Pull_and_Twist HWT Build

So i've started down the path of putting together the materials needed to turn my TK into a HWT.

I procured a white pauldron and a canvas pouch set from TB before they went on hiatus, still need to pick up a third pouch for the left side. My drop boxes/holster are removable for when I rock the HWT pouches and the left pouch should cover the holster holes in my belt.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

The main aspect I plan to tackle during my winter break from work is the HWT back pack. I've ordered most of the items from UKWraths build thread and they should be filtering in over the next few days.

So far I've received my antenna and pop-it containers, plus I picked up a TK shoulder strap from ATA Works and a photo storage box. My Wedco oil pan should be arriving today, tomorrow I get my KYDEX V Sheets (that I plan to use instead of the poster-board paper) and Monday i'll hit up the hardware store for everything else.

IMG_7747.jpg

The photobox felt a little flimsy after I cut it down to the correct depth so I reinforced it with some wood so it can take an accidental knock or two.

IMG_7750.jpg

It's a lot sturdier now... I hope it holds up against any wear and tear. I also decided to keep the lip on the lid as I think it adds more character to the entire piece and plan to use screws to keep the box and lid connected. 

IMG_7748.jpg

It's been going slow and steady so far but I hope to pick up the pace as I gather the remaining materials I need.

Let me know if anyone see's me making any mistakes that may prevent approval. 

Edited by Pull_and_Twist

Also... if anyone wants a template for creating the cone on the back pack, this is an awesome tool I use for creating transitions for model rockets and should work for our needs as well. 

http://www.payloadbay.com/index.php?page=Tools&action=TRANS

Awesome job on reinforcing the photo box, Robert!  Looking forward to the rest of this build!  If I can be of any help, just ask.

I've made a bit of progress on my build since the last post and have acquired all the supplies I will need for its construction.

Started out by trimming everything of off the oil pan and installing the antenna.

IMG_7912.jpg

I've also managed to cut the lips off of the containers and have cutout 3 and applied two of the backing panels. I also shaped and trimmed my shoulder strap.

IMG_7914.jpg

Then I assembled my tumbler cup and used a bit of math to make the cone. I've since drilled the rivet holes and now the pieces are done with primer and drying.

IMG_7909.jpg

I also cut the end caps and primed my tube.

IMG_7915.jpg

I also got my wipes container primed and drying but didn't take a pic of it, 

I'm going to chug along and see if i can finish it within a week.

Awesome job on reinforcing the photo box, Robert!  Looking forward to the rest of this build!  If I can be of any help, just ask.

Thank you, will do.  :duim:

Looking good Robert! Always great seeing another HWT coming up!

Thanks, can't wait to get it all put together.

I wasn't able to find the Valspar Silver Fox and picked up Rustoleum Wildflower Blue as it looked like a close match in the store... but now that it's applied i'm having second thoughts. Is this ok for approval and does it look close enough??

IMG_7984.jpg

I think you should lean to the grey side. That just looks to blue. From what I see.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Luckily, I was finally able to track down the Valspar Silver Fox today and picked that up. Looking at the colors side by side the Silver Fox is far greyer with only the slightest tint of blue.

Made some further progress...

IMG_7990.jpg

The plastic face plate still needs to be glued to the radio box and then i think i'll need smaller caps for the dials. I found the size quoted in UKWraths build thread and used his measurements but for some reason they are huge compared to the boxes they're supposed to fit in, i think i may have to go with 1.5" Snapple caps.

Three more boxes to go and final assembly. 

What do you guys think looks better?? The larger dials (2.125") on the left or the smaller dials (1.5") on the right??

dials.jpg

I'm leaning towards the bigger ones even though there's less space between the top and bottom edges of their respective boxes.

Looking GREAT so far, Robert!  IMHO, I would go with the one on the right, if simply for aesthetic purposes.  The farther apart they are the more definition, so they look like buttons and less like a strip.  As long as you are in the general area some leeway is allowed, the same with the knobs.  This may help:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40081-tip-note-on-hwt-pack-specs/

Looking GREAT so far, Robert!  IMHO, I would go with the one on the right, if simply for aesthetic purposes.  The farther apart they are the more definition, so they look like buttons and less like a strip.  As long as you are in the general area some leeway is allowed, the same with the knobs.  This may help:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40081-tip-note-on-hwt-pack-specs/

Thanks, after staring at it for a little too long I decided that the right option would indeed look better... and you're correct about it looking more like a textured strip then buttons if they're squished together. 

I've looked at the pack specs in that thread and I have a few issues with the tech drawing in the thread... especially with the radio box that has some weird dimensions that wouldn't produce the result pictured if you were to follow them. So I've just been using it as a pseudo-reference and making my own calculations as I go.

Looking good Robert! Love all these new pack's coming together! I'm calling it early, 2017 the year of the HWT! The more the better, the more at Centurion even better!

• Like 1

Looking good Robert! Love all these new pack's coming together! I'm calling it early, 2017 the year of the HWT! The more the better, the more at Centurion even better!

"The year of the HWT"..  With all the Heavy Weapons Troopers joining the ranks, you may be right on that!  Now, if we could only infiltrate the MEPD and convince those wannabe Sandies to forego all that orange and red dirt in favor of black weathering (and a MUCH less expensive pack) we would be in business, LOL!  (I may be a little bit biased, though)  ;)

Let's leave the Beach Boy's combing for droids. We'll handle it!<br><br>

P.S. I think most of that Orange is Sun Tan lotion.<br>

P.P.S. Still looking good Robert!

• Like 1

Thank you, looking forward to joining the HWT ranks. It's been fun piecing it together.

I managed to finish the final box for the pack. I'd have to say that this one was the most tedious to assemble... glad I saved it for last.

IMG_8038.jpg

And of course I had to place them all on the base oil pan to see what it will look like. Loving it so far, can't wait to finish it.

IMG_8039.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to work on attaching the straps and start attaching some of the pieces together. For the straps, I scored a backpack from Goodwill for $2 that should work real well once I switch out the adjusting bracket for latches.

IMG_8040.jpg

In my opinion, THAT is how a HWT pack should look, Robert... well done!!   All it needs is some weathering, and you are well on your way to joining the ranks, brother.

In my opinion, THAT is how a HWT pack should look, Robert... well done!!   All it needs is some weathering, and you are well on your way to joining the ranks, brother.

Thank you. I'm not sure if I want to weather it yet... I'm kinda liking the clean look.  :blink:

Today I made a ton of progress on the pack... attached the shoulder straps.

IMG_8052.png

Then I went ahead and screwed/glued everything together. The side tube kinda twisted on me... so i'll be remounting that tomorrow.

IMG_8050.png

I think it turned out pretty well, looks like the game version (plus an antenna that makes it look way better)...

HWT3.jpg

And here's a closer look.

IMG_8049_2.jpg

Tomorrow I also need to pick up some thick felt to line the back with so it doesn't scratch the armor.

Overall it was a fun build and following UKsWrath build thread took a lot of the guesswork out of it. 

Edited by Pull_and_Twist