Falciform13's AP ANH Stunt Build

Hey all,

I've been sitting on this build for quite a while.  10 months.  Life kind of got in the way and time flies.  The most I've done is some basic trimming.  So now that things for me have calmed down a little, I'm finally going to start up again.  I'm been to a couple of armor parties early on (before I had my armor) just to check them out but since then the offerings have dried up in my area.  So I decided to start this thread to show my progress but mainly to ask for guidance before I do anything stupid.  I've been watching TK1636's youtube videos and have a few questions:

Looks like the abdominal plate side are too long.

post-27019-0-98871400-1481337701_thumb.jpg

post-27019-0-99094800-1481337714_thumb.jpg

I've taped the area that I'm thinking needs to be removed.  

post-27019-0-83793100-1481337715_thumb.jpg

This is it compared to the chest plate.

post-27019-0-48972600-1481337717_thumb.jpg

My second question is that I wanted to go with the bracket system rather than snaps.  Anyone have any thoughts on how wide the return edge should be?  My chest is really narrow and now I'm not sure if I want to attempt drilling holes in it (risking the chance of cracking).  I've bought the wire and made my own brackets.

post-27019-0-01860900-1481338502_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't remove anything from the ab until you have it setup with the kidney as well. then you can meet in the middle with the trimming. will make the clam shell easier to fit and adjust(and all the strapping will be right in the middle of your side. 

as for the brackets- I didn't use them but i think right where your return edge is right now would be about the minimum i would go down to. I have seem a lot of people use some scrap abs and cut rectangles out to double the thickness of the ABS where the brackets are to prevent the screws from tearing out.  

Also try to make the holes as small as possible, they do tend to crack.

If you want to use the original bracket system you could also add snaps and elastic to take some strain off of the original brackets, would help stop cracking.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that it's after the holidays, I'm picking back up.  I have a question about the biceps.  Does the lower part (closest to the elbow) need a return edge.  I bought AP armor and it doesn't really have much of one.  videos that I've seen show it.  I'm wondering if I need to heat what I have to create one.

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, I am working on AP also. I think the biceps do not have a return edge at the bottom. AP kit had lines you can see where to cut. Look around to be sure on the threads.

The ab and cod are long. It will take work to get it down to size.

Do not do trimming on that Ab and kidney without test fitting and taking a ton of time. What I did was get help and did a test fitting with tons of painters tape. Took pics and such on where to line it all up. I carefully trimmed to where I had more material than my marks and worked my way to fitting. I am a small short guy with a small gut. It took some work. Take your time. Measure a lot and try and cut once. I do tend to cut less and work down. takes more time but its helped me on the parts get where I need. If you cut too much your in a bind.

Thanks Richard, looks like you and I are just about at the same point in the build.  By the way, how's the return edge on your chest plate?  Mine is so narrow.  Right now, that's the piece I'm the most worried about.

Edited by Falciform13

Hi,

I am using the bracket system and on my return edges I held 8mm which is about 3/8". Originally I did 10mm but found they were digging into my skin. A couple areas I trimmed too much and had to add a strip of ABS to reinforce the bracket connection and to just make it wide enough to install brackets. If you have the time I'd definitely do the reinforcing everywhere for added strength.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just pics as I was working through it for example. Not detailed but starts after initial cutting, more sizing etc.

43761938-2C95-4C9B-8B63-6FB39FA137C9.jpg

AD30C9BD-B2AB-4C79-BD98-AA407341763E.jpg

After a good cut and sand close to what we need

928BA0B4-E6E7-4E19-B6F8-AE5A5F90EF4B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, u are saying to cut once and then sand the rest down to what you want?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard, looks like you and I are just about at the same point in the build. By the way, how's the return edge on your chest plate? Mine is so narrow. Right now, that's the piece I'm the most worried about.

It's thin yeah around sides and too but button is thicker. Got a pic?

So, u are saying to cut once and then sand the rest down to what you want?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I cut a few times because I'm paranoid. Sanding did help to.

I cut a lot like I did my thigh. Thinner to thicker to match it all up.

• 2 weeks later...

52d7b572b12e524fd4a8eb452cebae58.jpg

Ok. I started sizing the shins. I put on the boots and tried dry fitting the shins. The opening over the boot is way too small. I'm thinking that I may need to use a heat gun to widen it. Any suggestions?

So I started this post because I was worried about the return edge/brackets on my chest plate. Well, I took the plunge and finally drilled the holes after putting it off for so long. Happy to say it's ok (for now). Working on the elastic loops. That will be the real test.

45ae361ef71bbd9c7cfbab2983cc3cd2.jpg

b1d05306829d2e61a635d83fb1f4c243.jpg

When you have your boots on, your leg & ankle will round out the shape of the boot so that the shins will fit. Put your boot on and then hold the 2 halves of the shin in place. It should all fit, although snugly. I run AP & TK boots too.

• Like 1

Agreed, I have both as well. You won't have any issues.

When you have your boots on, your leg & ankle will round out the shape of the boot so that the shins will fit. Put your boot on and then hold the 2 halves of the shin in place. It should all fit, although snugly. I run AP & TK boots too.