Lee's Shore/Tank Trooper Build - WIP

Hikuro1983

I'm super excited for this! recently I came across some amazing files one of them being the new Shoretrooper of course so I want to show off the progress build of not only this armor but of myself as I have to squeeze into this suit!

The build will be entirely 3D printed from greaver to helmet and even long rifle. These are some of the best files I've come across and it seems this'll get my foot through the 501st approval door which will be awesome if this pulls off.

Thus far I'm starting with the forearms as they're the most simplistic as a straight print, no assembly required.

Print time is 58 hours at .06mm 10%infill yeah that's a long an impolite person time I know, but it's worth it.

15350630_10211368844393871_4213904380519

Got this roughly measured to my scale thus far. This was originally designed for someone of 6ft 180lb, so it will certainly need adjustment for my size

15355688_10211368877234692_6340027111641

It's gonna be a slow an impolite person process.....but with a great reward in the end!

Edited by Hikuro1983
Restarting and making changes!

As you've probably realised, no point using 'those' words as they get bleeped out by the forum anyway....

Where did you get the files from? I see a few people using Do3D files lately. Is this their's too?

For your adjustments, are you adjusting before print, or just going to cut and glue once its done, like normal ABS armour?

Watching....

As you've probably realised, no point using 'those' words as they get bleeped out by the forum anyway....

Where did you get the files from? I see a few people using Do3D files lately. Is this their's too?

For your adjustments, are you adjusting before print, or just going to cut and glue once its done, like normal ABS armour?

Watching....

Pfff, sometimes I swear and I don't even realize I do it.....think it's a millennial thing.

I've heard nothing but awful awful stories about Do3D's files for "Printing". And not to mention they're insanely expensive. No, I actually got these files from a nice guy on a facebook fan spot called Shoretrooper Fam. He offers the files for free for anyone who wishes to build their own armor and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. And if anyone wants to sell casts of his files they're welcome to do so as long as they don't gouge people and give atleast something back to the community with the funds.

I'm attempting to scale it the best I can according to my size, but some areas will be held off until I shed a little needed weight to make it fit better and not look like an overweight nerd playing stormtrooper. What I end up doing is take measurements of the area in question, usually the entire area say like the forearm. I measure it at 9 inches in length, find out what the scale measurements are on the file and adjust it to my size by playing with the scale adjuster. Now I can't go and say "I want to be 231.2mm in height." I have to tell it to go from 1.0 to .87 or .88, continue to play with the scale ratio until I get the height I want roughly. I can either be a little under, or a little over. In this case I would rather be a little over. That way when the print is finished I can test it out, and either cut a small excess amount out or add in a little foam padding to fill if to wide.

It's something I'll be playing with a lot until I get it just right. Filament is cheap in my neck of the woods, this roll was only 17 dollars and is doing a decent job.

• Like 1

Pfff, sometimes I swear and I don't even realize I do it.....think it's a millennial thing.

I've heard nothing but awful awful stories about Do3D's files for "Printing". And not to mention they're insanely expensive. No, I actually got these files from a nice guy on a facebook fan spot called Shoretrooper Fam. He offers the files for free for anyone who wishes to build their own armor and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. And if anyone wants to sell casts of his files they're welcome to do so as long as they don't gouge people and give atleast something back to the community with the funds.

I'm attempting to scale it the best I can according to my size, but some areas will be held off until I shed a little needed weight to make it fit better and not look like an overweight nerd playing stormtrooper. What I end up doing is take measurements of the area in question, usually the entire area say like the forearm. I measure it at 9 inches in length, find out what the scale measurements are on the file and adjust it to my size by playing with the scale adjuster. Now I can't go and say "I want to be 231.2mm in height." I have to tell it to go from 1.0 to .87 or .88, continue to play with the scale ratio until I get the height I want roughly. I can either be a little under, or a little over. In this case I would rather be a little over. That way when the print is finished I can test it out, and either cut a small excess amount out or add in a little foam padding to fill if to wide.

It's something I'll be playing with a lot until I get it just right. Filament is cheap in my neck of the woods, this roll was only 17 dollars and is doing a decent job.

I bought the complete Death Trooper and Shore Trooper files from Do3d and love them! I do not mind paying a designer for their hard work. Also, where are you in Oregon? I am in Salem. Let's meet up! Would love to have a 3d printing buddy who is also into Star Wars!!! My email is elmexijedi@gmail.com. Real name is Richard. I have a laser cutter and CNC router besides the 3d printers so if you need anything come over! 

I bought the complete Death Trooper and Shore Trooper files from Do3d and love them! I do not mind paying a designer for their hard work. Also, where are you in Oregon? I am in Salem. Let's meet up! Would love to have a 3d printing buddy who is also into Star Wars!!! My email is elmexijedi@gmail.com. Real name is Richard. I have a laser cutter and CNC router besides the 3d printers so if you need anything come over! 

Sounds cool and since you're also new, welcome to the darkside :P I'm in the outskirts of Woodburn. Tried joining the Cloud City Garrison but I have yet to hear anything from them  which is a bummer cause they're doing a special screening of Rogue One tomorrow.

I've read some reviews and talked to some friends who had horror stories about Do3D. Stuff like how there were hidden faces and back typography on some of their files, and when they would bring up there were issues whomever they talked too gave them a hard time and wouldn't fix the model.

Speaking of fixing, I had a mishap today. When I got home from work the spool roller came undone and my spool fell, snapping filament at the base. I only had 10% left to go and my print would of finished.

15355688_10211368877234692_6340027111641

It fit fairly well, maybe a bit big. So I took it from a .88 to a .87, only losing maybe a quarter of an inch at best. I'll see how that comes together and test fit it with a long sleeve shirt or something to be sure, then print the next.

To help prevent the roller from doing this again I zip tied both ends.....hopefully this will fix the problem until I create a new spool holder.

Are these Sean Fields files?  What I have seen they look good.

Yeah they're Sean's files, they're great, very well thought out and for the most part printer friendly. I've been printing parts all week but some of them fail due to a printer issue.....I think when that spool fell on my printer the other day it caused a slight print head issue and it's not laying filament correctly without a little help. Once the rafting is done it does a pretty good job after that. So when I get to these bigger parts I'll be a little worried.

Pictures and details of your printer?

email me let's have coffee or such

Wombot_zpsgchlzkf5.jpg

I have a Wombot Exilis XL. It was recommended by a friend of mine after he ditched his Robo3D for this. It does 50 micron on a 10x10x13 print bed and can handle PLA and ABS and with a few adjustments just about any kind of other filament like ninjaflex and such, but I mostly just deal in PLA, it isn't as picky as ABS can be, or as deadly fume wise.

Sadly with the holidays and this project I don't have a lot of time to myself...I pull off a lot of hours as a graphic designer and photographer and come home and work on my next set of prints, but when I have a slow period after the end of this year, we'll talk.

As for the prints, I completely finished a forearm and left hand plate, print quality looks great. Forearm is just a bit tight on the top but roomy on the wrist area. Handplate is fine, maybe a bit big but I don't see a need to reprint.

I tried to do the right side this morning but when I came home the print pulled off.....that's when I noticed that my rafting layers aren't setting down correctly which makes me think the printer spool did some damage when it fell and knocked the head out of alignment. I might talk to my friend and see if he can look at it sometime. But as long as I lift the head slightly and let it do it's raft, the rest of the print works just fine.

my work area is very cool though, they love seeing this stuff, even our store owner was swinging by and looking at this stuff wondering what I got cooking, even messed with a black series trooper helmet I was customizing. Won first place at a costume contest at work on halloween so yeah, get a kick out of it.

Guy at work asked if I'd work on a shoretrooper for him while I'm doing this, honestly I don't see why not if he pays for his own supplies. I mean god its so much cheaper than buying a kit right now.

Do you have a link to where you got the files from or could you send the files my way?

Look on facebook for Shoretrooper Fam. It'll be located on their pinned post.

Two forearms and hand plates are complete

15589496_10211467826508362_1404634030056

15589698_10211467826988374_4414278887709

Trying to start work on the helmet cause I need to mold it and cast it for myself and 2 friends for our armor....but the printer is having an issue.

Prints look great!

New to 3D printing (I have a butt stock for my Sniper rifle, link below, and a few R2D2 parts). How is the strength of it, when you only printing a few mm thick? Maybe an additional question, actually how thick do the pieces print? Or do you have to add fibreglass to give it trooping strength?

Prints look great!

New to 3D printing (I have a butt stock for my Sniper rifle, link below, and a few R2D2 parts). How is the strength of it, when you only printing a few mm thick? Maybe an additional question, actually how thick do the pieces print? Or do you have to add fibreglass to give it trooping strength?

I'm adding a shell thickness to a 2, which makes it pretty strong dependent on 1 factor, your print settings.

For instance, the hand plates are strong, super strong, I can drop them and nothing is going to happen. My forearms, they're strong as well but if you apply enough force they'll crack and break.

You can add fiberglass inside to add support if you want too, but it's really not needed.

Now I'm doing the helmet, and that's something different. The shell thickness is the same, the print settings are the same as what I did with the forearms. BUT, because my level of print support isn't as great as I'd like, I have a few print errors which means it's no where near the strength level it should be.

I could fix that later during the assembly process, OR I can reprint the part. I'm thinking for now I'll leave it alone and fix it during the assembly phase.

Pal of mine and I are gonna try and create a casting mold from it, he's done it to a few of his 3D Prints and they look great compared to the old days of pepakura. Since Sean is very cool about what you do if you sell the molds give something back to charity, and that's what we agreed upon. There are numerous charities in our area and a couple really stand out to us that we've helped in the past. So that's probably what we'll do if the casts are successful and we decide to branch out and sell these to people whom don't want to go through the process. It's a wait and see thing right now.

• Like 1

Just curious, what is the total cu cm for the project? I just got the files from shoretrooper fam but am trying to figure out total material cost. The company has a 3d printer not in use nor scheduled to be for a while so as long as i pay for material i can use it. So before I get to deep into this print job trying to get a good idea of what the material cost is going to be. 

Just curious, what is the total cu cm for the project? I just got the files from shoretrooper fam but am trying to figure out total material cost. The company has a 3d printer not in use nor scheduled to be for a while so as long as i pay for material i can use it. So before I get to deep into this print job trying to get a good idea of what the material cost is going to be. 

Depends on your settings. I'm on .06mm at 15% infill and I've gone through an entire spool of 1.75mm PLA on 2 forearms and hand plates. I'm now on spool #2 doing the helmet at .1mm at 15% infill and have done 3 parts so far knocking me down a third of my filament.

It also varies on the brand you buy....so far my average cost per spool is 25 dollars, thus I'm in 50 bucks right now, and I got another 75 dollars worth sitting ready to go. So if you measure things out right, know if your settings are what you really need them to be.....I think you can probably get away with maybe 500 dollars worth of filament.

• Like 1

Last few days of progress, it's been a pain I've had a few reprints from early start up. Filament doesn't want to lay down correctly and kind of just strings around not sitting on the print bed the way it should. so it kind of looks like wheaties I guess you could say.

657AEA99-5ABE-4DF0-8EF2-4274D3681667_zps

ED5FF9D6-F51D-4789-AA55-C8D7579C5ECA_zps

As you can see up top on the right side or the helmet's left, the center dome didn't print very well, that's the bed printed side of the object....I think if I tried to reprint this whole thing it would turn out a bit different.

Had a fear for the opposite end last night. A piece of the support structure snapped off cause it prints so thin.

Today's print is a really large one, barely fits on my print bed....almost overhangs just a bit but in an area that should be safe. I had to reprint it twice from the beginning cause the strands don't sit in place. I reset my firmware an profile and tried again, looks like I can sleep with the way it is now, but I dunno.

wasted night of printing yesterday, several attempts went out the window, thought I had a good one so I went to sleep and woke up to a mess. Support fill snapped early into print it seems and part of the thinnest area of the helmet part started warping pretty badly. Looked like a few layers had been skipped over as well for some reason.

I was pretty upset so I shut the printer off for the day and went to work. Got home a bit ago and looked some things over. Levels are fine, everything is for the most part fairly balanced and tight. No nozzle clogging. I think what was one of the biggest problems was my spool reel is to tight, so there are two options, one is tough the other is easy. I wanna get a new reel and downloaded a nice file, but half the model is a 38 hour print, that's most of my weekend. THUS I decided the easy route for now would work. Got some pam out of the kitchen drawer, sprayed and wiped it on the axle reel and inside the spool. Then I went and added an extra 10% of support fill and started printing. So far everything is looking good, there's a little warp at an edge because the area I'm printing right now is almost bigger than the print bed allows so it can't sit properly. I don't see it as a problem as it's only on the rafting side and the actual model seems to be alright, and so long as it stays I'll be able to fix it later during clean up phase. If everything works out I'll have a photo tomorrow to mark the progress.

Not much progress can be posted at this time, except here I thought you guys might like this,

15747789_10211572797052560_4533602372124

My Endor gloves arrived today that were on sale. I'm really happy with the overall look right now, infact since I'm printing on white PLA I got more of a storm trooper look going on rather than a shore trooper but that'll change pretty soon. It's nice to see the overall appearance is coming together and I'm still no where close to finished.

As for the helmet, things ar eprogressing well but I have no images to show off until sometime next week. Parts are taking a long time to print and I hit atleast 1 snag. The cheek parts are not really as printer friendly as I was hoping. Kind of had suspicion that they'd be difficult but yeah, I didn't want to come home to a bird nest of white plastic.

With that I'll be printing again all weekend versus doing a test assembly.

15826028_10211611261814155_2484410693849 finished the helmet parts on tuesday, did a quick test fit, and things came out decent despite a few hiccups along the way. So the helmet will be going to a friend soon for final assembly and casting.

Sadly though my adventure will come to a halt as I've gotten extremely ill since new years eve and haven't improved. Damn shame. But in the meantime since I can't really do much I just began building the E-22 rifle which will be a slow go.

Hello there! Awesome progress so far. Sorry to hear you are sick (probably doesn't help being buried under a foot of snow). I'm local too, as in I'm up in the Raleigh Hills area near Beaverton. I have been considering joining up for a year or so, and since seeing Rogue One I fell for the shore trooper.<br><br>

I have some experience with resin casting and (like many members) I built a LOT of models growing up. My skills are definitely a bit rusty these days (kids and all that grown up stuff) but I'd be very interested in helping out with getting some shore trooper molds done. I'm really similar in build to the source files (5'11", 190lbs etc).<br><br>

I might even have a line on a 3d printer but I'll have to check on that.<br><br>

Tl:Dr<br>

Great build, I would like to try to help out and get hands on one to certify with (if that's even feasible)

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, I don't recommend gorilla snot, it doesn't hold very well to heavy objects like say a helmet or a blaster. I do recommend like what was mentioned, a super glue with an accelerator. I use a product I was introduced too at work called 2P10, it comes in a super glue with a large aresol can for the accelerator and does marvelous job at bonding almost instantly. I do recommend caution though when using it and to wear gloves.....it bonds to skin like no other.

Hello there! Awesome progress so far. Sorry to hear you are sick (probably doesn't help being buried under a foot of snow). I'm local too, as in I'm up in the Raleigh Hills area near Beaverton. I have been considering joining up for a year or so, and since seeing Rogue One I fell for the shore trooper.<br><br>

I have some experience with resin casting and (like many members) I built a LOT of models growing up. My skills are definitely a bit rusty these days (kids and all that grown up stuff) but I'd be very interested in helping out with getting some shore trooper molds done. I'm really similar in build to the source files (5'11", 190lbs etc).<br><br>

I might even have a line on a 3d printer but I'll have to check on that.<br><br>

Tl:Dr<br>

Great build, I would like to try to help out and get hands on one to certify with (if that's even feasible)

Thanks even though I've posted so very little progress. Thanks for the offer to help, we'll see how my pal Jeremie holds up, he's great at what he does but he's also a busy fellow. 3D printing has it's ups and downs but I'll be happy to help with whatever I can, but welcome to the crew!

I'm still fighting my cold, but I'm hoping with a little luck I can show some progress on the E-22 rifle. It's mostly printed, just doing reprints for bad parts. I collected some inch and half inch pvc piping per instructions and some bolts. So all I need to do is start to slowly assemble it and paint it.

I'll be out all day helping out with some stuff, and handing off the shoretrooper helmet to my pal so he can eagerly start getting to work.

I've also decided under everyones advise to reprint the forearms, I'm looking at this like Halo armor which is really really really different from imperial stuff. So I'll be trying to make corrections to the measurements as soon as I can and begin reprinting once I've tooled with the file on blender.

okay surprised but there was a little bit of progress on something yesterday! I had an event to go to today and since it was in my friends neighborhood I figured I'd drop off the parts for the bucket.

Shortly after I got home he sent me a couple of pictures of the bucket assembled and it looks great! Now mind you, there are some areas needing touch up cause the printer failed in a couple of locations, but they're VERY easy fixes.

16108078_1511471662214274_1297376027_o_z

16010015_1511471698880937_1392122482_o_z

We talked about areas of the helmet we wanted to have molded differently. So the rebreathers, the front face plate and the blast shield will be molded separately for easy painting and assembly. That seems to be something we haven't seen other casters do.....they seem to just do it all in 1 go or just 2 parts making it insane to tape properly and paint.

I'm nearly done printing the rifle as well. Scope and Light parts will be done in 2 more hours or so and it'll take 3 hours to print the magazine for the THIRD time. I need to go to the tool shop, get a miter saw or something to help cut the pvc pipe. But for now, you guys enjoy the bucket pics!