Question regarding optional and non-optional equipment

Tiderion

This might be a bit of a technicality, but it's particularly relevant to the path I'd like to take, so here it goes:

The E-11 holster is listed under the "Required" section, however the E-11 is considered optional, and listed alongside of it is the DLT-19 blaster.

I have ordered and plan on trooping with a DLT-19 blaster, which is acceptable according to the requirements, but it seems odd to me that I would be required to attach and use an E-11 holster if I never plan on using one.

Is the E-11 holster still a required part of the costume if you're not using one?

It's required because with one or two minor costume flubs, every TK has one in the OT. We can't make the blaster required since that's against 501st policy. The only exceptions are light saber hilts for SL's.

FWIW, how you get your costume/EI/Centurion accepted and how you troop are different. You'll need it to get your TK approved, but you could always troop sans the holster for non-formal events if you want.

Another use for the holster is a place to store trading cards.  When blasters are not permitted - hospitals, some theme parks, etc. - I stuff a piece of foam in my holster and put in a stack of trading cards. They are so easy to reach down and grab one to hand out. 

For me, trooping with a blaster makes it hard to store my cards to hand out.

• Like 2