Why are stormtrooper commanders using jedi armor?

shawnpane

Hey Gang!

Crazy question. If the stormtrooper commanders first appearance wearing blue is in the force unleashed 2008. It is said to take place 2 years BBY. Why are Stormtrooper commanders using jedi armor and not ANH. Just curious how the FISD and LEGION came to this conclusion.

Usually something like this would go in off topic, so i'll just assume a moderator will move it there soon. But to answer your question, the FISD and 501st don't base their costuming criteria for the average stormtrooper on video games, rather actual screen used armor, so you can see why the lore in TFU doesn't really apply with the legion's ANH TK reference. Now for the TK commander (which i think is what you're refering to) which has blue stripes and such, the legion does base their costume criteria for that character on TFU; but if we're talking about the same thing, it isn't jedi armor, it's essentially either ANH or ESB or some other variation with the color added to denote rank. 

Edited by dejango

Thank You for moving! Yes i am refering to the tk commander.  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_commander Butt plate and kidney being one piece. The gasket that goes all the way around the upper torso, ab button plate being upside down.That's a Jedi suit all the way around? is it not? That's what I am trying to understand. I assume that ANH set painted up as tk commander will not pass admission to the legion. They want you to use a jedi armor, with ANH helm. Why wouldn't ANH armor pass as well?

It's been said that ROTJ-style stormtroopers was the perfecting of the stormtrooper in George Lucas' eyes. Hence, much of what you see post-ROTJ (especially in the video games) is based on ROTJ armor - that includes the armor seen in TFU. And like Caleb said, the CRL for TKC is based on the character as seen in TFU.

Brian has it right. Also, it's cost. Once they have one valid model, it's cheaper to re-use it. Ideally LFL would talk to us first before putting this stuff in video games, but alas not. :(

• Like 1

From my understanding, from some of the EA/Dice interviews about Battlefront, the ROTJ armor is the only armor still in the archives. So it makes sense when these game companies needed a suit to get references of that is all they had to go on.Another example of that is the special edition sandtrooper backpacks in Battlefront, LFL doesn't have the old ANH backpacks so that is all EA/Dice had to use for reference.

From my understanding, from some of the EA/Dice interviews about Battlefront, the ROTJ armor is the only armor still in the archives. So it makes sense when these game companies needed a suit to get references of that is all they had to go on.Another example of that is the special edition sandtrooper backpacks in Battlefront, LFL doesn't have the old ANH backpacks so that is all EA/Dice had to use for reference.

False. They have ANH in the archives too (we have photos of the suits in the gallery - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/16-lucas-film-archives-joer/).I was at the DICE studio while Battlefront was in alpha version invited by them to review their stormtroopers. But LFL wanted them to scan the ROTJ suit as that is "the ideal stormtrooper" in how they want them to look, so that's what they did. It was the same for previous video games too.

• Like 1

False. They have ANH in the archives too (we have photos of the suits in the gallery - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/16-lucas-film-archives-joer/).I was at the DICE studio while Battlefront was in alpha version invited by them to review their stormtroopers. But LFL wanted them to scan the ROTJ suit as that is "the ideal stormtrooper" in how they want them to look, so that's what they did. It was the same for previous video games too.

Heard about that, playing the game, I can see they really wanted to make it look similar to an ANH armor in certain maps, but they can only do so little when they have a model that looks nothing alike... Although, the sand trooper helmet model they did looks gorgeous. I really prefer the ANH armor though. It looks wrong to have rotj armor placed in maps based off other movies >.< Imagine putting a snowtrooper on Tatooine.

Heard about that, playing the game, I can see they really wanted to make it look similar to an ANH armor in certain maps, but they can only do so little when they have a model that looks nothing alike... Although, the sand trooper helmet model they did looks gorgeous. I really prefer the ANH armor though. It looks wrong to have rotj armor placed in maps based off other movies >.< Imagine putting a snowtrooper on Tatooine.

Yes, the sandtrooper helmet is a scanned genuine ANH sandtrooper helmet from the archive.

Thanks for correcting me on that. Glad to know they kept some of the ANH suits.