Jedha Sandtroopers

LoveMonkey

This was posted over on MEPD today.  Thought I would share it here with you guys, especially those who are making those Jedha backpacks.  If you are making one of these new packs, come join us over at MEPD.

The OP got this picture from the new book "STAR WARS Rogue One: The Complete Visual Guide".

31690379156_f5c93dfafa_z.jpg

• Like 4

Did anyone actually catch these guys on screen yet? I've been to two showings...yet to see these guys on Jedha, but caught one in a crowd scene early on. Blick and you miss it though...

Sent from my R4 unit using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are definitely in the movie. I saw them briefly the second viewing and then saw them fully the third viewing. They are seen in two spots - The Ring of Kafrene and on Jedha. I will post a picture of where they were. Its sad because there was over 46 shots that were shown in the trailers but not in the movie, this being one of them as can be seen here - https://vimeo.com/196155136

Edited by Netliquid

Hey Kirk, thanks for reposting here! And yes, I definitely saw TK-14057 (Jehda Patrol Captain) on screen in Rogue One, albeit briefly. Many other troopers with "variant" loadouts are seen throughout the Jehda scenes.

Edited by BrinkHouse

The packs can actually be spotted 3 or 4 times in a few different scenes by my count, I seen Rogue One 5 times now doing different troops and such. Also the packs are NOT for Sandtroopers, or 'Jedha troopers', or any specific type of trooper or location. According to the visual guide they are "Crystal Patrol Duty" packs and they are "field-specific kits" worn by "standard stormtroopers".

Read the article in this image from the visual guide. Notice it is worn by a "standard stormtrooper" just as the paragraph says.

q697Y2i.jpg

Looking at the Norwegian grenade case it does have the appearance of "Vac-Sealed Armoured Canisters". Considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals not only in the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

i4vVQ3J.jpg

On a side note, this also makes perfect sense as to why we first see one of these packs at the Kafrene Trading Outpost which is not on the planet Jedha. The Empire would definitely deploy "standard stormtroopers" issued with these "field specific kits" at the nearby trading outpost in order to capture and confiscate any crystals from citizens attempting to trade them on the market.

This also explains why the pack was on a "standard stormtrooper" at Celebration Europe and NOT a sandtrooper. The pack at CE looks like it has mud splashed on it from walking/running and being set down on the ground, but the stormtrooper armor is standard shiny white like he just stepped off a star destroyer.

If you read the paragraph below the image it doesn't actually mention the packs whatsoever, It focuses on the armor itself.

Notice the base of the antenna is above their shoulders and totally different, notice the lack of shoulder straps, or a hook greeblie!

WKIN4c4.jpg

I actually believe these aren't even the same packs, they are specific sandtrooper packs as seen on the Hot Toys Jedha Patrol action figure.

vFTrnEr.jpg

Also seen briefly in the CE sizzle reel.

hAr16N6.jpg

I also came across this image over at MEPD, apparently it's a photo from a magazine that had lots of Rogue One promo shots in it.

kTioHi8.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 2:15 PM, BrinkHouse said:

Good eye, Henry!

Thanks.

It's confirmed, after receiving my own copy of the Rogue One Visual Guide for my birthday I have been able to see a complete view of these pages. The "hardpack" that I indicated above is in fact specifically designed for Sandtroopers, this particular sandtrooper pack is a "Type 4 Field Pack" as seen in the image below. (shown on page 134 of the visual guide, right next to the Sandtrooper paragraph shown earlier)

fBwl9YC.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 6:11 PM, SlyFox740 said:

Thanks.

It's confirmed, after receiving my own copy of the Rogue One Visual Guide for my birthday I have been able to see a complete view of these pages. The "hardpack" that I indicated above is in fact specifically designed for Sandtroopers, this particular sandtrooper pack is a "Type 4 Field Pack" as seen in the image below. (shown on page 134 of the visual guide)

Ooh by any chance does that mean that this pack can be used for ANH style sandtroopers? Or are we going to make the pack exclusive for R1 type sandtroopers?

Ooh by any chance does that mean that this pack can be used for ANH style sandtroopers? Or are we going to make the pack exclusive for R1 type sandtroopers?

This is a good question to ask over at MEPD.net

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/topic/14846-rogue-one-jehda-patrols-are-sandtroopers/#comment-188147

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 2:29 AM, shwarzwald said:

Well just as an example I made my own replica of the other "Crystal Patrol Duty" pack using all original real found parts, that pack is meant for "standard stormtroopers" according to the Rogue One visual guide and I needed to gain special permission from my garrison's GML to wear my R1 TK pack with my ANH TK armor while trooping the premiere or any Rogue One screening events. In the end

Walt Disney Studios Canada themselves posted this photo of me wearing my R1 pack with ANH armor at the Canadian Premiere on December 14th, 2016 in downtown Toronto at the Scotiabank Theater. It's on their facebook page if you go here: https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyStudiosCanada/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10153902118261599

---------------

That is a custom Rogue One style pauldron, accurate to all the details seen in the film, and in the visual guide, and on display at Star Wars Celebration Europe. I see it as an extension of the pack as all the stormtroopers seen wearing this pack in the film also have shoulder pauldrons of varying colors (Orange, White, Black).

Here is an interesting post I made related to the subject specifically concerning costuming, Disney/Lucasfilm, AND action figures; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39073-celebration-europe-2016-rogue-one-stormtrooper-back-pack-build/?p=528981

On 12/29/2016 at 2:32 AM, ukswrath said:

Agreed.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 11:33 AM, SlyFox740 said:

I also came across this image over at MEPD, apparently it's a photo from a magazine that had lots of Rogue One promo shots in it.

The two figures with the visible backpacks are IDENTICAL in every way, weathering, markings, position of the armour, pose etc. The figure on the left has been photoshopped onto the image and is a duplicate of the figure on the right. Kinda odd if its a still from the film......?

The two figures with the visible backpacks are IDENTICAL in every way, weathering, markings, position of the armour, pose etc. The figure on the left has been photoshopped onto the image and is a duplicate of the figure on the right. Kinda odd if its a still from the film......?

Photoshop cut its teeth making terminator 2. Adding a second trooper in post production is easy and then it's part of the film. Just mapped onto a second part of the cell frame by frame.

Too bad we can't get a real capture from the movie. I wonder if the requirement will be for dirty armor - I'd think so? I'll have to see the movie again, darn it. ;-)

Though I suspect someone already knows the answer?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

ScouseTrooper,

that image is actually concept art for the film - it is not from the film itself. It can be seen in the 'Art of Rogue One' book - although interestingly the image in the book is horizontally flipped - you can tell as the Type 4 pack is a mirror image of the one seen in the trailer long shot and on the Hot Toys etc.

ireachy