642C7F087248.thumb.jpg.028ac806f8ff343c2b54fc7993636f7b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated
  • Like 1

That's a great diagram! That's gonna help a lot of people. I would just add Tony's comment on size of oil pan preferences with an asterisk.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love this! Accuracy makes me happy. :)

One question though, if we are all striving for accuracy for the pack, I know a lot of y'all love them, but the antenna? That has always puzzled me why that has been included in so many packs. I have never seen an antenna in any of the comics or, where this trooper is based off of, the original Battlefront games.

If there had meant to be an antenna I am sure that it would have been incorporated into the model. Just my 2¢.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6484-screen-caps-post-em-if-you-got-em-boys/

I went with the thicker oil pan because I liked the look, then I found an added benefit; I can store all my HWT accessories inside it for transport!

The downside is that it gets heavy after a few hours.

No problem Shea, looks good. 

• Like 1

I love this! Accuracy makes me happy. :)

One question though, if we are all striving for accuracy for the pack, I know a lot of y'all love them, but the antenna? That has always puzzled me why that has been included in so many packs. I have never seen an antenna in any of the comics or, where this trooper is based off of, the original Battlefront games.

If there had meant to be an antenna I am sure that it would have been incorporated into the model. Just my 2¢.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6484-screen-caps-post-em-if-you-got-em-boys/

Thanks for mentioning it. it's because the first couple HWTs approved had antennas and were oked, myself included. The HWT was very low key at that time (similar to when FX armor was king), but now that it's in the spotlight it's time to refine a few areas. The antenna will be phased out of the CRL eventually. Until then there will be either/or option, especially for those that have already built them with antennas, and going through approvals.

To all future builders, I suggest you drop the antenna.    

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed diagrams.  I particularly like the notes like ' May be up to 8" tall ' - I think that will help answer many questions.  I just finished cutting out all of my faceplates, etc., so hopefully what I've done will be in the ballpark.  I'll document the differences in my build thread in case they are of help down the road with regard to adding more tolerance suggestions.

First and foremost, I am glad we are doing this.  It will make life a lot easier and reduce some of the confusion on a few of the elements of the HWT pack.

However, as a builder of these packs, I need to make sure I have a few things straight, expecially since I am currently building 5 HWT packs.  I will need to update all of my sales sites and make sure I build the correct version.  Also, does this affect the ones I am currently building?

1. Antenna - the diagram shows it.  Some on this thread say no and yes.  I am personally for it.  However, I will go with whatever the decision is.  If I go with the current diagram, then then antenna is allowed.  I just ordered 4 more antenna's and would hate to lose my money on them.  Please clarify.
  2. Base thickness - my standard HWT pack is the normal base (one shown in diagram) and that is the base I use.  I do offer the option of the thicker base.  Will a pack be approved with a thicker base?  I am currently building some with this base.  After, I have no problem not having the option, just would hate to lose money on these.

I am excited that we have a standard.  I just need to make sure I am clear on things, so I do not falsely advertise. 

Thank you.

Edited by CrookKnight
  • Like 2

The CRL shows a pack with an antenna. Until that changes, and it could be a while, antennas are a go. Even if the CRL changes packs already built with the antenna will be excepted, or grandfathered in.

Base size, or the exact size of anything else on the pack is subject to a guesstimate. Joseph has done an excellent job provided a guideline so that when building people stay within a general rule. TK armor sizes change, some ever so slightly between builders. We don't pull out the ruler during those approvals, it's no different here  ;)

• Like 1

The CRL shows a pack with an antenna. Until that changes, and it could be a while, antennas are a go. Even if the CRL changes packs already built with the antenna will be excepted, or grandfathered in.

Base size, or the exact size of anything else on the pack is subject to a guesstimate. Joseph has done an excellent job provided a guideline so that when building people stay within a general rule. TK armor sizes change, some ever so slightly between builders. We don't pull out the ruler during those approvals, it's no different here  ;)

Thank you for the response.  This clarifies things for me.

:jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

I have finally had a chance to really review everything, as a result, I have 2 more questions.

1.  Upper left box:  The original picture in the CRL shows 4 screws (or pop rivets) at the corners of the box.  The picture on this thread does not show any.  I currently put these on all HWT packs I build.  Is this going away or will it be added to the updated CRL pack picture?

2. Same thing for the bottom right box.

Thank you.  I am building 6 of these right now, so I want to make sure I am good with the future requirements, also.

I have finally had a chance to really review everything, as a result, I have 2 more questions.

1.  Upper left box:  The original picture in the CRL shows 4 screws (or pop rivets) at the corners of the box.  The picture on this thread does not show any.  I currently put these on all HWT packs I build.  Is this going away or will it be added to the updated CRL pack picture?

Thank you.  I am building 6 of these right now, so I want to make sure I am good with the future requirements, also.

The screws are present on the bottom right box in the diagram, they are just dark black and tough to make out. I probably should've made them stand out more... And looking at Tony's build, you are correct about the top left box, I should've included screws around the corners there as well. I can send Joseph an updated version to correct this  

Edited by count chocula

It's very difficult to tell if there indeed are screws or not judging by the game stills. I always assumed there were so mine has them. Until further notice I say with or without will be excepted, though I think they look better with.

I have checked the measures you have published today, are mandatory or orientative for basic high in 501st ?. I am already in the stage of painting the backpack, and it would be a disorder to have to modify everything manufactured. Thanks.

I have checked the measures you have published today, are mandatory or orientative for basic high in 501st ?. I am already in the stage of painting the backpack, and it would be a disorder to have to modify everything manufactured. Thanks.

Specific measurements are not mandatory, they're a guideline. 

• Like 2

The screws are present on the bottom right box in the diagram, they are just dark black and tough to make out. I probably should've made them stand out more... And looking at Tony's build, you are correct about the top left box, I should've included screws around the corners there as well. I can send Joseph an updated version to correct this

BTW, great job on the drawings and guidelines. I am finishing up 3 HWT packs right now that will match exactly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Antennas are a no go then?  I'll leave ours off.

Where did they originate from?  Just a "Hey this would look kinda cool to plug the oil screw hole"? or something more?