Is 3D scanning wrong?

It's almost impossible to get a highly accurate newer movie models such as Rogue One tk's/scarif troopers...<br><br>

But would it be wrong to 3D scan let's say a miniture hasbro scale model (The titanium series) or some hot toys RO tk and up size it for 3d printing and personal use.. (Key word, personal use) Most of the things they have seem to be accurate such as the TFA tk...<br><br><br>

We all know lucasfilm/disney isn't going to just lend us the models, like they usually do to license holders...<br><br>

Just how wrong is it?

Well, since it's for personal use then there should be no debate in my opinion. Go for it.

But, sadly, I am not sure how accurate the Hasbro buckets are compared to the movie ones..

Edited by T K

I'm trying to do something similar with a Hot Toy trooper. Still not the same as printing actual 3D files. Still tons of work involved cleaning up the 3D image. We're just not there yet. We're still trying but I may scrap the project.

Whatever you plan on scanning, plan on having to cut it apart for scanning. You also have to prime each part; It can't be glossy or the laser just jumps around looking for a matte surface.

I think your question is; 'Is it recasting'. I think not, as long as a person doesn't use a base that is already a fan sculpt, such as TM is purported to be. I think as long we don't use full sized costumes we are in the clear.

Yeah, there's so much cleanup work that needs to be done that it's really only good for basic reference.  By the time you clean it up (re-topolgize it) it's practically something else.