Started up on my ANOVOS Stormtrooper again...

After what feels like probably a year (more like 6 or 7 months) I'm bringing my kit back out and I'm going to start up on it again. I fully built it to try and get it ready for a Convention, but it sat way too big on me. I looked like a white Spaceturtle :( I was sort of let down and disappointed as these kits aren't cheap and I've always wanted to rock the Stormtrooper look...

Recently a friend of a friend recommended I check out some online forums for guidance, so here I am. I've actually already started trimming my pieces back this evening. I've got some positive energy and motivation and I really want to make this kit work! So...here are some pictures of my kit from where I've left off. You've probably seen a lot of great ANOVOS builds already, but hey. I figured I'd share what I have so far.

DSC_1129_zpsshmczotc.jpg

DSC_1128_zpsb8pzsx9g.jpg

DSC_1127_zpslodae6in.jpg

DSC_1125_zpsz5f0h1ye.jpg

DSC_1133_zpsa8griuvv.jpg

Still lots of work and fine tuning/details but I really wanted to get the size down right first. Make sense?

Cheers, 

Kimbo

Just a couple of quick notes, Kim..  First, are those magnets holding the shoulder straps on?  If you are going for ROTJ, those need to be rivets.  And if you could post a photo of the cod without the belt.  It may be the angle, but it looks as if you might have trimmed it a bit too much.  I would also bring the shoulder bells in until the tops touch (or almost touch) the shoulder bridge connection.  Keep up the great work!

It would be better if you post pictures of you wearing the armor instead of showing it on a mannequin. This way we can see if it fits correctly or not. Looking at the 2nd picture I noticed that you started to remove the return edge from the top of the thigh? That's a good way to reduce the length of the legs. You can also make the shins a bit shorter at the bottom. Just remember to keep the shape intact as much as possible. Also you should first make sure everything has the correct width before you start cutting down the length. In general the cover strips visible on the front should match the width of the raised edge on the arms and legs. Your edge look wider then the cover strips. If you need to adjust the width then you trim it at the back. Look in ukswrath anovos build thread on how to size them correctly.

Just a couple of quick notes, Kim..  First, are those magnets holding the shoulder straps on?  If you are going for ROTJ, those need to be rivets.  And if you could post a photo of the cod without the belt.  It may be the angle, but it looks as if you might have trimmed it a bit too much.  I would also bring the shoulder bells in until the tops touch (or almost touch) the shoulder bridge connection.  Keep up the great work!

They are actually metal snap buttons. I tried doing the traditional way, and gluing the front of the straps to the chest plate, but there didn't seem to be an easy way to keep them stuck on and they kept falling off. Any ideas or tutorials on how to fix that would be awesome. I know its not accepted doing it this way (with the metal buttons) so I will definitely have to think up a better way of securing them to the chest.

It would be better if you post pictures of you wearing the armor instead of showing it on a mannequin. This way we can see if it fits correctly or not. Looking at the 2nd picture I noticed that you started to remove the return edge from the top of the thigh? That's a good way to reduce the length of the legs. You can also make the shins a bit shorter at the bottom. Just remember to keep the shape intact as much as possible. Also you should first make sure everything has the correct width before you start cutting down the length. In general the cover strips visible on the front should match the width of the raised edge on the arms and legs. Your edge look wider then the cover strips. If you need to adjust the width then you trim it at the back. Look in ukswrath anovos build thread on how to size them correctly.

Fair enough xD I'll see if I can either find some old pictures I had testing the armor, or put it back on and take new ones. I noticed there was a neat way on how to trim and possibly bring a return edge back into trimmed pieces using a heat gun very carefully. I *think* I can manage doing that and cleaning it back into proper shape. 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35211-ukswrath's-"GO-TO"-thread

Have a look at this.

There's always a way to achieve what you want!

Marc

Thank you SO much Marc. This is a great build  and very helpful.

• Like 1

There is a relatively easy way to fix those shoulder bridges, Kimberly.  First, carefully remove those snaps.  Then, you will need to make up a small batch (less than a teaspoon) of ABS paste to fill the holes, if you need help with this, just PM me or ask on this thread.  Sand them down until they are level and then polish...(this is actually easier than it sounds).

To re-connect them to the chest plate, use E-6000 and some clamps to hold them in place while they dry, usually 12 to 24 hours.

Will it take some time?  Short answer- Yes.  Will it be worth it?  Definitely!

Sorry for the low grade quality (not to mention the whole set isn't on :P) but this was basically how these pieces fit BEFORE I recently started doing some trimming. The legs and codpiece were both too low and too high. I tried wearing the AB piece up higher but it was so high up you could hardly even see the buttons. troop%201_zpsek3edxi4.jpg

We would definitely need to see what the armor looks like on you right now in order to advise you, as opposed to how it looked before you started trimming.

Also, have you looked into contacting the local 501st members? They can offer hands-on help.