Jaltrooper's ANH Stunt "Tall Guy / Newbie" AM 2.0 Build

Thanks Tony and Chris!<br><br>

I had some great help...very much appreciated!<br><br>

100%...this was a EIB to Centurion build...so once I am an official TK, there will be submissions on the way showing the details.<br><br>

I just need to do the cleaning up on the fit and it'll be done.

Looks amazing!  Great work, Jon!

It could be the pic, but have you lined up your drop boxes to the edges of the belt?  In this pic, it looks like the drop box is positioned inside of the belt a bit.  Maybe it's just how the photo was taken....

32910178336_d2ebbb971e_o.jpg

They are lined up right on the edge. Used a framing square with my cutting mat measurements. I either moved it with my thigh or my belt came un-snapped from the ab (one of my fixes that needs to happen).<br><br>

I'll show that when I post my belt build.

Here is my "punch list" for the items I plan on doing:

1. Slight "hot bath" adjustment at shoulders to straighten / center straps to keep them centered.

2. Install Thigh ammo belt (done)

3. Install holster (done)

4. Lower thigh / garter system by 1 1/2 inches for proper gap / fit (done) 

5. Install right side kidney-to-ab "hold snap plate" to eliminate overlap and keep it properly located.(will post build to show / explain)

6. Install foam in shoulder bells and shins to eliminate need to "adjust" 

7. Remove / reinstall snap on ab-to-belt with "popper" snaps for better hold

8. re-do shin closures with magnets using cricket's idea (thanks Cricket!!)

And to finish the helmet:

Custom lens install (own design)

Plasti-dip interior (done) 

install frown mesh (done / trooperbay mesh)

Review / complete electronics upgrades & fans

I don't see anything that will keep me from my basic / troopable approval and will submit to my GML this evening when I get the holster on and the lenses in. 

At least I'll have time to get the builds in now! Haha.

Thanks Sol!

Got up early this morning...finished the helmet...installed did my final coat on all rivets and clean up...installed foam and wiped out 95% of the "punch list".

Submitting pics for my GML...then on to EIB submission. hopefully you will all know me henceforth as "TK....." hahaha.

Will put in build pics for remaining items shortly.

Here's how I did the belt.

I placed the belt upside down and marked the top / bottom using the plastic belt piece:

20170211_015315_zpss3p3xro1.jpg

With the belt being 3" and the plastic being right at 4", to angle the ends I took a 1/2" in / 1/2" out block in the corners then connected the two lines on the edge...then cut along those lines. This gave me the 45 degree angle on the corners of the belt. 

20170211_015311_zpsnslxsj2m.jpg

I drilled out the pre-drilled holes so I could mark / keep the belt in place throughout the build:

20170211_015325_zpsfggkllmd.jpg

Once I marked where the plastic goes...I measured the belt and taped it in place level with the bottom of the ab button plate:

20170212_055853_zpseunzsqvl.jpg

I also taped the "snap caps" on the second ammo box from the end.

20170212_055859_zpsiusfj3vk.jpg

I measured and marked the snap locations onto the ab plate.

20170212_055916_zpssyqwigaj.jpg

20170212_060257_zpsle1ioo2n.jpg

I made the snaps 2mm down from the edge of the canvas belt.

Then installed the belt to ab snap (females) on the belt.

20170212_074906_zpswyebhbjs.jpg

Was mad about my punch going missing...I found it for the holster install, but had to use my soldering iron (creates a 5/32 hole...and prevents the canvas from fraying.) downside is the ugly burn mark which gets covered by the rivet and washer anyway. 

Cut my drop box elastic (10" / soldering iron to the edges) checked where those need to be to have the drop boxes line up with the belt edge and installed them.  I had to cut "around" where the rivets were to go, So they did not get in the way of using washers on the rivets (you always need to use washers on the back side of  a rivet when possible to give it something to "grip".

20170212_074941_zpsgo6vhzy3.jpg

I use this to "score" four small lines into the male part of the snaps, it gives a nice / even lay down in the snap and makes for a great install.

20170212_074911_zps7zckjatd.jpg

20170212_080542_zpsxk4hv255.jpg

I also used some loctite fabric adhesive to keep my drop box elastic in position as much as I can. 

20170212_091645_zpsh4pbcutt.jpg

Riveted on the drop boxes (used my speed square and cutting mat to make sure they were perfectly aligned with the edges of the belt. after that I get this:

20170215_214014_zpscozmpwei.jpg

Before I added the rivet covers I did a test fit. after that...I took the "heat gun" (Mrs. Trooper's pink blow dryer...does a great job!) and an old Stainless Pot...and I gently heated up the ends (wearing gloves) and bent each half slightly to conform a little to the ab section. This keeps the belt looking less rigid as well.

20170215_215126_zpspttruufc.jpg  

After the left

20170215_215130_zpsxtepdz8j.jpg

There you have it!

20170218_154349_zpspnalrl34.jpg

20170218_154355_zpsgme9qjho.jpg

20170218_154327_zpsmp0rp2eb.jpg

Working hard!

I have my Pics in to the GML, and my official application in to the 501st. A glorious day indeed!

Having said that, I did all my yapping up front, then focused on the build, and haven't put as much in for the "newbie" side as I should...so I'll do that now. 

What I wanted to do was add some things I noticed / saw and learned through the process, and hopefully it can save time and issues on the back end for my fellow newbies building the AM armor (or any for that matter). So, here are my top 10 "Newbie" tips

1. In order to build a good set of armor, you have to read and research several builds. Tony (above) has 2 awesome builds (1 Anovos / one AM 1.0) that I was able to reference, along with others doing a AM 2.0 build (Bloopertrooper, Navajo Bro, Ryno Hawk...and a few more). But I did want to put this disclaimer in there...your armor fits you, and your set, even if from the same manufacturer, could be different. What I mean is, maybe it cured tighter than another set, maybe there were items that caused it to be at different angles, shapes, etc. My point is, never just go off of the measurements of others...check, re-check and double check YOUR armor and YOUR fit. Why? 57mm may be 61mm on your armor. Your belt may be thicker, longer, etc...my point is, use the other builds as a guide...but ALWAYS check with the armor and the pieces to your build and fit before doing ANY adjustments, trimming or cutting to the armor. Best advice I can give.

2. As above - Measure 3x / cut once...you see that everywhere. But I would also add, SLOW DOWN. I made more "mistakes" in the last week trying to get done than I did in the Month prior. Something to be said about that. 

3. Be as prepared with equipment as you can...but don't over-do it. I bought $60 in dremel bits...and only used the sanding drum. I bought "aviation snips" and used them 2x (could have used my tin snips). My point is, double check your existing tools, and if you can substitute, do it. I would guess I have about $120 of things I really didn't need

4. Change your utility knife and Exacto blades regularly. the smoother the cut, the easier it is. 

5. Fit as much as you can. Use that painter's tape and get the armor on. Nothing will substitute for a good fit than actually wearing the armor. and seeing where it lays on you. 

6. Trust your instinct...and develop your own ideas also. I have a couple of spots where I am very proud of how I went ahead and did things (non-approval related) using my own idea or ingenuity. That is what is fun about the build part. It isn't just fun, but you could be helping others along the way.  

7. Take the time to do a build thread. as above, people will have a look, see and help. Much easier to get advice and assistance when the folks who have been there before can get eyes-on!

8. Be sure to sand your contact areas where gluing. I re-did 2 pieces from rushing and not sanding. E-6000 (or whatever adhesive you choose) will hold 1000x better if you sand the contact areas prior to applying glue. 

9. Make sure you cover the entire area with the adhesive, spread it with a craft stick. Also, let the E-6000 "pre cure" for about 2-3 minutes before adhering, you will avoid as much "mess" and it'll hold better while you clamp / magnet.

10. Finally, enjoy the time you are building. This is a LOT of fun. I never in a hundred years would have thought I would have been building models at 47 years old (neither did Mrs. Trooper! Haha). I turned on the music, got to look at a bunch of "Star Wars details"...movie pics and other great stuff. Who wouldn't enjoy this? I get it...just felt like adding a little reminder in there. Have FUN!!!

Anyway, I really thought the AM 2.0 was the right choice for me and my height. Most of the adjustments I made were on width, but the height, for my tall frame, I think fit right on point. And, don;t forget the Blaster! Have fun with that too!

I'll keep tweaking right up to my EIB and Centurion submissions, but am really excited about getting that TK #! I'll post my submission here for everyone to see all detail. 

Wish me Luck!!!

Jon

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 3

I case anyone is curious...haha!

20170223_190837_zpsh0qo8zpq.jpg

20170223_192142_zpsdomdlzcv.jpg

20170223_191052_zpsebvawokp.jpg

20170223_191134_zps446uzvgy.jpg

20170223_192405_zps9qxpruco.jpg

The Plinker

20170223_191206_zpswicg2hkz.jpg

The Thinker...

20170223_191242_zpsfqiegyie.jpg

AAAAND...The STINKER!!!

20170223_191303_zpsf7xa3yvd.jpg

Photos taken by my 10 year old little girl...who set up her "studio" and thinks her Father is near insane dressing up in shiny plastic! Haha!

Thanks again for all the help and support everyone!

• Like 1