Tk/Uk armor is it a rippoff

I'm 6'0" and 210 lbs.

I have the AM 2.0 and absolutely love it!

As far as size, I didn't trim any heights of any pieces and it's almost a bit long/tall. I just barely fit with my height. At my weight I didn't add any side sims at all in the waist and they lined up perfectly.

I've seen bigger guys than me in it and it's fine, although maybe not anyone as heavy as you. I would think it would work fine.

I have been considering getting a new set of armor, I'm about the same size 6'1 and around 200lbs. I hear that AM and RT_mod are good kits for taller troopers and want one to fit me better than the anovos I have. A member in my squad has an AM kit and it about my height and it looks really good. Starting to lean that way for my next kit

• Like 1

I have been considering getting a new set of armor, I'm about the same size 6'1 and around 200lbs. I hear that AM and RT_mod are good kits for taller troopers and want one to fit me better than the anovos I have. A member in my squad has an AM kit and it about my height and it looks really good. Starting to lean that way for my next kit

I have an AM kit that I use exclusively for my HWT, and I must say that it is pretty heavy-duty and I have had no problems at all with cracking or splitting even after countless troops.  

• Like 2

I'm 6'0" and 210 lbs.

I have the AM 2.0 and absolutely love it!

As far as size, I didn't trim any heights of any pieces and it's almost a bit long/tall. I just barely fit with my height. At my weight I didn't add any side sims at all in the waist and they lined up perfectly.

I've seen bigger guys than me in it and it's fine, although maybe not anyone as heavy as you. I would think it would work fine.

I can concur with Shea... same height and weight and the am 2.0 fits me like a glove. During my build I did trim various areas to mimic the camera TKs. Although, this kit is not the most accurate when I'm trooping next to TM and AP armor and there have been claims of recast, earlier versions not being approved, etc. For the larger armor, budget price, and quick ship you can't go wrong with the AM 2.0.

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 1

Is the am 2.0 501st approved

The term "501st approved" is a marketing gimmick. There is NO KIT that will get you automatic 501st approval - not even an RS or TM - if it's not built correctly and properly sized to the wearer. At the other end of the spectrum, I've seen some of the worst kit out there (Rubies Supreme and JediRobe) that in the hands of a skilled builder were not only approved, but in one case taken all the way to Expert Infantry.

The better question to ask is if the AM 2.0 501st approvable? Answer - ABSOLUTELY YES. You can go all the way to Centurion with it, and there are a number of people here who have done exactly that - take some time to peruse both the build threads and the EI/Centurion submission threads. Furthermore, it seems to get better with every iteration, the plastic used is thick and tough, and the seller has a good reputation for customer service.

And as others have said, out of all the kits out there it's probably the easiest kit to adapt to guys who are north of 6' 200lbs.

• Like 2

I have an AM kit that I use exclusively for my HWT, and I must say that it is pretty heavy-duty and I have had no problems at all with cracking or splitting even after countless troops.  

Heavy duty indeed. The suit is rock solid. Just as good as TM in terms of quality and fit in finish capped abs. The fact that it comes 90% trimmed is nice too.

Heavy duty indeed. The suit is rock solid. Just as good as TM in terms of quality and fit in finish capped abs. The fact that it comes 90% trimmed is nice too.

Saved me a ton of work!

to reiterate what others say, AM armor is a great quality kit and made to fit the larger trooper. The vendor lives in texas and I believe costs around $750 with shipping. There are plenty in my garrison who where his armor and quite frankly, I am jealous of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been a couple of instances in this thread where it has been mentioned that I may be confusing two vendors. 

For the record.  I am not confusing them.  

As I had mentioned, the names of people, and the servers used to host the websites for both of them all seem to intertwine somewhere if you go digging around the internet.  It is not that I am saying that they are exactly the same people, as much as I am saying that we can't find clear proof that the people and vendors being brought into the discussion/questions are not the same people or that they are not somehow connected.  

Simple case of buyer beware when these are the vendors in the picture.  That's all.

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to purchase from them, we will do whatever we can to assist you in earning Legion approval with the armor, because that is what we do here, but we do try to support the armor makers - without preferential treatment to any of them - who have proven time and again, with established track records of being talented, honest, and good business partners with our prospective members over the years.  As part of that, we do discourage purchasing from armor makers who cannot without question establish the origin of their molds, or who engage in questionable business practices.

So I have bought a kit from them without knowing the story behind, does it mean that I can still get at least a basic Legion approval with proper assembly? The kit that I got is their new 'improved' version, not like the old fx-style armor.

• Like 1

So I have bought a kit from them without knowing the story behind, does it mean that I can still get at least a basic Legion approval with proper assembly? The kit that I got is their new 'improved' version, not like the old fx-style armor.

That should be the case, but the best way to know is for you to post photos of your kit.

• Like 1

Just as Brian said above so long as the kit, when assembled properly, meets the CRL standards and is accurate enough in appearance, you should indeed be able to.  

However, since we have never seen the kit before, it is still an unknown for us.  Post a lot of photos in a build thread please.  :D  

We will do what we can, as a community, to help you along the way.

• Like 1

I see a few issues with the kit, for instance, the molded-in center ab button box and lack of a 4-button vertical strip really stand out to me. But overall it's not horrible. With some fixes and a few obviously missing items such as a correct holster and boots it should pass basic approval so long as it's built and fitted correctly.

Can you post a close-up photo of the abdominal armor?

You will definitely need to either add a separate 4-button strip. Fortunately they are easy to make with a bit of scrap plastic and a disc-shaped object such as a disc magnet of the correct size. Also, in the full body photos it looked like you were missing the top ab button on the center ab button plate. But I can't tell from your latest photos because your chest plate covers it up.

• 2 weeks later...

In 6 weeks I have sent out 150 of these armour kits.

Some have arrived, some are on their way and some are currently stuck in customs.

So I guess in the very near future 150 people can speak out to answer the question in the title of this thread. TKUK armour is it a rip off?

I will hold back until all armour kits have been received and any missing or broken parts issues have been resolved, I'm not perfect and nor is the postal service.

Like I have mentioned before, here I am and you are free to chat to me if you wish. I have done most of the comiccons in the UK as a exhibitor so you are free to walk up to me and talk to me and have a look at the armour I am making.

I am not hiding behind the internet wall.

Most of the bigger garrisons know me by sight and by name. Many of the GML's and CO's of garrisons around the world have shared a nights drinking with me, and many of the garrisons have had a stand next to me at comiccons around the world. And many of you have that to come!

Many of the people that have taken my armour kits will look to this forum for guidance and help. Just as I do. Please offer them constructive assistance as many of them are very new to this. And please offer me constructive assistance as you are far more experienced than I am and I want to hear how I can improve and make life easier for the many people that will be wearing my armour.

In the process of clearing my backlog of 75 boxes to send out, I think I really annoyed local couriers. Then being invited into customs to explain what and why I am sending so many big boxes and why aren't they getting a cut of it, was certainly an interesting experience! But now that is past I know how to better handle it in the future!

Now I have a little more free time to respond to any questions anyone may have. And I guess we will start to see lots of build threads as well!

• Like 3

I've had my kit about a week.  Thus far I'm very happy with it.  Not sure what the issues were with the ab buttons as mine wasn't missing any.  I came here first and did a LOT of reading.  I went to just about every vendor site and asked tons of questions to the suppliers.  I based my decision on the fact that I would have to be building my armor from a kit and NO kit is automatically approved by the 50st.  It all comes down to the individual build.  I think too many people have the misconception that you open a box, put on the armor and you're done.  I've been through this with people in the R2D2 Astromech club and BB8 builders club.  They think 3D printing is perfect and they shouldn't have to do any additional work.  You have got to put for the effort.  I think this kit will be just fine IF it's built right and the CRLs are followed. 

I talked to several 501st full members and one of them order this same kit.  Since he's built one in the past I'm waiting to hear his thoughts on it when he receives it but after spending hours talking to the guy I don't think he'd waste his money on junk armor and seems very knowledgeable. 

As far as vendors go, David has been professional and answered any question I've had.  And from what I've heard personally from others who have ordered from David, any issues with their kits (missing or damaged parts) he's made it right with them.  Anyone who is curious about these kits is more than welcome to check out my build thread folder on my Facebook page.  I'll leave that folder open to the public so anyone can view it.  Any questions please feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Anyone who is curious about these kits is more than welcome to check out my build thread folder on my Facebook page.  I'll leave that folder open to the public so anyone can view it.  Any questions please feel free to ask.

How about posting your build here on FISD, many of us don't use FB and it would help others looking at purchasing the kit. Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

Some have arrived, some are on their way and some are currently stuck in customs.

So I guess in the very near future 150 people can speak out to answer the question in the title of this thread. TKUK armour is it a rip off?

I will hold back until all armour kits have been received and any missing or broken parts issues have been resolved, I'm not perfect and nor is the postal service.

Like I have mentioned before, here I am and you are free to chat to me if you wish. I have done most of the comiccons in the UK as a exhibitor so you are free to walk up to me and talk to me and have a look at the armour I am making.

Most of the bigger garrisons know me by sight and by name. Many of the GML's and CO's of garrisons around the world have shared a nights drinking with me, and many of the garrisons have had a stand next to me at comiccons around the world. And many of you have that to come!

Many of the people that have taken my armour kits will look to this forum for guidance and help. Just as I do. Please offer them constructive assistance as many of them are very new to this. And please offer me constructive assistance as you are far more experienced than I am and I want to hear how I can improve and make life easier for the many people that will be wearing my armour.

In the process of clearing my backlog of 75 boxes to send out, I think I really annoyed local couriers. Then being invited into customs to explain what and why I am sending so many big boxes and why aren't they getting a cut of it, was certainly an interesting experience! But now that is past I know how to better handle it in the future!

Now I have a little more free time to respond to any questions anyone may have. And I guess we will start to see lots of build threads as well!

See you when you come to Seattle. We are getting larger every day. :)

• Like 2

Hi David! First of all I would like to give you kudos for coming on this board to directly represent yourself and your armor. I have a potential applicant who has purchased one of your kits. I have yet to receive detailed pictures so I think there's still some question about what the final mold actually looks like.

I would like to see you post some pics of your latest mold, including a completed helmet. While I appreciate your direct contact, I question why you aren't providing more direct information about this kit (specifically the lineage) and just as important, high res pictures of this newest kit.

It seems to me that a armorer that wanted to establish a relationship would not only supply high res pictures, but if it were my company, I would probably be the first one to assemble and submit said armor for approval. That seems to be the perfect way to get feedback directly from the source.

I'm a person that doesn't get deep into armor criticism around lineage, but I am not completely comfortable with the communication you have offered. It seems just enough to encourage optimism, but not as much as you could provide to just settle the matter of suitability.

Any way we can get detailed pictures of each piece, most importantly the ab and assembled helmet?

• Like 1