Christian's ANH Stunt build thread [RS]

The nice UPS guy dropped off a huge parcel for me today - my Big Brown Box from RS Prop Masters :D So exciting!

IMG_2706_zpst2cfzdmk.jpg

I unpacked everything and spread it out on the floor for the mandatory "armor-on-floor" picture:

IMG_2710_zpsn54mnojy.jpg

In the spirit of the season, Rob, Simon and the RS team even included a Christmas card in my package - definitely got me smiling :)

IMG_2711_zpsxwsk5viu.jpg

Only one thing made me kinda sad. I had a crack in the top right corner of my kidney plate - it must have gotten damaged during transport:

IMG_2708_zpsjbfurppy.jpg

Any ideas how to fix it?

Anyways, I'll deal with that later - gotta get trimming first, as soon as I get the time :) I'm 187cm tall (about 6'2) and about 170 pounds, so I figure I won't need to do a lot of adjustments in terms of the size of each part? 

So... Now I just need to figure out what to get started on first. I was thinking I would:

• Cut out the necessary cover strips (15mm for arms and 25mm for legs, right?)
  • Rough trim all the parts
  • Assemble the forearms and biceps 

Are there any experienced builders who have any better ideas, I'm all ears :)

Also, did I pair these up correctly?:

IMG_2713_zpstpw05mff.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsgp6q4pu1.jpg

Looking forward to getting started for real! :D

Thanks in advance for your help,

-Christian

Edited by Chrelle

Great news about your BBB, I also can't see your photos, this thread may be of help http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/48-posting-images-in-threads-2015/

Hi Christian, great pictures of your BBB day. :) I know how you feel! <br>

That the kidney piece is broken is too bad. I would suggest that you send an email to RS with a picture of the part. I'm pretty sure that they send a replacement part. <br><br>

Best regards <br>

Christian

Happy BBB Day :)

If you cannot get the cracked piece replaced (from all I have heard, I think they will replace it), you can always patch it from the inside with a strip of surplus ABS, as long as you keep both edges of the split nice and clean and tight together, it will reduce to a hairline and be hardly noticeable, especially if its the edge your belt will cover.

Hi Christian really don't think you will have any issues getting a replacement from RS ,I'm just bit ahead of you with my my build went for rough trimming the limbs first just to get my eye in oh and messed about with the TD for a sense of accomplishment

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone :)

I will send RS an e-mail with a picture of my cracked kidney piece, and hopefully we can work something out.

Chopper857: sounds like a good strategy, I might try my hand at the TD first, and do some rough trimming to get the hang of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Christian,

Welcome, glad to have another RS guy on board. I'm in the early phases of my build. Finished assembly of the arms and moving on to chest and back.

Happy to help if you have questions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will send RS an e-mail with a picture of my cracked kidney piece, and hopefully we can work something out.

Hey Christian, 

I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with Rob over at RS Props regarding replacement pieces.  They're awesome.  They've replaced several pieces in my kit very quickly and without any issues.  They'll take care of you for sure.  

I'll be following your build.  Have fun with it!  :)

@Fragarock: Thank you very much! I have been watching your thread with great interest while waiting for my kit :)

@Cricket: I sent an e-mail to Rob last night explaining my predicament - waiting for his reply now :) When I was assembling my helmet this summer, he also sent me a free set of replacement ears because I managed to muck one of them up - free of charge! Great service!

Speaking of mucking up: I was assembling my TD and coming along great - was scoring and snapping away when my knife slipped. Twice! Here is a picture:

IMG_2715_zpsnral8nrv.jpg

Should I be panicking? The scratches are only superficial, and I have heard that Novus is great for cleaning up armor scratches, so I figure I'll get my hands of some and clean it up later :) Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Christian

@Novak Dimon: I've learned my lesson, I'll take it slow from now on. I guess when it comes to armor building, patience isn't my strong suit :P

Scratches or no scratches, I decided to bust out the E6000 and glue the plate onto the pipe:

IMG_2716_zps0uir0cwo.jpg

I also got my TD end caps trimmed down to 20mm:

IMG_2717_zpsjuufvdgt.jpg

So, hopefully my thermal detonator will be good to go once the paint cures (and I get the scratches buffed out of course). Looking forward to having something finished :D

Kind regards,

-Christian

@Novak Dimon: Aah, so you speak from experience :P Good to know I'm not the only one :)

I had today off, so in a frenzy of white plastic and flashing lexan scissors I rough trimmed most of my parts:

IMG_2726_zpsxztsqncu.jpg

Now my thumb hurts from all the trimming :P

Also, last night I painted the screws on my TD black, so now I have one finished piece! Hello, sense of accomplishment :D

IMG_2727_zpsj3etma1w.png

I also finished trimming my belt front, so I should be ready to attach it to the fabric belt as soon as I drill the holes:

IMG_2728_zpszibygmao.png

And that's it for now, please give a shout out if you spot any mistakes - I'd like my suit to be as good as it possibly can be.

Sincerely,

-Christian

So, I'm currently working on the forearms. Inspired by fragarock's build thread, I decided to cut a swoop in my left inner forearm piece. I marked out 1,5 inches (or 3,81cm  :P ) from the edge and penciled in the cut line:

IMG_2729_zpskrtxnty6.jpg

Then I cut it with my lexan scissors. The result can be seen here, along with the other forearm parts:

IMG_2743_zpsrv5dttwa.jpg

I've marked my forearms with tape where I want the cover strip to go on the ridged part of the forearms. 8 mm on each part:

IMG_2742_zps4ujp2oas.jpg

Then I wrapped some tape around the pieces to try and fit them to my arms, in order to determine how much material I need to remove from the non-ridged parts of the forearms. Pictures below:

The left forearm:

IMG_2744_zpsfywe5tgm.jpg

IMG_2745_zpsxep4nxxk.jpg

IMG_2746_zpspitf2hyg.jpg

And the right one:

IMG_2748_zps9kkbhwfz.jpg

IMG_2749_zpsb5le194w.jpg

IMG_2750_zps25dh1o3l.jpg

They fit my arms nicely like this, and I can get my hands through the wrist openings. I'll of course need to cut the excess wrist portion off the inner right forearm piece, but I figure I'll do it when I have the proper circumference on the piece. 

I'm worried that the wrist openings might be too large - does anyone have any thoughts on this? :)

Also, if the fit looks all right to you guys, my plan is to:

1. Measure the overlap between forearm pieces
  2. Divide overlap by 2
  3. Trim both pieces equally, in the amount needed
  4. Glue outer cover strip onto ridged part
  5. Glue inner cover strip onto ridged part for extra strength
  6. Glue outer cover strip onto non-ridged part
  7. Glue inner cover strip onto non-ridged part

Does this make sense? And is it a reasonable plan?

I've read that in can be a bit of a struggle getting the RS forearm parts to come together, which is why my plan is to attach both outer and inner cover strips to one side, before attaching cover strips to the opposite side.

I hope you guys can help; I figured I'd draw on the collective wisdom of these forums before I just started slicing and dicing my forearms  :D

On a side note: going to see Rogue One tonight at the premiere - I can hardly wait! For some reason it premieres a couple of days early here in Scandinavia - I promise to keep this thread spoiler-free  ;)

Sincerely,

-Christian

Edited by Chrelle

Agreed. Do the ridge side first. You may want to trim off the excess material at the wrist end of the inside half. After I got the ends aligned I glued my inner strips along the ridge side. Then fitted and trimmed where the halves meet up at the back. Then did that inner strip, then did both the outer strips.

Keep at it, it's hard to visualize the process of measuring, cutting, fitting, gluing, etc..until you've done it. The right forearm will go faster.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hi Christian, I trimed the ridge side like you have done and then used duct tape on the inside of that edge it's strong enough to hold and gives u a flexi hinge which does help a lot with sizing and trimming of the excess of the other side

Thank you for the advice everyone - I appreciate it :)

Satisfied with the fit, I trimmed off the excess from the non-ridged side of the forearm, as well as the excess of plastic on the wrist side of the right inner forearm piece:

IMG_2760_zpsrs6pawqr.jpg

Here are the left forearm pieces lined up, ready to glue:

IMG_2757_zpsdc3n3npd.jpg

...after test-fitting the cover strip of course  :) :

IMG_2758_zps7ysgmelp.jpg

Here is the left forearm (ridge side), all glued up with clamps and magnets:

IMG_2759_zpsiz2k8sjx.jpg

I repeated the process for the right forearm - indeed it did go faster than the left :) Here they both are, curing:

IMG_2762_zpsg80obnml.jpg

When they're done curing, I'll install the inner cover strip on the ridge side, and then get started on the opposite side  :duim:

Sincerely,

-Christian

Brinkhouse: thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words - it means a lot for this first time builder :) I am definitely having fun with this build, all the while trying to find a balance between savoring the experience and wanting to be done as quickly as possible - I'm sure you guys can relate :D

Just a tiny update: while gluing up the forearms and waiting for them to cure, I decided to trim the thigh ammo pack, using the TD as a guide:

IMG_2763_zpsoigrckdl.jpg

IMG_2764_zpszjsricnu.jpg

I also completed my belt! I was so excited and enveloped in the process, that I completely forgot to take pictures of it (oops) - but here is the finished result:

IMG_2765_zpsrc91oq1m.jpg

IMG_2766_zpscemajk1z.jpg

And of course, a picture of me wearing it :P :

IMG_2767_zpswue9opok.jpg

That's it for now :) I am leaving today to spend Christmas with my family, so I won't be posting any updates for the next week. Have a great Christmas everyone :)

Sincerely,

-Christian

Edited by Chrelle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope all of you had a great Christmas and New Year's Eve, I know I did  :)

After almost 10 days without working on my TK costume, my fingers were itching to get back to it! Today I took a go at the biceps. I didn't get any good shots of the trimming or fitting process, but it wasn't all that interesting anyway. I just overlapped the pieces on my biceps, measured the overlap, and cut equal amounts from both the inner and outer parts. Here is the (unglued) result:

Left:

IMG_2774_zps6q7gctct.png

IMG_2775_zpsnnejpv40.jpg

Right:

IMG_2776_zpsezbjwixj.png

IMG_2777_zpsv7ll74c3.jpg

They fit quite snugly, but I am still able to put them on and take them off with relative ease, as well as flex my biceps   :D As far as I understand, that is the correct fit - right?

Do give a shout out if you see anything that needs correcting - otherwise I will glue them up ASAP  :jc_doublethumbup:

Sincerely,

-Christian